Promethea - Book 5 (Promethea) by Alan Moore

Promethea - Book 5 (Promethea) (edition 2006)

by Alan Moore

Member:selfnoise
Title:Promethea - Book 5 (Promethea)
Authors:Alan Moore
Info:Wildstorm (2006), Paperback, 200 pages
Tags:graphic novel, weirdfiction, alchemy, superhero

Promethea, Volume 5 by Alan Moore

A bit underwhelmed by these. If you want a beautifully illustrated example of the Hermetic Qabalah interpretation of the Tree of Life and the Tarot Deck, with lots of respect for John Dee and Aleister Crowley, then this may be the reference book for you. If you want a gripping graphic novel about the adventures of a woman with the powers of a goddess, you may find all the explanations of the significance and imagery a bit hard work to wade through. Definitely reads as if written when stoned - wow man, we are all one in the mind of god, and we should all love one another, and we are all made of love, and the imagination is Powerful, man, and sex is powerful, man, let's put the Wand in the Cup - although that doesn't mean it's not beautiful and contains a lot of truth. The sort of book fundamentalist christians probably have in mind when they say 'reading graphic novels teaches children about False Magick and is Dangerous' although to be fair, very heavy in christian imagery and accepting of the divinity of Christ (just also the divinity of everything else). ( )
  atreic | Aug 5, 2016 |
Promethea is a great idea set in a fantastic world (I love the details!) with fabulous characters. Sophie's loooong voyage into the Immateria (...she meets God! She IS God! We are ALL God! Wow!) was boring, but no where near as frustrating as the end of the series. Promethea-as-Ender-of-Worlds I like, but then it all got very psycadelic and I'm pretty sure Moore just finished writing while on acid. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Sophie Bangs is a college student researching a character that has appeared independently in a variety of forms throughout arts and literature since the eighteen hundreds. However, Promethea is no mere story character – she is actually a mythological being that becomes manifest when an author depicts Promethea in a variety of literature – poetry, comic strips, pictures, and so forth.

In the fifth volume of Promethea, Sophie is currently in hiding, the FBI are chasing after her, believing that she seeks to start a world-wide apocalypse. However, Sophie is in conflict with her role as Promethea, not wanting to start the apocalypse. When Sophie is forced to become Promethea, this change begins to trigger the start of the apocalypse, a variety of forces set out to stop her. However, the apocalypse that Promethea triggers is not the traditional idea of the apocalypse one might be accustomed to.

The Promethea series is quite an interesting graphic novel series. Alan Moore is doing quite a few experimental things in the graphic novel medium in this series of books, and whether you like what Moore is attempting or not, it does maintain interest. Some of the experimentation works, and works quite well. Some of it does not work so well, or, what I suspect is more likely, I am not able to appreciate what Moore is trying to achieve. But, in both cases, does make for interesting reading. Although that sounds somewhat confusing, I’ll elaborate on this in a moment.

The plot of Promethea itself, is of a fictional character (Promethea, titular character) that becomes manifest in the real world, is interesting and engaging, and done well, but with that said, it is sometimes (well, more than sometimes) difficult to follow. Moore depicts quite a complex theology, and the resulting ideas that are associated with it, and while his main points are put across quite clearly, such as the basics of the theology, and how fiction can be real in a particular sense, the more complex aspects of the theology are quite hard to grasp. It’s not that Moore does a bad job of it, quite the opposite, but it’s quite a complex subject and the somewhat experimental style of story-telling here.

Moore also employs multiple styles of writing and story-telling methods, too. He uses multiple types of literature forms to tell the story of Promethea. There is the graphic novel form (obviously), poetry, and fictional narratives, for example. Moore also employs other literary devices, such as showing multiple story threads as text at once, and knocking against the fourth wall in several places in the comics grabs attention, too. It’s interesting, it’s unique, but it can be quite hard to follow at times.

The art work and colouring deserve discussion, too. The experimentation is not merely limited to the method Moore employs to tell his story, but also in the artwork and presentation. The panel layout, for example, rarely sticks to the traditional rectangular movement, the layout and the flow of panels often changing. However, this inventiveness is both its strongest point and its largest weakness. Occasionally, the colour schemes make the story somewhat difficult to follow. The variety in panel layouts can be confusing, because the flow of the panels is not always clear, and this has a tendancy to disrupt the flow of the story.

The artwork and colouring shown in these graphic novels is excellent, particularly in the later volumes. The colour schemes and art styles change quite often too, sometimes multiple times in a single comic strip. These changes signify different time periods, different areas of the non-physical worlds which Promethea visits in her travels, and so forth. A lot of effort has been put in here, but some of the colour schemes and art styles work better than others.

Book five is quite an interesting book, concluding the saga of Promethea. Moore largely manages to tie together the plot points of the first four books that seemingly did not have any connections, but, introduces several characters that were not introduced previously in this work (particularly Tom Strong and the science super heroes). I’m sure fans of those characters will appreciate these appearances, but they might have been introduced beforehand. There's also quite an interesting conclusion to the series, even if it is hard to grasp some of the time.

Overall, the Promethea graphic novel series is quite an interesting one, not only in regards to how it succeeds both as a story and graphic novel, but also in regards to how it does not. The rankings I give to the various volumes within the Promethea series are not a reflection of the quality of the books, rather, how well I am able to appreciate them, because I can admit that much of the theology Moore outlines is beyond me. ( )
1 vote rojse | Oct 20, 2009 |
I read this ages ago, except for the long, long chapter at the end. I tried to read it, but it made my eyes tired. That probably means that Alan Moore is somewhere in his English cave, twisting his rings and scowling at his voodoo doll of me, but large amounts of tiny font in front of tie-dye-ish backgrounds just doesn't work for me. And thus, I ignored writing a review or even saying I truly finished reading this series.

Okay, so what do I remember? This was a pretty good ending. It was a coming together of Promethea's "real world" aspect and her spiritual/mental/dream(?) journey. It's the end of the world, and it's Promethea's doing. It's also one of those "is she gonna destroy the world because she was told she'd be the one to destroy the world, or was she always going to destroy it no matter what" sort of deals. I felt like, with the build up of the past four books, this finished rather quickly and then moved on to Alan Moore's history of the world/magic chapter. Overall, I liked the series, but I could've gone without. The artwork was one of the strongest points of the series. ( )
  tiamatq | Dec 9, 2008 |
Hmm. The final Promethea turned, somewhat unexpectedly apocalyptic. (I mean, it was mentioned in the fourth book but I didn't take it all that seriously.) In some ways I didn't like this one as well as the others, since I primarily enjoyed the shenanigans of Promethea while on Earth and in the kabbalistic system; in other ways, though, I did really enjoy this story. It's an unusual take on the standard apocalypse story, which was nice. The same caveats from my review of the fourth book still apply, though this was a lot less dependent on esoteric knowledge than the previous books. ( )
  Kplatypus | Jan 20, 2008 |
Although superficially resembling Alan Moore’s take on Wonder Woman, by its end, Promethea symbolizes unlimited potential in an eye-opening series celebrating imagination and magic.

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williams, J. H., IIIIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
A hero on the hunt, a heroine in hiding, Without hope, helpless.
...missile attacks against Israel during the Gulf War.

After years of hiding the goddess within her, the government is closing in on Sophie Bangs once more, leaving her no choice but to release Promethea and loose an apocalypse upon the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,499,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible