The Complete Persepolis (2003)

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-4)

Persepolis is the story of Marjane Satrapi's childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland.… (more)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (JessamyJane)
    Marzi by Marzena Sowa (meggyweg)
    A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached (Felipe-F)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America and American in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Iran of the late 20th century was a country of contradictions. Private and public lives, religious and secular lives, and men's and women's lives existed in direct opposition. Read thought-provoking, true-life stories about this in Persepolis and Lipstick Jihad.… (more)
    The Arab of the Future by Riad Sattouf (hilge)
    The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Shadows is for a younger audience, but it deals with some of the same themes and cultural ideas as the more adult Persepolis.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuściński (wookiebender)
    wookiebender: A non-fiction book about the lead-up to the Iranian revolution (plus a bit post-revolution), I found this an interesting companion piece.
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (sduff222)
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (alexmuninn)
    Boxers & Saints Boxed Set by Gene Luen Yang (CGlanovsky)
    Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel by Anya Ulinich (charl08)
    Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea by Guy Delisle (Lucky-Loki)
    Persia Blues, vol. 1: Leaving Home by Dara Naraghi (CassandraStrand)
    CassandraStrand: Both books deal with girls growing up under the restrictions of post-revolutionary Iran and their "escape" to the West.
    Kaboul Disco, Tome 1 : Comment je ne me suis pas fait kidnapper en Afghanistan by Nicolas Wild (zasmine)
    Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan (Maiasaura)
    Barefoot Gen: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima, Volume 1 by Keiji Nakazawa (LKAYC)
    Unterzakhn by Leela Corman (greydoll)
    greydoll: Graphic novel about lives of Jewish immigrant women in New York in early 20th century

English (211)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (224)
A phenomenal graphic novel about a young girl, Marjane, as she grows up in Iran during the revolution. The novel could easily be a simple coming-of-age story if it weren't for the disruption of violence and oppression. This book is a powerful story of how families survive hardship together, and what trauma does to a person. Highly recommended. ( )
  dafnab | Oct 21, 2020 |
If you want to understand more about Iran in the 70s and 80s, read this book. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Sep 8, 2020 |
I debated whether to give this 3 or 4 stars & would opt for 3 1/2 if it were available. This is the first graphic novel (although this was a memoir) I've read and it was a quick easy read. The author's story (as a young girl growing up in revolutionary Iran) was compelling however I would have preferred to have read it in a narrative form rather than as a graphic novel.

Because of the format the emotional connection with Marjane and her family wasn't as deep as I think it could have been. I also would have liked to have learned more than I did due to the limitations of the genre. Although, since finishing the book yesterday I have found myself thinking about Marjane's story in a way I might not have otherwise.

In summary I feel this is a worthwhile read, especially for those who may not have previously explored the genre. Persepolis was a book-club pick and the author's story in this particular genre should make for an interesting and thought-provoking discussion. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
3.5/5 ( )
  Lisa_Francine | Aug 5, 2020 |
This was so unique and engaging, I had a hard time putting it down. I didn't know quite what to expect when I picked it up but I was intrigued by the concept of a memoir being presented as a comic strip of sorts. I thoroughly enjoyed the book's approach and I learned a lot about Iran, although I was once again humbled to think about how little I knew as a young adult when the Iranian revolution was playing out. I was at college then and we had many Iranian students on campus. I remember that they (a) couldn't go home and (b) we were very uncomfortable around them because of the American embassy hostage crisis.

Reading Satrapi's story of her life at that time and the lives of other Iranians is a reminder of how easy it is to be sheltered from what's going on in other parts of the world.

One note of caution: at first I thought this would be an interesting read for my 8th grader because she's an advanced reader and also an artist. But as I got further into the book, I realized it had mature content and I was glad I didn't give it to my daughter to read. Maybe when she's an older teen but not now.

jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |

Satrapi, Marjaneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CélineLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singh, AnjaliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.
This is the Complete Persepolis (books 1-4 or books I+II).
Some editions such as ISBN 009952399X are only called Persepolis, but contain the Complete Persepolis.

A one-volume edition of Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, living as a teenage expatriate in Austria, and returning to live as a young adult in Islamic Iran.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,774,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible