Hikaru no Go, Volume 2 by Yumi Hotta

Hikaru no Go, Volume 2

by Yumi Hotta

the storyline of Hikaru's exploration and growth with GO continues and it is as fascinating as the first volume. Interesting and entertaining it leaves me wanting more! ( )
  savageknight | Sep 21, 2010 |
Again, the fact that I find this comic amusing makes no sense as I haven't the slightest idea how to play Go, but this is a fun little story. The celebration of a hobby which young people don't seem to appreciate is an universal theme; think chess, stamp collecting, miniatures, etc...many of the hobbies my parents and grandparents had have few supporters in my generation, and there's a real chance that they could die out. Maybe the nostalgia of a game of chess is why 'Hikaru no Go' appeals so.

Of course, the characters are cute, too. Hikaru's slowly being sucked into the world of Go, and he's not resisting half as much as he used to. Akira Toya's obsession with the boy who beat him becomes a major driving force in his life. Another character, Tetsuo, is primarily a Shogi player, introducing us to another traditional Japanese game.

Nice clean drawings, fun kid's manga. ( )
1 vote makaiju | Mar 17, 2009 |
This boy solved an incredibly difficult Go problem with ease.

"With sure and steady moves, Sai and Hikaru are making a name for Hikaru Shindo as the one who might possibly beat the venerable Akira Toya ... Principals, teachers and Go tournament kids alike are all wondering who this unruly bronco of a Go player is."--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible