The Annotated Wizard of Oz (Centennial…

The Annotated Wizard of Oz (Centennial Edition) (original 1900; edition 2000)

by L. Frank Baum

Member:jgbell
Title:The Annotated Wizard of Oz (Centennial Edition)
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:W. W. Norton (2000), Edition: Centennial, Hardcover
Tags:Oz

The Annotated Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (1900)

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Because it's the Wizard of Oz. And I don't care how many history/political science/economics classes try to ruin it. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
A wonderful 10th birthday present from my parents. ( )
  yudel | Mar 14, 2014 |
Though it's not my favorite Oz book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a brilliant start to a brilliant series. Hearn's annotated edition is a thing of beauty, not to mention highly informative.
  Stevil2001 | Oct 16, 2013 |
I found this book on the library shelves when I was in El Paso this summer. I was really enjoying it, but my schedule while there made my progress slow and I haven't yet had the time (work) and energy (illness) to see if it's available in the Tucson library. I definitely hope to finish this book, as I found it to be a fascinating glimpse into Baum's life and writings that went far beyond other biographical essays I've read about him. I also appreciated the insight into the different artists and into publishing during that era.
  PamelaDLloyd | Dec 2, 2010 |
After reading the L. Frank Baum biography I decided to read his most famous book, since I had never read it. I admit, I wanted to see how the original novel is different from the movie. And it IS in many major ways, for example the Oz principles are not counterparts to the Kansas people. That was a clever addition by the screenwriters. I found the annotations far-fetched, far too voluminous and eventually, tiresome. After a while, I skipped them and read only the novel's original text. It seemed quite long for a child to read.
  BrokenSpines | Nov 4, 2009 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hearn, Michael PatrickEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Denslow, W. W.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hearn, Michael PatrickIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, MartinForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, Thomas H.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cynthia, Coleen, and Christopher
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
Preface:  Almost every great nation has its immortal work of juvenile fantasy.
When Dorothy stood in the doorway and looked around all she saw was the the great gray Prairie on every side.
This is the annotated version of The Wizard of Oz (annotations by Michael Patrick Hearn), not the original work.
AR 7.0, Pts 7.0

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393049922, Hardcover)

An updated version of the definitive guide, The Annotated Wizard of Oz provides a facsimile color version of the first edition of L. Frank Baum's children's classic along with extensive notes and a thorough history of the immense Oz project. In his excellent introduction, Michael Patrick Hearn describes the author's early life and interests and the development of his collaboration with W.W. Denslow, the original illustrator for his books.

An energetic and excitable fellow, Baum's devotion to make-believe began in his early 20s, when he joined a small touring theatrical troupe on the East Coast. Later attempts to run a general store and a newspaper in South Dakota (then the Wild West) failed miserably. Although few of his business ventures or artistic efforts had met with success, in 1897 Baum's "Father Goose" rhymes (designed and illustrated by Denslow) became a surprise bestseller, and Baum was able to buy his family a summer cottage on Lake Michigan, christened "The Sign of the Goose," for which he made most of the furniture (goose-themed, of course) and stenciled the walls with a frieze of green geese.

The idea for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, "a modern fairy tale," as he considered it, soon followed, and the book appeared in May 1900. The 10,000-copy first printing sold out in two weeks, and about 90,000 sold within the first year. Hearn goes on to describe the many books that followed, as well as the 1902 musical extravaganza The Wizard of Oz and Baum's subsequent, ill-starred attempts to depict the world of Oz on film. (He died long before the 1939 MGM musical made his fairy tale known around the globe.) In 1907, he told a reporter for the Grand Rapids Herald why he preferred young readers:

To write fairy stories for children, to amuse them, to divert restless children, sick children, to keep them out of mischief on rainy days, seems of greater importance than to write grown-up novels. Few of the popular novels last the year out, responding as they do to a certain psychological demand, characteristic of the time; whereas, a child's book is, comparatively speaking, the same always, since children are always the same kind of folks with the same needs to be satisfied.
Hearn has gone to great lengths in his notes to this facsimile of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, often referring to subsequent volumes in the series, slowly building a key to the rules and history of Oz, pointing out inconsistencies as well as hints to Baum's literary sources (such as Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress), and providing, among other delights, a mini-treatise on malevolent vegetation in Oz. This is an essential volume for the Oz aficionado or the student of children's literature, and a wonderful resource for parents of young readers. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:35 -0400)

An illustrated, annotated reproduction of the 1900 edition of the story of Dorothy's journey over the rainbow to the wonderful world of Oz; with discussion of character sources, critical interpretations, and information on the life of author L. Frank Baum.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,802,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible