Getting Unstuck by Pema Chödrön

Getting Unstuck

by Pema Chödrön

143None83,492 (4.44)None

Breaking your habitual patterns of encountering naked reality. Buddhist nun resident teacher at Gampo Abbey monastery in Nova Scotia and student of Chogyam Trungpa and Dzigar Kongtrul.
  UUCanton | Feb 23, 2011 |
very good; will read (listen to) again in the future. ( )
  drausche | Feb 24, 2010 |
Pema Chodron talks about the concept of attachment. For me, this audiobook is about getting unstuck/breaking patterns in its broadest sense - people, things, routines, emotions, particular ways of responding or thinking. It's also about not getting quite so caught up in those responses. It's quite short, and like being in a welcoming meditation class or seminar. I've been finding it very helpful, and listen to it, or parts of it, quite frequently. There's no sense of being too late, or there being an issue with taking things at one's own pace. All in all, an encouraging, helpful, friendly, challenging session. ( )
  Flit | Oct 13, 2009 |
very relaxing. I listen while I work out.
  finchfamily4 | Jan 27, 2009 |
Pema Chodron's teachings on Shenpa ("Getting Hooked", attachement), based on instruction she received from Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche.

Excellent. ( )
  bodhisattva | Jul 17, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159179238X, Audio CD)

Have you ever had an itch-and not scratched it? In the Buddhist tradition, this points to a vast paradox: that by refraining from our urge to "scratch," great peace and happiness is available. On Getting Unstuck, Pema Chödrön introduces a valuable teaching on what in Tibetan is called shenpa. "An urge comes up, we succumb to it, and it becomes stronger," she teaches. "We reinforce our habits and addictions by giving in to them." Now, Pema guides us through this "sticky feeling"-exploring the moments when we get hooked-and offers us a look at the freedom available when we uncover shenpa, and work with it intelligently and compassionately. This full-length recording offers tools for learning to stay with our uneasiness, and shows us how to recognize shenpa, catch it as it appears, and activate the wisdom and confidence that lies beneath it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:32 -0400)

The author here gives us tools for learning to stay with our uneasiness, and shows us how to recognize "shenpa." She guides us through the sticky feeling - exploring the moments when we get hooked - and offers us a look at the freedom available when we uncover "shenpa," and work with it intelligently and compassionately.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible