The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Complete Persepolis

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-4)

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (JessamyJane)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (teelgee)
    Marzi by Marzena Sowa (meggyweg)
    A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached (Felipe-F)
    Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America and American in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Iran of the late 20th century was a country of contradictions. Private and public lives, religious and secular lives, and men's and women's lives existed in direct opposition. Read thought-provoking, true-life stories about this in Persepolis and Lipstick Jihad.… (more)
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (sduff222)
    The Shadows of Ghadames by Joelle Stolz (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Shadows is for a younger audience, but it deals with some of the same themes and cultural ideas as the more adult Persepolis.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Hibou8: Two very good graphic novels that deal with coming of age.
    Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuściński (wookiebender)
    wookiebender: A non-fiction book about the lead-up to the Iranian revolution (plus a bit post-revolution), I found this an interesting companion piece.
    Lena Finkle's Magic Barrel: A Graphic Novel by Anya Ulinich (charl08)
    Boxers & Saints Boxed Set by Gene Luen Yang (CGlanovsky)
    Kabul Disco by Niclolas Wild (zasmine)
    Persia Blues, vol. 1: Leaving Home by Dara Naraghi (CassandraStrand)
    CassandraStrand: Both books deal with girls growing up under the restrictions of post-revolutionary Iran and their "escape" to the West.
    Houri by Mehrdad Balali (alexmuninn)
    Unterzakhn by Leela Corman (greydoll)
    greydoll: Graphic novel about lives of Jewish immigrant women in New York in early 20th century
    Barefoot Gen: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima, Volume 1 by Keiji Nakazawa (LKAYC)
    The Pride of Bagdad (Maiasaura)

English (156)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (167)
So interesting to read a perspective like this. Actually, some of the changes under the new regime in Iran reminded me of parts of Maria Augusta Trapp's story about the Austria she and her family eventually escaped from. Even with its sprinkles of humor, Persepolis is not at all a light memoir of mild themes, but I'll admit that this particular style of delivery helped me to keep turning the pages. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Sep 5, 2016 |
Loved this graphic novel about growing up in Iran around the time of the Islamic Revolution. The pictures are wonderful, and although it's hard hitting and upsetting it's also very funny. I read the first volume previously and only just got round to reading this edition which includes volume 2 as well. I think books like this are so important to help us see how similar people are wherever they live. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Aug 14, 2016 |
The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi was the June book from the feminist book club on Goodreads called Our Shared Shelf started by Emma Watson. This was the first graphic novel we've read in the group so I was understandably quite excited. This is the true story of the author's experience growing up in Tehran (the capital of Iran). The book opens at the beginning of the Islamic revolution in 1979. The first chapter is called The Veil and describes the incredulity of all of the children in her school when they are told that they are now required to wear the veil. Marjane is bounces between unbelievably horrific imagery of torture to the seemingly arbitrary rules and regulations thrust upon Iranians. It's at times quite humorous but mostly it's appalling. The graphic depictions of torture, death, and oppression are raw and I felt gave our main character more depth than did the descriptions of her relationships and drug experimentation. It can be difficult to review a memoir (as I mentioned with Blankets) because it feels somewhat odd to say "I'm not a huge fan of the main character". However, it's the truth. I didn't really care for Marjane and I didn't really connect with her. I did connect with the plights of the people in her country. When she wrote about the unfairness of the law and the subterfuge that everyone committed just to have some semblance of humanity I felt deeply moved. The art style is not my favorite but neither is it terrible. I'd say this would be a good read for someone who wants to learn more about the people of Iran and their struggles but for me it's not one I'd reread and I don't think I'd read any more of her works. 5/10 ( )
  AliceaP | Jul 26, 2016 |
Not only do you learn about Marjane Satrapi and her life experiences through her first-hand accounts, you also get a magnificent history lesson on Iran from 1979 to 1994, seen through the eyes of someone who grew up during that tumultuous time.

This is such an amazing book, and it fit right in with other books I have recently been reading, most that dealt with a much earlier period of the area involved. It was a nice look at a more recent history before jumping back to the long, long ago.

I'm kind of at a loss for things to say about this one, because all that really comes to mind is a series of overly positive adjectives presented with exclamation points.

If you haven't read it, do so as soon as you can. It's worth it. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Apr 25, 2016 |
She is so brave to be writing so openly. And the art in the book is so amazing. Black and white... means alot. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CélineLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Singh, AnjaliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.
This is the Complete Persepolis (books 1-4 or books I+II).
Some editions such as ISBN 009952399X are only called Persepolis, but contain the Complete Persepolis.

A one-volume edition of Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, living as a teenage expatriate in Austria, and returning to live as a young adult in Islamic Iran.

Here, in one volume: Marjane Satrapi's best-selling, internationally acclaimed memoir-in-comic-strips.

Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's unforgettable childhood and coming of age within a large and loving family in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution; of the contradictions between private life and public life in a country plagued by political upheaval; of her high school years in Vienna facing the trials of adolescence far from her family; of her homecoming--both sweet and terrible; and, finally, of her self-imposed exile from her beloved homeland. It is the chronicle of a girlhood and adolescence at once outrageous and familiar, a young life entwined with the history of her country yet filled with the universal trials and joys of growing up.

Edgy, searingly observant, and candid, often heartbreaking but threaded throughout with raw humor and hard-earned wisdom--Persepolis is a stunning work from one of the most highly regarded, singularly talented graphic artists at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Collects a two-part graphic memoir, in which the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor and the daughter of ardent Marxists describes growing up in Tehran, a country plagued by political upheaval and vast contradictions between public and private life.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,832,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible