The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Complete Persepolis

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-4)

Recently added byMediana, Daisy_zn, tomgirl571, Litblog, private library, Alaina83, singedelespace, tbirds, DooshBoring
    Maus : a survivor's tale I by Art Spiegelman (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (JessamyJane)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Shadows is for a younger audience, but it deals with some of the same themes and cultural ideas as the more adult Persepolis.
    A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached (Felipe-F)
    Marzi by Marzena Sowa (meggyweg)
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (sduff222)
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuściński (wookiebender)
    wookiebender: A non-fiction book about the lead-up to the Iranian revolution (plus a bit post-revolution), I found this an interesting companion piece.
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (alexmuninn)
    Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel by Anya Ulinich (charl08)
    Kabul Disco by Niclolas Wild (zasmine)
    Unterzakhn by Leela Corman (greydoll)
    greydoll: Graphic novel about lives of Jewish immigrant women in New York in early 20th century
    Barefoot Gen, Vol. 1: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima by Keiji Nakazawa (LKAYC)
    The Pride of Bagdad (Maiasaura)

English (137)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Czech (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (148)
Por fin entiendo un poco mejor el conflicto Irán-Iraq y al Oriente Medio en general. Simplemente genial. ( )
  5oclockgazpacho | Nov 22, 2014 |
One of my favorite books. Just an absolutely fantastic view into the mid- to late-20th century world of what Iran was going through at the time, told in a very entertaining way. Was super glad this was assigned reading in a class I had in my undergrad, easiest assignment ever. ( )
  gschweig | Nov 5, 2014 |
4.5/5

My first memories of Iraq and Iran consist of mixing the names up, having nothing more than the vague knowledge from television talkers that someone was fighting someone and we, the United States, were fighting everyone. Persia was where my best friend in first grade was from, a place she once told me didn't exist anymore before she changed schools in third grade and we completely lost contact with each other. The intervening years between then and now filled up with reports of war and terrorism and an overwhelming fear mongering, leaving me with the feeling I was being force fed bullshit at such an insidious level that I couldn't even trust myself to seek out the least poisoned method of discovering the other side of the story. Since upgrading the status of literature in my life from hobby to livelihood, I've had more time to get down to the bottom of Introduction to Iran 101 - Autodidact Style entry on the neverending Lit bucket list, and I have to say, I can't imagine a better way than this book.

Graphic novel, really, but with [Watchmen] on the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list and [The Complete Maus] regularly touted as a modern classic, the faster the academic niches of capital L Literature come to terms with the more than capable qualities of the Graphic Novel in terms of Meaning and Importance and yadda yadda yadda, the better. Three hundred years ago it was the novel in Europe, two millenia ago it was the writing things down in general in Greece,, and really, if you can find a memoir that is erudite as it is hilarious as it is heartbreaking as it is politically conscious in a social justice manner as it is life affirming as it is of a country that has for decades been horrendously misconstrued six ways to Sunday by the United States as this one, please, let me know.

Member of the Guardians of the Revolution (MGR): Madam, why were you running?
Marjane: I'm very late! I was running to catch my bus.
MGR: Yes..but...when you run, your behind makes movements that are...how do you say...obscene!
Marjane: WELL THEN DON'T LOOK AT MY ASS!

I yelled so loudly that they didn't even arrest me.

One of the first popular conceptions that comes to my mind when I think on Iran is how bad the women in that country have it. Now, the Wikipedia page for Rape culture states: According to Michael Parenti, rape culture manifests through the acceptance of rapes as an everyday occurrence, and even a male prerogative. It can be exacerbated by police apathy in handling rape cases, as well as victim blaming, reluctance by the authorities to go against patriarchial cultural norms, as well as fears of stigmatization from rape victims and their families. That description is the United States, complete with dress codes, lack of sexual education regarding consent, incidents such as Steubenville and statistics such as 1 in 5 women in universities have been raped at some point during their enrollment. This commentary has nothing to do xenophobia of the civilized countries of the so called West, or with Iran consisting of all kinds of people worn down by death and fear and love of their homeland and culture being controlled by Persian fundamentalists, or the CIA's involvement in taking down countries so as to slake the US's lust for oil, or the fundamental differences between Iran and Iraq and Kuwait and all those other countries media crews love to lump together and poke at, but it does have to do with my basis for relating with Marjane and her growth from child to adult. In comparison to the big picture of her story, it's not much, but it is enough to get me off my commonly accepted high horse of US superiority and start listening.

Marjane: 'I don't want to leave the country right away.'
Reza: 'It's because you are still nostalgic. You'll see, a year from now people will disgust you. Always interfering in things that don't concern them.'
Marjane: 'Maybe so, but in the West you can collapse in the street and no one will give you a hand.'

It's a crying shame that it took me this long to read a work that wonderfully cuts to the heart of that vague sensationalism that is the US's treatment of the Middle East. It's an even greater shame that this sort of work is a rare breed in the field of public perception. However, while it may have taken me the length of my own path from childhood to adulthood to experience a good introduction to the reality of things, a start in the right direction is a start. ( )
1 vote Korrick | Oct 23, 2014 |
Wasn't sure if I'd like this comic-book/memoir or not, but it really drew me in. Very well done. Also a quick, easy read. ( )
  aketzle | Sep 25, 2014 |
I expected this to be young adult because it was in the graphic novel section. I was wrong. This is a comic book, but the themes and issues are adult. It is political, and went over my head at times. I enjoyed the illustrations but found it difficult to understand. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singh, AnjaliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
This is the Complete Persepolis (books 1-4 or books I+II)

Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.

Editions with the ISBN of 0-224-08039-3, even though they are in most cases only called Persepolis, are the Complete Persepolis.

A one-volume edition of Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, living as a teenage expatriate in Austria, and returning to live as a young adult in Islamic Iran.

Here, in one volume: Marjane Satrapi's best-selling, internationally acclaimed memoir-in-comic-strips.

Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's unforgettable childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland. It is the chronicle of a girlhood and adolescence at once outrageous and familiar, a young life entwined with the history of her country yet filled with the universal trials and joys of growing up.

Edgy, searingly observant, and candid, often heartbreaking but threaded throughout with raw humor and hard-earned wisdom--Persepolis is a stunning work from one of the most highly regarded, singularly talented graphic artists at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:58 -0400)

Collects a two-part graphic memoir, in which the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor and the daughter of ardent Marxists describes growing up in Tehran, a country plagued by political upheaval and vast contradictions between public and private life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible