A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

A Rule Against Murder (2008)

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (4)

1,229736,475 (4)282

English (72)  French (1)  All languages (73)
This is the fourth Louise Penny mystery for me, and I consider it the most enjoyable of the lot. I suspect it is because we learn a lot more about Inspector Gamache's past. He's clearly becoming more likeable to me with each installment. He's fast becoming a favorite, almost on par with Harry Bosch. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 12, 2015 |
This book is 4th in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache mystery series. Inspector Gamache and his wife, Reine-Marie, are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, a lovely B&B not far from Three Pines. An obnoxious dysfunctional family is also at the hotel for a family reunion. One of their number is murdered, and there are suspects aplenty. Louise Penny crafts a good mystery with great characters - some likable, and many not. This was another good entry to the series. ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
A classic locked-door setup: CI Gamache and his wife are on a brief vacation at a lodge they're sharing with a family reunion (that turns out to include Peter and Clara Morrow from Three Pines), when a member of the family is murdered. Everyone at the lodge is a suspect, and the unlikely crime left to Gamache and his second-in-command, Beauvoir, to solve. The usual bucolic setting and deliberate pacing in Penny. ( )
  beaujoe | May 12, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the first three installments in the Gamache/Three Pines series, and since it's been a significant amount of time since I read the series, I decided to see if my opinion has changed. I haven't read anything quite this cozy in awhile, and I was a bit resistant to the book because of that.

A Rule Against Murder takes place in a remote vacation lodge on a lake. It used to a be a hunting and fishing lodge, but when the current owners took over, they established "a rule against murder," to atone for the vast quantity of taxidermied animals in the attic. Inspector Gamache and his wife are visiting the lodge to celebrate their wedding anniversary, and the only other guests are an extended family there for a reunion. One member of the family is murdered by the stone in the alternate title, and Gamache's vacation is cut short to solve the mystery.

My favorite part of the book was learning more about Gamache's backstory (his childhood and his parents), but the actual investigation was not the strongest part of the story for me. There's a lot of psychological conjecturing and summarizing of character's personalities that feels a tad heavy-handed to me, and that comes down to my bias in favor of more twists in a plot. I hope the next installment gets back to the village of Three Pines!

I borrowed this book from the librar
  rkreish | Mar 13, 2015 |
Decided it would be better to read these novels in order, since many of the characters are brought back from earlier novels. Stopped after tape 1. ( )
  Pmaurer | Feb 10, 2015 |
Louise Penny applies her magic touch to A RULE AGAINST MURDER, giving the village mystery an elegance and depth not often seen in this traditional genre.

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, ClaireTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nagano, KiyomiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, in love and memory
At the beginning of summer the guests descended on the isolated lodge by the lake, summoned to the Manoir Bellechasse by identical vellum invitations, addressed in the familiar spider scrawl as though written in cobwebs.
'The Murder Stone' is the title for the Canadian and British publications of the book which is published in the United States as 'A Rule Against Murder'.

From Louise Penny's web site:

THE MURDER STONE is the fourth Chief Inspector Gamache mystery, and the last in the seasonal cycle that began with STILL LIFE.

THE MURDER STONE is set over the course of one summer week at the Manoir Bellechasse, a remote luxury inn on the shores of Lac Massawippi, in Quebec. It's to this inn that Armand Gamache has brought Reine Marie to celebrate a wedding anniversary. But while they're surrounded by nature, it soon becomes clear there's something deeply unnatural there with them. Perhaps it's the Finney family. Cultured, gracious, the more they smile the more vicious they become. Perhaps its one of the young workers at the remote Manoir, suffering cabin fever so far from civilization.

Guests go to the elegant old inn to escape the past. But it comes looking for them. And as the stifling heat closes in, as the humidity rises, as a terrible summer storm approaches and crashes into the old log lodge, it finds them. A body is discovered. It's up to Chief Inspector Gamache and his team to figure out how the victim could have been murdered, and who among them did it.

The chase takes him to the village of Three Pines, into the dark corners of his own past, and finally to a harrowing climax.

'The mind is its own place,' Gamache quotes. 'And in itself Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.'

At the lovely Manoir Bellechasse he finds both.

I did want to mention that this book will be published January in the United States, but under a different title. They were inspired by an exchange between two of the characters, and have chosen the title, A RULE AGAINST MURDER.

It is the height of summer, and Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, an isolated, luxurious inn near the village of Three Pines. The Finney family - rich, cultured and respectable - has arrived for a celebration of their own. The beautiful inn is surrounded by nature, yet there is something unnatural looming. When a terrible summer storm leaves behind a dead body, it is up the Chief Inspector Gamache to unearth secrets long buried and hatreds hidden behind polite smiles.

In this classic drawing room mystery, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is looking forward to celebrating his wedding anniversary at the remote, luxurious Manoir Bellechasse. As Gamache's holiday becomes a busman's anniversary, he learns that the seemingly peaceful lodge is a place where visitors come to escape their past, until that past catches up with them.… (more)

165 wanted7 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,801,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible