The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Complete Persepolis

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-4)

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (JessamyJane)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Shadows is for a younger audience, but it deals with some of the same themes and cultural ideas as the more adult Persepolis.
    A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached (Felipe-F)
    Marzi by Marzena Sowa (meggyweg)
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (sduff222)
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuściński (wookiebender)
    wookiebender: A non-fiction book about the lead-up to the Iranian revolution (plus a bit post-revolution), I found this an interesting companion piece.
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (alexmuninn)
    Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel by Anya Ulinich (charl08)
    Kabul Disco by Niclolas Wild (zasmine)
    Unterzakhn by Leela Corman (greydoll)
    greydoll: Graphic novel about lives of Jewish immigrant women in New York in early 20th century
    Barefoot Gen, Vol. 1: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima by Keiji Nakazawa (LKAYC)
    The Pride of Bagdad (Maiasaura)

English (135)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Czech (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (146)
I expected this to be young adult because it was in the graphic novel section. I was wrong. This is a comic book, but the themes and issues are adult. It is political, and went over my head at times. I enjoyed the illustrations but found it difficult to understand. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
This is an amazing graphic novel. The story is gripping and the artwork reminds me of woodcuts with its frequent use of black backgrounds and white lines to define the shapes. The artwork did a fantastic job showing Marji growing through her childhood to adulthood. It wasn't until a flashback panel when I realized that Marji had been physically growing the entire book. I usually don't think of comics as having a fluidity like that, so it was fascinating to see that effect coming from small changes accumulated over hundred of pages. I had a hard time putting the book down both because of the artwork and because of the story. I was relieved so many times that Marji made it through another scrape with death. I also appreciated the fact that the author didn't shy away from showing the darker aspects of her story. And her story gets very very dark, which is again reflected in the artwork. A marvelous book. ( )
  sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
I remember renting a copy of the film adaptation of this graphic novel back in 2005, and really enjoying it. The bonus footage featured an interview with Satrapi, and I remember admiring her fortitude and outspokeness, even as a child.

In all honesty though, the film didn't move me as much as the book did. It spoke volumes, and I came away with an appreciation for Satrapi, her strong and supportive family, and the nostalgic love she has for her country and its people. With so much propaganda that is spread either against or in support of Iran, it was refreshing to have a native's viewpoint that was both candid and accurate. ( )
  dreamydress48 | May 19, 2014 |
I did not read this book, I eat it. The story came by itself nicely written and painted, the author explain in a very easy way how was the islamic revolution in Iran and the impact that has in their population, it teach us a very human lesson. Highly recommended ( )
  CaroPi | May 6, 2014 |
Marjane SatrapiÛªs graphic memoir provides a child's perspective to adulthood of living in Iran during and after the Islamic Revolution. Satrapi is honest and candid in the portrayal of the times as well as the terror felt by the people. She is independent, liberated and very outspoken and it is evident in The Complete Persepolis. Absolutely brilliant and unique memoir as well as extremely clever using a pictorial form to share personal history.
  Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singh, AnjaliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
This is the Complete Persepolis (books 1-4 or books I+II)

Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.

Editions with the ISBN of 0-224-08039-3, even though they are in most cases only called Persepolis, are the Complete Persepolis.

A one-volume edition of Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, living as a teenage expatriate in Austria, and returning to live as a young adult in Islamic Iran.

Here, in one volume: Marjane Satrapi's best-selling, internationally acclaimed memoir-in-comic-strips.

Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's unforgettable childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland. It is the chronicle of a girlhood and adolescence at once outrageous and familiar, a young life entwined with the history of her country yet filled with the universal trials and joys of growing up.

Edgy, searingly observant, and candid, often heartbreaking but threaded throughout with raw humor and hard-earned wisdom--Persepolis is a stunning work from one of the most highly regarded, singularly talented graphic artists at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:58 -0400)

Collects a two-part graphic memoir, in which the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor and the daughter of ardent Marxists describes growing up in Tehran, a country plagued by political upheaval and vast contradictions between public and private life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,821,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible