Little Bit Scary People, The by Emily…

Little Bit Scary People, The (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Emily Jenkins, Alexandra Boiger (Illustrator)

Member:KatP828
Title:Little Bit Scary People, The
Authors:Emily Jenkins
Other authors:Alexandra Boiger (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:differences, scary, family

The Little Bit Scary People by Emily Jenkins (2008)

This book is awesome. I love that it sensitively and with humor shows children that while some people can be intimidating, they are really just people. ( )
  kradish | Jul 30, 2014 |
I liked the pattern that this story followed with someone doing something strange or aggressive and then showing the softer side that they kept hidden away originally. It was nicely presented. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Nominated 2009-2010 for the Chickadee Award. Pretty good. I'm not convinced all the people aren't scary though. :) ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Back in the late 80's and early 90's, Michael Thaler hinted at the fact that you can't judge a person by their appearance in books like [b:The Librarian from the Black Lagoon|111002|The Librarian from the Black Lagoon|Mike Thaler|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1223645477s/111002.jpg|106925] and [b:The Teacher from the Black Lagoon|948638|The Teacher from the Black Lagoon|Mike Thaler|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1179717057s/948638.jpg|933563]. Carmen Deedy tried as well with her book [b:the library dragon|77563|Legends II|Robert Silverberg|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170900273s/77563.jpg|5215160] which showed that all librarians are as mean and rigid as some are made out to believe.

BUT to my knowledge, no one has yet captured a child's true thoughts about people who are "a little bit scary" until Emily Jenkins. Children have lots of fears, but a big one, right up there with "the dark", is strangers or people who are different than themselves. The Little Bit Scary People tackles that topic head one with sometimes rather humorous results. ( )
  DiamondDog | Mar 29, 2013 |
I really liked this one -- great book to show that people you don't know, or aren't like you, still do normal and delightful things. Non-gender stereotyped and ethnically diverse characters -- yaay. ( )
  lquilter | Feb 28, 2011 |
To my students in the New York University Gallatin School "Writing for Children" course, without whom this book would never have been good enough -- E.J.
To Tatiana and Luis, my not so scary friends -- A.B.
The big boy with thick eyebrows rides his skateboard on the sidewalk and cranks the radio so loud, my dad yells out the window for him to turn it down.

He's a little bit SCARY.

Some people are a little bit strange or a little too loud, and just a little bit scary. But I bet, if you knew them, and knew their favorite things, you'd think that maybe, (probably) most people aren't so scary after all.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible