Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

A Rule Against Murder (2008)

by Louise Penny

Member:walkerspointlibrary
Title:A Rule Against Murder
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny (2008)

English (101)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (103)
This book was a little long, but it didn't help that all the supporting characters were so odious. I could not stand any of the Morrows so it was hard to lend a sympathetic eye to the death of one other own, The hotel staff were a different story - each with their own reason for agreeing to live and work in such a remote, but beautiful spot. And, of course, Gamache and his wife and staff were stellar. After reading that Ms. Penny bases her Gamache character on her late husband, it gave me new insight into this wonderful, multi-faceted character that she has created. The descriptions of the Manor Bellechase and its grounds were captivating. I'd love to spend some time at this remote Quebec location if it really existed. But oh those Morrows! They were all truly appalling, and I could find no sympathy for any of them- not even for the victim of the homicide that occurs on the grounds of the Manor Bellechase. Ms. Penny's character development is extraordinary, and her plots are intricate and absorbing. No, this wasn't my favourite Inspector Gamache novel, but it's well worth the read for any fans of beautifully written prose with a mystery embedded in the story. ( )
  Romonko | Aug 30, 2019 |
Another enjoyable visit to the Montreal environs...this time an historic Inn with exquisite scenery and an inviting back story. I will definitely keep working my way through the series. The settings and the characters welcome the reader back each time. ( )
  beebeereads | Aug 19, 2019 |
The Murder Stone
While I am still loving this series, I found this one has loose ends which were not tied up neatly at the end. Without giving anything away, I found it strange that the victim just happened to be at the stone at the right moment and putting sugar on the base before lifting the monument on the base to make it move? Really? I tried to find facts on this one but didn't even come close. It might be and I just couldn't find it. It does make for a good story, I will admit that much. Another loose end concerns Bean. Is this child male or female? In this book we get to learn more of Gamache's wive who plays a part in solving the murder mystery.
Summary: Three Pines is not the setting for this book. Gamache and his wife are at their annual vacation place Manoir Bellachasse. They are sharing the manoir with another family, the Finneys. Peter and Clara from Three Pines are part of this dysfunctional family. Penny does a great job in the first 100 pages describing the Finneys and the manoir. Although the Arnot case has finally been put to rest (we hope?), Gamache has yet another demon to fight. ( )
  travelgal | Jul 24, 2019 |
A friend loaned me one of Louise Penny's books and I realized I had two of hers on my TBR shelves, so I decided to read one I had as it was an earlier one in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his wife are staying at Manoir Bellechasse, a luxurious lakeside retreat, to celebrate their anniversary. It has been a tradition for them for a number of years.

This time the Gamaches don't get their usual suite as the Finney family had booked earlier and requested the best rooms. The Finneys, mother, her second husband, and her four grown children are there to have a memorial in tribute to the children's late father....complete with a statue unveiling.

The Finneys consider themselves of the upper level of society, and expect to be treated as such. They tend to look down their noses on the Garmaches, not knowing who he is. They are surprised when they find out who and what he does, but by then Chief Inspector has noticed the cracks in the Finney family façade, and that there are many rivalries and bitterness between the family members.

His exposure becomes necessary when a body turns up on the property and he is called to investigate. He finds that the Finney family aren't the only ones with secrets; the hotel staff have a few of their own.

I enjoyed Penny's style of writing and the way she handled the characters and surroundings. I could really get into the book. I am looking forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jul 18, 2019 |
So far all mysteries by Louise Penny are a great read! ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
Louise Penny applies her magic touch to A RULE AGAINST MURDER, giving the village mystery an elegance and depth not often seen in this traditional genre.

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chabalier, ClaireTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nagano, KiyomiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, in love and memory
At the beginning of summer the guests descended on the isolated lodge by the lake, summoned to the Manoir Bellechasse by identical vellum invitations, addressed in the familiar spider scrawl as though written in cobwebs.
'The Murder Stone' is the title for the Canadian and British publications of the book which is published in the United States as 'A Rule Against Murder'.

From Louise Penny's web site:

THE MURDER STONE is the fourth Chief Inspector Gamache mystery, and the last in the seasonal cycle that began with STILL LIFE.

THE MURDER STONE is set over the course of one summer week at the Manoir Bellechasse, a remote luxury inn on the shores of Lac Massawippi, in Quebec. It's to this inn that Armand Gamache has brought Reine Marie to celebrate a wedding anniversary. But while they're surrounded by nature, it soon becomes clear there's something deeply unnatural there with them. Perhaps it's the Finney family. Cultured, gracious, the more they smile the more vicious they become. Perhaps its one of the young workers at the remote Manoir, suffering cabin fever so far from civilization.

Guests go to the elegant old inn to escape the past. But it comes looking for them. And as the stifling heat closes in, as the humidity rises, as a terrible summer storm approaches and crashes into the old log lodge, it finds them. A body is discovered. It's up to Chief Inspector Gamache and his team to figure out how the victim could have been murdered, and who among them did it.

The chase takes him to the village of Three Pines, into the dark corners of his own past, and finally to a harrowing climax.

'The mind is its own place,' Gamache quotes. 'And in itself Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.'

At the lovely Manoir Bellechasse he finds both.

I did want to mention that this book will be published January in the United States, but under a different title. They were inspired by an exchange between two of the characters, and have chosen the title, A RULE AGAINST MURDER.

LARGE PRINT EDITION:(published as THE MURDER STONE)
It is the height of summer, and Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, an isolated, luxurious inn near the village of Three Pines. The Finney family - rich, cultured and respectable - has arrived for a celebration of their own. The beautiful inn is surrounded by nature, yet there is something unnatural looming. When a terrible summer storm leaves behind a dead body, it is up the Chief Inspector Gamache to unearth secrets long buried and hatreds hidden behind polite smiles.

In this classic drawing room mystery, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is looking forward to celebrating his wedding anniversary at the remote, luxurious Manoir Bellechasse. As Gamache's holiday becomes a busman's anniversary, he learns that the seemingly peaceful lodge is a place where visitors come to escape their past, until that past catches up with them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,096,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible