The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by…

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (edition 2009)

by Jennifer Ashley

Member:bkluvr4evr
Title:The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Authors:Jennifer Ashley (Author)
Info:Leisure Books (2009), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Historical Romance, ebooks
Rating:*****

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

English (52)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
What a curious book. One of those where I got to the end and though I was at times uncomfortable with it, I enjoyed it and respected that it was attempting to do something different. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
It's difficult to categorise this beautifully crafted page-turner.

The love affair between Ian and Beth forms the core of the story, but around it is woven an intricate pattern of mystery and suspense. Not only the mystery of two murders in an exclusive bordello, but the psychological mystery of the pathological behaviour of at least three of the protagonists.

It soon becomes clear that one mystery holds the key to the other, and the refreshingly emancipated heroine's valiant attempt to find that key drives the narrative forward. Even the obligatory sex scenes are skilfully woven into the mystery, providing clues to its solution.

I decided to start with the first in the Highland Pleasure series after glittering reviews of the third volume. Not the best of strategies in my case, as I don't like revisiting characters introduced in a previous novel and usually don't follow up.

I'll make an exception in this case and read [b:Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage|9657388|Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage|Jennifer Ashley|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Y6mmEg+iL._SL75_.jpg|7323377] before proceeding to [b:The Many Sins of Lord Cameron|8563824|The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Highland Pleasures, #3)|Jennifer Ashley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1300209650s/8563824.jpg|13432297]. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
I think this is the first time I've read about a hero who is autistic. I don't know enough about it to praise or rage as the case may be. All I can do is write about the characters and the story. I wish I knew more about autism, so I can properly rate every aspect of this story.

There are a number of things that are wonderfully depicted here. The two main characters are great. She is a wonderful, strong and loving person. She isn't a damsel in distress. She is simply one of those good people. Her love is mature. She knows Ian is different, but she never tries to change a single thing about him.
Ian Mackenzie is a genius who has trouble in crowds, he has brilliant and flawless memory and he is determined he can't love. "Is this what love feels like?" he whispered to her. "I don't like it, my Beth. It hurts too much." This is also a murder mystery. Two courtesans are murdered and a very persistent detective is convinced Ian Mackenzie did it. I loved how Beth never though that might be true.

The things that stand out are: Beth and Ian don't get separated by a misunderstanding or something similar, there is another great female character (the second book is hers) and none of the characters are perfect. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. The whole series in fact. Ian is special and I like the fact that he is not your normal male counterpart in a romance novel. The book is definitely sexy, it's interesting and an enjoyable read. I like that the series surrounds a family because it makes each book that comes out just as interesting to read. I also enjoy the female characters as they are not totally dependent on the men (like half brain twits). ( )
  emaleszewski | Mar 2, 2014 |
Uggh. I've been reading some trash lately because I've having a hard time getting through Proust, but this took it too far. The characters and situations were too implausible for me to handle. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |

Jennifer Ashleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I find that a Ming bowl is like a woman's breast, Sir Lyndon Mather said to Ian Mackenzie, who held the bowl in question between his fingertips.

In the aristocratic circles of London, 1881, everyone says Lord Ian McKenzie is crazy--and possibly a murderer--but a young widow longing for passion is determined to bare the truth about the dashing and darkly charming Scotsman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,217,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible