WWW: Wake by Robert J. Sawyer

Series: WWW (1)

Member:hnau
Title:WWW: Wake
Authors:Robert J. Sawyer
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Paper, 2012 (inactive)
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Science Fiction, Zaunpfahl, @WR11, * Julian Jaynes, / WWW, #1

WWW: Wake by Robert J. Sawyer

Recently added bywm3395, scorpio470952, tamarah71, rondoctor, 24602, augustgarage, rencheple, mgiuntoni, private library
    Investment Counselor by Orson Scott Card (cattwing)
    cattwing: Wake, with its exploration of internet consciousness, reminded me very much of Orson Card's Ender's game series, in which he deals with the same subject and creates a similar character who I really enjoyed. This short story, "investment counselor" is where we first meet "jane," the internet being, but I would recommend reading his entire series - it was quite enjoyable.… (more)

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
It's a really good book. The series is on par with Daniel Juarez's novel "Daemon". ( )
  scorpio470952 | Sep 10, 2016 |
First book of a trilogy. Surprisingly good read. Written for older teens, but also good read for adults. Haven't read Sawyer before. Now I'll try some of his other books. ( )
  rondoctor | Sep 2, 2016 |
I liked the references to things I am interested in (microtubules, the bicameral mind, and others). I definitely read the sequel which I just heard about today. Good combination of plot and characters. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I wavered on what I'd give Wake, alternating between 3 and 4 stars. Ultimately, the story is unique, the characters very well done and the writing, I couldn't find any fault with so it gets four stars.

My mistake was trying to read this book at the same time I was reading another so it was hard to really get into it and this book you really have to focus on because you'll find yourself flipping back if you don't. I missed a couple of very key scenes, which I realized about half way through, and went back, then I couldn't wait to finish it.

I loved the protagonist and the way that Sawyer portrayed her is very realistic yet unique. And it would have been easy for him to go into the typical blind spiel; she can't do this, she can't do that and poor her, but he didn't do that. His creativity in creating a dynamic character with a disability that really doesn't hinder her at all, and in his depiction of her thoughts and feelings is what stuck with me. Such a memorable character is tough with 'regular' characters.

Anyway, check it out. I'm picking up the second in this series as soon as I can. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
The story is great! I love the details he includes on how it is to be blind and the workings of the Web. This is my second Sawyer book and I'm so glad I found him. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |

Robert J. Sawyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What a blind person needs
is not a teacher
but another self.

—Helen Keller
For

Pat Forde

Great Writer
Great Friend
Not Darkness, for that implies an understanding of light.
"Please", she thought. "Let there be light."

She pressed the key.

And there was light.
Before had been better.
And then, and then, and then —

It was —

The gold mine.

The mother lode.
—and he firmly shook Kuroda's hand.
Hey, how do you find Canadian in a crowded room? Start stepping on people's feet and wait for someone to apologize to you.

Caitlin Decter is young, pretty, feisty, a genius at math - and blind. Still, she can surf the net with the best of them, following its complex paths clearly in her mind. When a Japanese researcher develops a new signal-processing implant that might give her sight, she jumps at the chance, flying to Tokyo for the operation. But Caitlin's brain long ago co-opted her primary visual cortex to help her navigate online. Once the implant is activated, instead of seeing reality, the landscape of the World Wide Web explodes into her consciousness, spreading out all around her in a riot of colors and shapes. While exploring this amazing realm, she discovers something - some other - lurking in the background. And it's getting more and more intelligent with each passing day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

Although Caitlin Decter is blind, she can effortlessly surf the Internet by following its complex paths clearly in her mind. When she receives an implant to restore her sight, instead of seeing reality, the landscape of the World Wide Web explodes into her consciousness.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,183,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible