WWW: Wake by Robert J. Sawyer

Series: WWW (1)

Member:hnau
Title:WWW: Wake
Authors:Robert J. Sawyer
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Paper, 2012 (inactive)
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Science Fiction, Zaunpfahl, @WR11, * Julian Jaynes, / WWW, #1

WWW: Wake by Robert J. Sawyer

Recently added byOwen.Tyler, Echinopsis, CBreher, SA_Jane, acousticmoose, saulegriza, novunus, EvaW, private library
    Investment Counselor by Orson Scott Card (cattwing)
    cattwing: Wake, with its exploration of internet consciousness, reminded me very much of Orson Card's Ender's game series, in which he deals with the same subject and creates a similar character who I really enjoyed. This short story, "investment counselor" is where we first meet "jane," the internet being, but I would recommend reading his entire series - it was quite enjoyable.… (more)

English (62)  Dutch (1)  All (63)
"I saw you using the Web when you were here in Japan,” said Kuroda. “You zip around it faster than I do—and I can see. You go from page to page, follow complex chains of links, and backtrack many steps without ever overshooting, even though you don't pause to see what page has loaded."

I acquired Wake at a BookCrossing meeting without realising that it was YA. I found the primate research plot strand more interesting than the blind teenager's interactions, either in her everyday life or on the Internet.

My local library has this series so I may continue with it, if only to find outs whether the chimpanzee gets recognised as a legal person. ( )
  isabelx | Dec 27, 2016 |
It was interesting, well written and the characterization was very well done. But it wasn't captivating. The birth of the AI isn't explained, it just kind of spontaneously happens. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
It's a really good book. The series is on par with Daniel Juarez's novel "Daemon". ( )
  scorpio470952 | Sep 10, 2016 |
First book of a trilogy. Surprisingly good read. Written for older teens, but also good read for adults. Haven't read Sawyer before. Now I'll try some of his other books. ( )
  rondoctor | Sep 2, 2016 |
I liked the references to things I am interested in (microtubules, the bicameral mind, and others). I definitely read the sequel which I just heard about today. Good combination of plot and characters. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |

Robert J. Sawyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What a blind person needs
is not a teacher
but another self.

—Helen Keller
For

Pat Forde

Great Writer
Great Friend
Not Darkness, for that implies an understanding of light.
"Please", she thought. "Let there be light."

She pressed the key.

And there was light.
Before had been better.
And then, and then, and then —

It was —

The gold mine.

The mother lode.
—and he firmly shook Kuroda's hand.
Hey, how do you find Canadian in a crowded room? Start stepping on people's feet and wait for someone to apologize to you.

Caitlin Decter is young, pretty, feisty, a genius at math - and blind. Still, she can surf the net with the best of them, following its complex paths clearly in her mind. When a Japanese researcher develops a new signal-processing implant that might give her sight, she jumps at the chance, flying to Tokyo for the operation. But Caitlin's brain long ago co-opted her primary visual cortex to help her navigate online. Once the implant is activated, instead of seeing reality, the landscape of the World Wide Web explodes into her consciousness, spreading out all around her in a riot of colors and shapes. While exploring this amazing realm, she discovers something - some other - lurking in the background. And it's getting more and more intelligent with each passing day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

Although Caitlin Decter is blind, she can effortlessly surf the Internet by following its complex paths clearly in her mind. When she receives an implant to restore her sight, instead of seeing reality, the landscape of the World Wide Web explodes into her consciousness.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,228,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible