The Egyptian Cinderella by Shirley Climo

The Egyptian Cinderella (edition 1992)

by Shirley Climo, Ruth Heller (Illustrator)

Title:The Egyptian Cinderella
Authors:Shirley Climo
Other authors:Ruth Heller (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1992), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages

The Egyptian Cinderella by Shirley Climo

Summary: This book is about a young girl being taken from her family to become a slave in Egypt. Her name is Rhodopis, she is always being bossed around by the three servants all because she was a slave. But yet the three servants were very jealous of her. The four girls were giving a chance to perform in front of the Pharaoh who goes by the name Amasis. Rhodopis lost her slipper and when the Pharaoh found it he insisted to have her become his queen.

Personal Reaction: This book really reminds me of the original Cinderella story but the only thing that makes it different is that the special shoe was a sign from a bird, which is a symbol of the god Horus.

Classroom Extinctions: 1.) I would ask the class who all likes Cinderella.
2.) Then I would ask the class how they would make their Cinderella story.
  MarkitaZ | Oct 13, 2015 |
I was disappointed in this book. Compared to the other books in this series, I felt that this book gave the least information on the Egyptian culture. Although the illustrations were wonderful and depicted the Egyptian style and people well, there was not as much culture as I had expected. The book did subtly mention the existence of the Egyptian belief in their mythological gods: “Ra the Sun was climbing into the sky…[and] a great falcon, the symbol of the god Horus.” One thing I found really perplexing was that the author chose someone who was not Egyptian to be the main character. Although she was a slave of Egypt and had known Egypt to be her home for most of her life, Rhodopis was originally from Greece. However, it was an accurate adaption of the original myth that originated in ancient Egypt. I was also disappointed in the lack of interaction between the characters of the story. Rhodopis and the pharaoh did not even meet before he decided that she was to become the queen. Also the story lacked the classic stepmother character. The one element of this book that I really did enjoy was the significance of how Egyptian Rhodopis is. The end of the story is when the pharaoh proclaims that she is the most Egyptian of all “for her eyes are as green as the Nile, her hair as feathery as papyrus, and her skin as pink as a lotus flower.” After flipping through the book, I realized that almost every page of the book contains images of these three things that the pharaoh used to describe Rhodopis and how Egyptian she was. I especially enjoyed how it seemed that Rhodopis was almost one with these objects and blends in with the nature that represent Egypt in these pictures. ( )
  EmilyXia | Sep 2, 2015 |
I do like Ruth Heller's illustrations. But really that's about all I can say about this book. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In this version of the Cinderella story the author has woven this ancient tale with clarity and eloquence. The language of this story is colorful and easy to follow. The prose of the story has a rhythmic structure that hooks the reader from beginning to end. The illustrations create a great connection between the plot, setting and the character. It feels like you are part of the story. It was interesting reading a classic with a different structure but the same message. ( )
  Sluper1 | Mar 20, 2015 |
This story is a retelling of the classic Cinderella fairy tale, taking place in Egypt. Instead of magic fairy godmothers or pumpkins that turn into carriages, this story lacks many of the ‘magical’ elements and instead uses the Egyptian Gods to act as the greater force in the story. It is an interesting take on the classic story, tackling issues of ethnicity and minorities in different countries.

I enjoyed reading this story, because it emphasized the differences in appearance between people of different cultures and countries. It showed that it is good to be unique, especially in a place where everyone essentially looks the same. It celebrated differences and showed that outward appearances weren’t nearly as important as the inside.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I would have the students compare and contrast the classic story of Cinderella and this version of the fairy tale.
2. We could begin learning about ancient Egypt, focusing on the different gods and goddesses.
  GSoto95 | Feb 11, 2015 |

Shirley Climoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heller, RuthIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my grandchildren S.C.
To Cinderella's loving master R.H.
Long ago, in the land of Egypt, where the green Nile River widens to meet the blue sea, there lived a maiden called Rhodopis.

A lowly slave girl named Rhodopis marries the Pharaoh in this ancient tale from the land of the pyramids.

Poor Rhodopis! She has nothing - no mother or father, and no friends. She is a slave, from the far-off country of Greece. Only the beautiful rose-red slippers her master gives her can make Rhodopis smile. So when a falcon swoops down and snatches one of the slippers away, Rhodipis is heartbroken. For how is she to know that the slipper will land in the lap of the great Pharoah himself? And who would ever guess that the Pharoah has promised to find the slipper's owner and make her queen of all Egypt?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:21 -0400)

In this version of Cinderella set in Egypt in the sixth century B.C., Rhodopes, a slave girl, eventually comes to be chosen by the Pharaoh to be his queen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,855,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible