The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Complete Persepolis (2003)

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-4)

Recently added byfelipesiguenza, ikokai, mckCave7, jevins, private library, Hellblazer, SalishSchool, nams55, tjaruczyk
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (JessamyJane)
    A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached (Felipe-F)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America and American in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Iran of the late 20th century was a country of contradictions. Private and public lives, religious and secular lives, and men's and women's lives existed in direct opposition. Read thought-provoking, true-life stories about this in Persepolis and Lipstick Jihad.… (more)
    Marzi by Marzena Sowa (meggyweg)
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (sduff222)
    The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Shadows is for a younger audience, but it deals with some of the same themes and cultural ideas as the more adult Persepolis.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuściński (wookiebender)
    wookiebender: A non-fiction book about the lead-up to the Iranian revolution (plus a bit post-revolution), I found this an interesting companion piece.
    Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel by Anya Ulinich (charl08)
    Boxers & Saints Boxed Set by Gene Luen Yang (CGlanovsky)
    Kabul Disco by Niclolas Wild (zasmine)
    Persia Blues, vol. 1: Leaving Home by Dara Naraghi (CassandraStrand)
    CassandraStrand: Both books deal with girls growing up under the restrictions of post-revolutionary Iran and their "escape" to the West.
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (alexmuninn)
    Unterzakhn by Leela Corman (greydoll)
    greydoll: Graphic novel about lives of Jewish immigrant women in New York in early 20th century
    Barefoot Gen: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima, Volume 1 by Keiji Nakazawa (LKAYC)
    The Pride of Bagdad (Maiasaura)

English (161)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Czech (1)  All (1)  French (1)  All (173)
A graphic novel about an Iranian growing up in the time of the revolution. I found the book fascinating. I learned a lot about this woman's life. I also learned a lot about the views of at least this woman. However, I must say I didn't like the protagonist. She was critical of people who didn't think like her and noticed when they were hypocritical. And yet she didn't have enough self-awareness to see when she did the same thing. Definitely interesting. Would recommend. ( )
  KamGeb | Apr 10, 2017 |
Two fine graphic novels, brought together in one.
In the first volume, subtitled 'The Story of a Childhood' Marjane Satrapi tells, in stark black and white drawings of growing up in a privileged family during and after the 1979 revolution in Iran and the subsequent war with Iraq. A difficult and precocious child, Marjane inevitably clashes with the oppressive theocratic state, and, for her safety is sent to overseas by her parents.

The second volume, 'The Story of a Return' picks up Marjane Satrapi's story with an account of her difficulties as a foriegner in an alien land, leading to her return to Iran, where despite education and marriage, she cannot find her place. ( )
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Insight into a world and a mindset I have never encountered, many heavy philosophical and psychological themes are touched on in a light manner: a case study rather than a lecture. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
This is the second graphic memoir I've read. I found the story interesting, and it has helped me understand better the cultural situation in Iran, but it doesn't help me understand the benefits of the genre over just straight-up memoir without the "graphic" part. I'm just not clear on what the artwork adds. There are a few places where there seem to be missing details and/or the storytelling just doesn't seem solid, and the artwork doesn't make up for those shortcomings. So far my favorite thing about graphic memoirs is that I can read them faster than text-only books, which makes them a satisfying choice for read-a-thon reading. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Oct 31, 2016 |
This is a great graphic novel. I truly loved reading it and was very very moved by the story. There is so much emotion and growth, I think I will need to reread this book again in a few years as I grow older. ( )
  ceciliachard | Oct 24, 2016 |

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CélineLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singh, AnjaliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.
This is the Complete Persepolis (books 1-4 or books I+II).
Some editions such as ISBN 009952399X are only called Persepolis, but contain the Complete Persepolis.

A one-volume edition of Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, living as a teenage expatriate in Austria, and returning to live as a young adult in Islamic Iran.

Here, in one volume: Marjane Satrapi's best-selling, internationally acclaimed memoir-in-comic-strips.

Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's unforgettable childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland. It is the chronicle of a girlhood and adolescence at once outrageous and familiar, a young life entwined with the history of her country yet filled with the universal trials and joys of growing up.

Edgy, searingly observant, and candid, often heartbreaking but threaded throughout with raw humor and hard-earned wisdom--Persepolis is a stunning work from one of the most highly regarded, singularly talented graphic artists at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Collects a two-part graphic memoir, in which the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor and the daughter of ardent Marxists describes growing up in Tehran, a country plagued by political upheaval and vast contradictions between public and private life.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible