Candide and Other Stories (Oxford World's…

Candide and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics) (1759)

by Voltaire

English (10)  Spanish (2)  English (12)
? I have no idea what to make of this. Maybe I just don't understand philosophy. OK as a read, not as hard as I thought it would be, but I'm not sure I'd have understood that this was about thought processes if the introduction hadn't told me so. I tried, at least. ( )
  Helenliz | Mar 26, 2016 |
""
  rouzejp | Sep 2, 2015 |
I did not find "genius" when I read this book. I was disappointed. Everyone at one time praised Voltaire as being some sort of god that he tried to replace with reasoning. Maybe they favored his philosophy and therefore favored what he wrote. An optimistic hayseed confronts reality and is shown how stupid his attitude is in the real world. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
I confess I didn't read all of the stories here, but the three earlier tales (Candide, Micromegas and Zadig) are all well worth while. Zadig in particular is the kind of thing I dislike- Arabian-Nights inspired strings of deeds aren't really my cup of tea- and yet it went down reasonably well. Micromegas is fine, but there's not much reason to read it instead of Gulliver's Travels. The main attraction, on the other hand, really is a doozy.

'Candide' actually shocked me, which is impressive, because I usually roll my eyes at 'shocking' books (I'm looking at you, Will 'let's have a main character fellate a dead dog' Self), but Voltaire's fairly simple descriptions of war and war-crimes are, for whatever reason, still very moving. You'll get plenty of intellectual stimulation too- a 'perfect' plot that gets shredded by actual events, human folly and evil, and one of the all time great closing lines. I imagine I'll find myself re-reading Candide many times. Not so much Zadig or Micromegas.
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
To finish someday maybe. I read Candide and was underwhelmed, so it might be some time before I care to finish the volume.
  idlerking | Mar 31, 2013 |

Voltaireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aldington, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0192807269, Paperback)

Candide, the wittiest and best-loved book of a genius who is still unequaled in his ability to spin art out of philosophy, became a huge bestseller in Europe after it was published in 1759. Voltaire, skeptical of the systems of philosophy that were floated about to explain the workings of the world, used this satirical story about the optimist Candide and his friend Dr. Pangloss to interrogate and discredit the philosophies and approach more closely the truth about human life, suffering, and happiness in the real world. Now, the short novel Candide is considered one of the most important texts of the enlightenment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

Presents new translations of stories by Voltaire.

Legacy Library: Voltaire

Voltaire has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Voltaire's legacy profile.

See Voltaire's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible