The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by…

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (edition 2009)

by Jennifer Ashley (Author)

Member:bkluvr4evr
Title:The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Authors:Jennifer Ashley (Author)
Info:Leisure Books (2009), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Historical Romance, ebooks
Rating:*****

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

English (59)  Spanish (1)  English (60)
The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie
4 Stars

Synopsis
Lord Ian Mackenzie has spent most of his life in an asylum and has a reputation for being hard, handsome, dangerous and ... eccentric. Ian has never wanted anything in life more than he wants Beth Ackerly and is willing to do anything to win her. Unfortunately, Beth only wants a quiet life without drama, and life with Ian will be anything but because someone in London is killing prostitutes and Ian is the prime suspect.

Review
A sweet and heart-wrenching romance with an original premise.

Ian suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of autism, which was considered madness in Victorian times. Ashley's portrayal of the nuances of the disorder is both accurate and sympathetic with the descriptions of his experiences in the asylum particularly heartbreaking. That said, his immediate attraction to Beth and the ease with which he comes to love her is a little unrealistic. Beth is an intelligent, independent, patient and compassionate heroine. The development of her relationship with Ian is slow and steady, and their scenes together are very sexy, steamy and emotional.

Most of secondary characters are fleshed out nicely, including Ian's brothers, each with their own unique and difficult past, and the overzealous detective who hides an interesting secret (he reminded me of Detective Fix in Around the World in 80 Days). Other characters are more superficial, such as Beth's former fiance, and the person involved in the murders.

There are some minor issues with the writing, such as repetitious phrasing and jarring word choices, as well as the fact that Beth's hair color is not mentioned until well into the book. However, the most significant problem is the murder mystery, which could have been better developed. It is cobbled together haphazardly and seems to be more of an afterthought than a cohesive plot device.

Overall, this is a quick and entertaining read that deals with some taboo issues that are not the usual fare for historical romance - kudos to Ashley for her daring. Ian's brothers are intriguing and I look forward to finding out more about them as individuals in the rest of the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Lord Ian is decidedly eccentric, he tries very hard to pretend normal, he spent too much time in an insane asylum before not to regard passing as normal as being very important. He values his china and his peace and never intended to woo Beth, never mind propose marriage. But he feels that she's valuable, that they would be a good couple, that they both could be good for each other. Beth finds that she can be more herself with Ian, not a helper of another but a person in her own right, with her own feelings and ideas and that he would respect her.

I enjoyed these two and the story and would like more. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 17, 2016 |
I think this is the first time I've read about a hero who is autistic. I don't know enough about it to praise or rage as the case may be. All I can do is write about the characters and the story. I wish I knew more about autism, so I can properly rate every aspect of this story.

There are a number of things that are wonderfully depicted here. The two main characters are great. She is a wonderful, strong and loving person. She isn't a damsel in distress. She is simply one of those good people. Her love is mature. She knows Ian is different, but she never tries to change a single thing about him.
Ian Mackenzie is a genius who has trouble in crowds, he has brilliant and flawless memory and he is determined he can't love. "Is this what love feels like?" he whispered to her. "I don't like it, my Beth. It hurts too much." This is also a murder mystery. Two courtesans are murdered and a very persistent detective is convinced Ian Mackenzie did it. I loved how Beth never though that might be true.

The things that stand out are: Beth and Ian don't get separated by a misunderstanding or something similar, there is another great female character (the second book is hers) and none of the characters are perfect. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Really well done disability story, although Ian doesn't really have a disability so much as he thinks differently than others do. Not sure that I want to read any others in this series 1) due to the whole Scottish thing (which I am really not into, at all) and 2) the other brothers just seemed like complete asshole/psychopaths. I am not interested in people like that finding a HEA. But as for this story, the 'ship was slow and thought out, I didn't care for the "mystery" part but saw the purpose to the plot (it wasn't very side-story), and overall wanted the H/H to get their stuff straight. Satisfying, but like I said... Don't really want to visit the rest of the family. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |

Jennifer Ashleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I find that a Ming bowl is like a woman's breast, Sir Lyndon Mather said to Ian Mackenzie, who held the bowl in question between his fingertips.

In the aristocratic circles of London, 1881, everyone says Lord Ian McKenzie is crazy--and possibly a murderer--but a young widow longing for passion is determined to bare the truth about the dashing and darkly charming Scotsman.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,686,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible