The Annotated Wizard of Oz (1900)

by L. Frank Baum, Michael Patrick Hearn (Editor, Introduction and Notes)

Other authors: W. W. Denslow (Illustrator)

A special edition of Dorothy's journey down the yellow brick road to the Emerald City of Oz containing detailed textual notes and eighty-two pages of introductory historical material.

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Because it's the Wizard of Oz. And I don't care how many history/political science/economics classes try to ruin it. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
A wonderful 10th birthday present from my parents. ( )
  yudel | Mar 14, 2014 |
Though it's not my favorite Oz book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a brilliant start to a brilliant series. Hearn's annotated edition is a thing of beauty, not to mention highly informative.
  Stevil2001 | Oct 16, 2013 |
I found this book on the library shelves when I was in El Paso this summer. I was really enjoying it, but my schedule while there made my progress slow and I haven't yet had the time (work) and energy (illness) to see if it's available in the Tucson library. I definitely hope to finish this book, as I found it to be a fascinating glimpse into Baum's life and writings that went far beyond other biographical essays I've read about him. I also appreciated the insight into the different artists and into publishing during that era.
  PamelaDLloyd | Dec 2, 2010 |
After reading the L. Frank Baum biography I decided to read his most famous book, since I had never read it. I admit, I wanted to see how the original novel is different from the movie. And it IS in many major ways, for example the Oz principles are not counterparts to the Kansas people. That was a clever addition by the screenwriters. I found the annotations far-fetched, far too voluminous and eventually, tiresome. After a while, I skipped them and read only the novel's original text. It seemed quite long for a child to read.
  BrokenSpines | Nov 4, 2009 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hearn, Michael PatrickEditor, Introduction and Notesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Denslow, W. W.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, MartinForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, Thomas H.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cynthia, Coleen, and Christopher
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
Preface:  Almost every great nation has its immortal work of juvenile fantasy.
When Dorothy stood in the doorway and looked around all she saw was the the great gray Prairie on every side.
This is the annotated version of The Wizard of Oz (annotations by Michael Patrick Hearn), not the original work.

AR 7.0, Pts 7.0

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,648,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible