The Unbreakable Child by Kim Michele…

The Unbreakable Child (edition 2010)

by Kim Michele Richardson, William F. McMurry (Afterword), David Clohessy (Foreword), Father Thomas Doyle J.C.D. C.A.D.C. (Foreword)

319357,052 (3.71)None
Title:The Unbreakable Child
Authors:Kim Michele Richardson
Other authors:William F. McMurry (Afterword), David Clohessy (Foreword), Father Thomas Doyle J.C.D. C.A.D.C. (Foreword)
Info:Behler Publications (2010), Edition: Second Edition, Paperback, 218 pages
Tags:2011, abuse

The Unbreakable Child by Kim Michele Richardson

Review to come later. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
Couldn't put it down! What happened in that catholic orphanage should never happen to anyone! We must be vigilant and stop this!
  lilwolfmisty | Apr 11, 2013 |
A harrowing story of a horrific childhood. ( )
  bookalover89 | Feb 10, 2011 |
My book club purchased the new paperback edition for our Jan read and agreed; this story needs to be shared with the world. A powerful and gripping story about brutal orphan abuse which resonates with the current clergy abuse scandals. Hopeful and healing and forgiving and unforgettable. This book will haunt you. ( )
  Wordcartage | Feb 6, 2011 |
The Unbreakable Child is like no other book about child abuse, which is why it makes it special. Kim Michele Richardson exposes abuse while at the same time brings us to the present. We watch a child—who went through unthinkable horrors—become unbreakable. It’s an original way of exposing abuse to the world by giving us the past and present, along with reminding us that no one is untouchable. I commend Kim on her courage to write about such things that the Church swept under the carpet for so long. Even though her abuse happened behind the walls of a Catholic orphanage, abuse is everywhere and something we should always try to wipe out.

In this memoir, Kim reveals the horrifying abuse her and her sister’s went through at the hands of Catholic priests and nuns, and then we see how she has overcome those abuses. It’s like she turned on a light for us to see a bit of her past, present and future—past abuse, a healthy productive present and still fighting for justice. I cried for the young Kim, and smiled for the adult Kim—the one who decided not to be a victim and showed us she IS “the unbreakable child”. ( )
  DeniseBaer | Dec 15, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 160164163X, Hardcover)

Grim yet ultimately inspiring, this harrowing biography catalogues years of institutional abuse that took place in the Saint Thomas–Saint Vincent Orphan Asylum, a Catholic orphanage in Anchorage, Kentucky. After many years of neglect by their drug-addicted mother, Kim and her three older sisters were abandoned to the uncharitable care of the Sisters of Charity. Detailing daily regimens of physical and mental abuse at the hands of the nuns, this chilling memoir explains how the Roman Catholic Church kept the orphanage hidden from prying eyes, miles from any main thoroughfare, allowing mistreatment to continue for decades. Describing her life through adulthood and the decision to finally expose the injustices after more than 30 years, this courageous tale chronicles the lawsuit initiated by 45 survivors, the two years of litigation, and the first successful prosecution of a lawsuit against Roman Catholic nuns in the US for decades of abuse in an orphanage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:44 -0400)

"A harrowing account of the sexual, physical, and psychological abuse of orphans in a Roman Catholic orphanage and the subsequent legal action against the nuns and priest abusers as told by a survivor"--Provided by publisher.

Kim Michele Richardson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,906,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible