Glory: A Novel by Vladimir Nabokov

Glory: A Novel (edition 1971)

by Vladimir Nabokov, Dimitri Nabokov (Translator)

Member:Shineqi
Title:Glory: A Novel
Authors:Vladimir Nabokov
Other authors:Dimitri Nabokov (Translator)
Info:McGraw-Hill (1971), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 205 pages
Collections:Your library, Milo shelf

Glory by Vladimir Nabokov

Recently added bymaryniv, Noumena_Press, private library, jearnold, nosajeel, William345, pseudoeden
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders

My experience of Nabokov is merely nascent, but I absolutely loved "Invitation to a Beheading" and "Bend Sinister". Innovative, rich, gripping, beautifully written. I can only say that I'm thrilled to have read those two books despite having read "Glory" first. There is a massive divide in how I think of this work compared to the others. To my mind, there was very little to recommend it. The characters were pale and largely static. The events were practically non-existent. I kept waiting for the story to really begin and, to my taste, it never really did. I'm surprised such remarkably different books could have emerged from the same pen. It lacks the literary acrobatics in either language or content that I would, now, expect from this author. It is straightforward storytelling, but I just never felt the story merited telling in the first place. ( )
  CGlanovsky | Nov 10, 2012 |
From a very early age Martin Edelweiss was bitten by wanderlust. He often gazed upon a painting in his bedroom of a path which led into the woods. He would visualize following that path and by using his very vivid imagination conjured adventures for himself at every bend in the road.
As a teenager, Martin has opportunities to travel and experience many different paths but it always seems things are not as Martin imagined them to be, memories are not as good as the actual event and people don’t always respond as he had hoped. To say he is delusional may be a bit harsh, perhaps naïve is a better term. Martin seems to make decisions based on idealistic dreams and as in many a coming of age story Martin is trying to find his way regardless of how impractical his ideas.
Glory was my introduction to Nabokov and I found that I enjoyed his prose. He turns a good phrase and writes with picturesque clarity. ( )
2 vote Carmenere | Nov 27, 2010 |
youthful illusion: This is a very good novel about the fantasies of youth, i.e. misplaced idealism, mixed with the dangers inherent in the revolutionary upheavals of the early 20C. It is a slice of history, which may interest or may not. As the novel is translated from the original Russian, it lacks the extraordinary narrative texture that the Nab's original English novels exhibit. Recommended.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |

Vladimir Nabokovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blaauw, Gerrit desecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kliphuis, R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nabokov, DmitriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Véra

Glory is the wryly ironic story of Martin Edelweiss, a twenty-two-year-old Russian émigré of no account, who is in love with a girl who refuses to marry him.  Convinced that his life is about to be wasted and hoping to impress his love, he embarks on a "perilous, daredevil project"--an illegal attempt to re-enter the Soviet Union, from which he and his mother had fled in 1919.  He succeeds--but at a terrible cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:17 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible