Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Title:Wintergirls
Authors:Laurie Halse Anderson
Info:Viking Juvenile (2009), Hardcover, 288 pages

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

English (273)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (276)
The story of a teenage girl's descent into anorexia after her friend dies. ( )
  GuidanceCounsellor | Sep 13, 2018 |
Incredibly depressing, but in a good way. Lyrically written prose.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Man, this book was so focused on just the internal struggle of Lia as she battles her anorexia and overcoming the death of her best friend Cassie who also had an eating disorder, that there isn’t even that much I can comment on.

This book was good. There wasn’t anything that special about it except that it took the topic of anorexia head-on which not that many books do. I thought that the representation and portrayal of the disorder was very good, showing the constant repetitive body image obsessed thoughts going through Lia's head. Her thoughts were spot-on, down to how she thought her mother was being absolutely ridiculous when she talks about how Lia could've died from how much she was starving herself (and she did almost die). However, I spent the whole entire first half absolutely exhausted of the never-ending metaphors for her body and what she feels. And I understand their purpose, it did shine a light on how painful and horrible of an experience it is but it was just so so overdone. Also Lia was a little too dramatic for my liking.

The one aspect that I actually fully enjoyed which brought my rating of this book up was how the reason Lia wasn’t getting better was because she honestly didn’t want to get better. You see the story from her eyes and even through her disordered eating you get the impression that she is somewhat trying to improve but she just can't . It's hard to judge whether a person or character is trying to get better, and get over whatever their situation is because a lot of the time it seems like a futile war and this translates onto the reader's understanding of Lia. Personally, just like Lia herself, I only really understood that she didn't want to get better when her parents constantly kept pointing it out to her.

Considering how few books there are out there that deal with anorexia I would still recommend this book, especially if you are interested in reading about this topic. However don’t take the trigger warning lightly. If you have suffered from any sort of disordered eating or self harm in the recent past, or even to some extent just mental illness, honestly, be cautious when reading this. I’m usually very unaffected by most books with warnings but parts of this book were... very not fun. Even though it does end on a good note, for Lia to get to that place of accepting that she needs to get better she goes through A LOT and does a lot. ( )
  caffeinatedreads | Jun 18, 2018 |
RGG: Intense, disturbing, and likely very realistic without glorifying the ugliness and the tragedy. Ends hopefully. Reading Interest: YA
  rgruberhighschool | Mar 29, 2018 |
This is going to be a very short and horrible review. This book hit a little too close to home for me, so writing this review has been difficult.

Wintergirls is an amazing book and was my first five star read of the year. Even though it was a very hard read for me, I just couldn’t put it down. I have been wanting to read it for so long but I kept putting it off because of what it’s about. When I finally picked it up I thought it would be fine. I have been okay for years, all of that stuff is in the past. Unfortunately, this book brought a lot of thoughts back that I didn’t really want to be thinking and I did struggle a bit after reading it. If I’m being honest, I am still struggling a little bit now. However, I don’t regret reading Wintergirls. It is such an amazing and powerful book that I think a lot of people would love. Obviously I wouldn’t recommend this book to everyone. If you know what this book is about and you think it might trigger something, than don’t read it. Everyone else should read it. I want to read it again. Not sure if I should, but I might someday.

I’m sorry this review wasn’t very good. I’m not even sure if you can call this a review. All you need to know is that it is an incredible book, the writing is beautiful and I loved it. If you think you will be okay reading it, than please read it. If you’ve already read, re-read it. It is so good. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Jan 7, 2018 |

Anderson, Laurie Halseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stith, JeannieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[Persephone] was filled with a sense of wonder, and she reached out with both hands to take hold of the pretty plaything. And the earth, full of roads leading every which way, opened up under her....She cried with a piercing voice....But not one of the immortal ones, or of human mortals, heard her.

Homeric Hymn to Demeter, translated by Gregory Nagy

The King gave orders that they should let her sleep quietly till the time came for her to awake.

The Sleeping Beauty in the Woods, by Charles Perrault, 1696, translated by Charles Welsh
To Scot - for building the fire that keeps me warm when the blizzard rages outside.
So she tells me, the words dribbling out with the cranberry muffin crumbs, commas dunked in her coffee.
We turned us into wintergirls, and when she tried to leave, I pulled her back into the snow because I was afraid to be alone.

"Dead girl walking," the boys say in the halls.

"Tell us your secret," the girls whisper, on toilet to another.

I am that girl.

I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.

I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.

***

LIA AND CASSIE were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other peoples lives. Her father is away on business. Her stepmother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way -- thin, thinner, thinnest -- maybe she'll disappear altogether.

In her most emotional wrenching, lyrically written book since National Book Award finalist Speak, bestselling author Laurie Halse Anderson explores one girl's chilling descent into the all-consuming vortex of anorexia.

Eighteen-year-old Lia comes to terms with her best friend's death from anorexia as she struggles with the same disorder.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,549,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible