Harpo Speaks! by Harpo Marx

Harpo Speaks!

by Harpo Marx

English (8)  French (1)  All languages (9)
an excellent read. Interesting man, interesting times, and very well told. His co-author nailed Harpo's "voice". ( )
  jannid | Jul 15, 2018 |
Of the 100's of Bio/Autos of golden era Hollywood film legends i have read, including several Marx brothers ones, this is my favorite. Interesting, funny, strange, wacky, but very moving. The last couple hundred pages, after he meets Susan and marries, and the hilarious night time stories to the kids about the search for the children! The way they ran their family home and the closeness, and love they shared was a beautiful story. Not what i was expecting after reading the first couple hundred pages, expecting more shennanigans, but then wham, tricked into a wonderful story of their family life. Great Stuff. ( )
  Drew120 | Nov 14, 2016 |
Read it! The book is very funny and the man was very interesting. He is my favorite comedian. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 20, 2015 |
I really loved this book. As a long time fan, this book offered a fascinating glimpse into the life of the silent Marx brother. From being literally thrown out of school in the second grade to being a part of the Algonquin Roundtable, Harpo experienced many interesting things and met many interesting people. This biography is a touching look at Harpo's life. I recommend it for fans and those who are new to the Marx brothers. ( )
1 vote ChelseaRebman | Oct 12, 2012 |
This book follows the life of Harpo Marx. He has a way of seeing the good, overlooking the bad and riding the waves of his life. I was moved by the man and couldn't help comparing living today with his life. The exploits of the characters in his life were amazing and at times criminal. It was a very good read, with insights into the men who were the Marx Brothers. ( )
  brnoze | Apr 29, 2011 |

Harpo Marxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salojärvi, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bill, Alex, Jimmy, Minnie, and Susan from me with love.
I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0879100362, Paperback)

To Marx Brothers fans who have yet to read this book: Put it off as long as you can, because once you are finished, you will wish you could read it again for the first time. Harpo's life was interesting in itself, but it also frequently intersected with the lives of other fascinating people, most notably his own brothers and drama critic Alexander Woolcott. Marx also was part of the legendary Algonquin Round Table; he's got plenty to say about that. Wait'll you hear about what it means to "throw a Gookie." You'll never be able to watch a Marx Brothers movie again without looking for the Gookie!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:03 -0400)

Arthur--Harpo--Marx, the silent harpist of the Marx Brothers, describes his life, and includes his childhood, education, professional accomplishments, and personal relationships while also discussing his thoughts on fame, success, and lifestyle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,605,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible