The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by…

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (edition 2009)

by Jennifer Ashley

Member:bkluvr4evr
Title:The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Authors:Jennifer Ashley (Author)
Info:Leisure Books (2009), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Historical Romance, ebooks
Rating:*****

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

English (56)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)
About once a year I read a romance, just for a change of pace, if I can find one that has something in it that's interesting. In the past, that's included Time Travel, 'foreign' culture, atheism... this one includes a hero with autism spectrum disorder and migraines. Turns out, though, that Beth was the character I fell in love with. I'm still not sure exactly how Beth and Ian got from lust to love, but they did, and it was good.

Plenty of sex & castles here for those who like that sort of thing. (I skimmed them, which is how I was able to read this in one night.) Ian's madness didn't quite ring true to me. Nor did his headaches - I suffer migraines, and let me tell you, tobacco smoke and smog are the very worst things. At the very least I'd not smoke myself.

I loved the complex relationship between the brothers. The servants and peripheral characters were interesting. But the bit that really intrigued me was the exploration of Bohemian life, including artists and models, in France. I've heard of some of that, by studying a bit of Van Gogh and Toulouse-Lautrec. Ashley's treatment rang true to me.

Still, I'm just not much of a Romance reader, and am not motivated to pick up more in the series or to read more by Ashley. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie
4 Stars

Synopsis
Lord Ian Mackenzie has spent most of his life in an asylum and has a reputation for being hard, handsome, dangerous and ... eccentric. Ian has never wanted anything in life more than he wants Beth Ackerly and is willing to do anything to win her. Unfortunately, Beth only wants a quiet life without drama, and life with Ian will be anything but because someone in London is killing prostitutes and Ian is the prime suspect.

Review
A sweet and heart-wrenching romance with an original premise.

Ian suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of autism, which was considered madness in Victorian times. Ashley's portrayal of the nuances of the disorder is both accurate and sympathetic with the descriptions of his experiences in the asylum particularly heartbreaking. That said, his immediate attraction to Beth and the ease with which he comes to love her is a little unrealistic. Beth is an intelligent, independent, patient and compassionate heroine. The development of her relationship with Ian is slow and steady, and their scenes together are very sexy, steamy and emotional.

Most of secondary characters are fleshed out nicely, including Ian's brothers, each with their own unique and difficult past, and the overzealous detective who hides an interesting secret (he reminded me of Detective Fix in Around the World in 80 Days). Other characters are more superficial, such as Beth's former fiance, and the person involved in the murders.

There are some minor issues with the writing, such as repetitious phrasing and jarring word choices, as well as the fact that Beth's hair color is not mentioned until well into the book. However, the most significant problem is the murder mystery, which could have been better developed. It is cobbled together haphazardly and seems to be more of an afterthought than a cohesive plot device.

Overall, this is a quick and entertaining read that deals with some taboo issues that are not the usual fare for historical romance - kudos to Ashley for her daring. Ian's brothers are intriguing and I look forward to finding out more about them as individuals in the rest of the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
my first jennifer ashley book and it was really good romance. The issue of Ian's sanity is a little shaky but otherwise good book. ( )
  afarrington | Dec 18, 2015 |
The descriptions of Ian's thoughts were right on. ( )
  Teenycakes | Oct 20, 2015 |
"" ( )
  b00kworm72 | Sep 1, 2015 |

Jennifer Ashleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I find that a Ming bowl is like a woman's breast, Sir Lyndon Mather said to Ian Mackenzie, who held the bowl in question between his fingertips.

In the aristocratic circles of London, 1881, everyone says Lord Ian McKenzie is crazy--and possibly a murderer--but a young widow longing for passion is determined to bare the truth about the dashing and darkly charming Scotsman.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,620,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible