The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Complete Persepolis

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-4)

Recently added byprivate library, gchcoisne, CydMelcher, walktapus, Sassenach_pnw, Quimus, Kristin_Kern, UT_GSC
    Maus : a survivor's tale I by Art Spiegelman (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (JessamyJane)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Marzi by Marzena Sowa (meggyweg)
    A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached (Felipe-F)
    Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America and American in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Iran of the late 20th century was a country of contradictions. Private and public lives, religious and secular lives, and men's and women's lives existed in direct opposition. Read thought-provoking, true-life stories about this in Persepolis and Lipstick Jihad.… (more)
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (sduff222)
    The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Shadows is for a younger audience, but it deals with some of the same themes and cultural ideas as the more adult Persepolis.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuściński (wookiebender)
    wookiebender: A non-fiction book about the lead-up to the Iranian revolution (plus a bit post-revolution), I found this an interesting companion piece.
    Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel by Anya Ulinich (charl08)
    Boxers & Saints Boxed Set by Gene Luen Yang (CGlanovsky)
    Kabul Disco by Niclolas Wild (zasmine)
    Persia Blues, vol. 1: Leaving Home by Dara Naraghi (CassandraStrand)
    CassandraStrand: Both books deal with girls growing up under the restrictions of post-revolutionary Iran and their "escape" to the West.
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (alexmuninn)
    Unterzakhn by Leela Corman (greydoll)
    greydoll: Graphic novel about lives of Jewish immigrant women in New York in early 20th century
    Barefoot Gen, Vol. 1: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima by Keiji Nakazawa (LKAYC)
    The Pride of Bagdad (Maiasaura)

English (150)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Czech (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (160)
Great graphic novel that should be added to the list with other classic coming of age novels. Exceptional story, writing, and art. I will be having my daughter read this as well, for it has wonderful advice for young adults through out. ( )
  Kristin_Kern | Feb 2, 2016 |
Graphic novel. Interesting memoir about growing up in Iran. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
One of the 1st graphic novels I read & by far the best. I absolutely loved this book and highly recommend it. ( )
  AbsurdBookNerd | Dec 12, 2015 |
i reread this for a book group and I'm glad I did because I really didn't remember much of the story. Marjane is inspiring. She really puts it all out there to allow the reader to make a connection with her. Gorgeous. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CélineLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singh, AnjaliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.
This is the Complete Persepolis (books 1-4 or books I+II).
Some editions such as ISBN 009952399X are only called Persepolis, but contain the Complete Persepolis.

A one-volume edition of Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, living as a teenage expatriate in Austria, and returning to live as a young adult in Islamic Iran.

Here, in one volume: Marjane Satrapi's best-selling, internationally acclaimed memoir-in-comic-strips.

Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's unforgettable childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland. It is the chronicle of a girlhood and adolescence at once outrageous and familiar, a young life entwined with the history of her country yet filled with the universal trials and joys of growing up.

Edgy, searingly observant, and candid, often heartbreaking but threaded throughout with raw humor and hard-earned wisdom--Persepolis is a stunning work from one of the most highly regarded, singularly talented graphic artists at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Collects a two-part graphic memoir, in which the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor and the daughter of ardent Marxists describes growing up in Tehran, a country plagued by political upheaval and vast contradictions between public and private life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,019,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible