Promethea by Alan Moore

Promethea (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Alan Moore, III. J. H. Williams, Mick Gray

Member:coldkettlejr
Title:Promethea
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:III. J. H. Williams, Mick Gray
Info:La Jolla, CA : America's Best Comics, c2000-

Promethea, Volume 1 by Alan Moore (2000)

Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka (ryvre)
    ryvre: Both feature gorgeous art by J.H. Williams III.
    The Invisibles: Say You Want a Revolution by Grant Morrison (Ain_Sophist)
    Air Vol. 1: Letters from Lost Countries by G. Willow Wilson (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Weird fantasy philosophical musings? Check.
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: They could practically be set in the same 90s version of the future.
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both stories about the power of stories themselves, about moving in and out of imagination and writing as magic.
    The Invisibles: Apocalipstick by Grant Morrison (Ain_Sophist)
    La Muse by Adi Tantimedh (titania86)

See review on book 5 ( )
  atreic | Aug 5, 2016 |
Not Alan Moore's best work, but even his mediocre work is pretty darn good. This is a story about the power of stories -- people who make art about Promethea can become her. So far, they've done a pretty good job taking advantage of that premise and using it unique ways.

The backdrop is a futuristic city that really reminds me of the one in The Dark Knight Returns. I'll be interested to find out if there's a thematic reason for that, or if it's just incidental, but it provides some of my favorite little elements -- the Weeping Gorilla comics/ad campaigns, and the Five Swell Guys superhero team! They both seem to be used as more than just jokes, they become more important to the story as the issues develop, so I hope they continue to get more important. ( )
  FFortuna | Jun 20, 2014 |
As it turns out I've read this before. However, I liked it a lot better this time--perhaps because I was paying more attention? Or got used to how Alan Moore writes from making my way through Watchmen? Whatever the reason, this was quite enjoyable and I'm looking forward to picking up the next one. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I am in love with this series. It's a spectacular blend of rich, wacky worldbuilding and an excitingly metatextual meditation on the nature of storytelling and imagination. The complex and convincing literary history that Alan Moore invents for Promethea is sure to make literature nerds happy, but meanwhile he entertains readers with a colorful world that is really rather Joss Whedon-y in its sense of humor and sensibilities.

Lest Alan Moore receive all the praise, the art is also fantastic. Too many comics have mediocre or merely decent art; every page in this comic really is a work of art, and evokes emotions that comic books usually can't touch.

If I have any complaint, it's that the main characters are college students but act like high school students - not that college-age kids are a particularly mature bunch, but Sophia and Stacia feel like sixteen-year-olds. However, since this is an alternate world, and it's unclear how old they're supposed to be, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
Moore's original tale of a girl who is transformed into an ideal of truth and righteousness is exquisitely drawn in a style that evokes the flowing beauty of Mucha and the intricate designs of Tiffany. Each era brings a new woman to wear the mantle and embody the ideal of Promethea--if she can bear the weight. ( )
  kivarson | Apr 16, 2011 |
Promethea is perhaps the most pure expression of some of the key themes of writer Alan Moore’s work.

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, J. H., IIIIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, J. H., IIIIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
A small voice pleads in the desert,
A dread shadow laughs in the city,
A desperate student writes the truth.
To Leah, Amber, and Melinda;

To all my family, all my friends.
To my wife, Wendy, for all her everloving support, inspiration and insightful help in the design of Promethea. The art and my life wouldn't be as good without her. Oh, and for her cookies, I must not forget the cookies! Also to Mick Gray, my friend and colleague, and to the power of the imagination.
The ink that I slapped around on this book is dedicated to all the people who made it possible for me to slap around ink on comic books: J.H. Williams III, Mark McKenna, Dan Vado, Chuck Austen, Frank Cirocco, and the rest of you... [sic.] you know who you are. To my favorite comic book writer, Alan Moore -- THANK YOU! Also, I can't forget my wonderful wife, and assistant, Holly...[sic.] the greatest gal in the world.
Alexandria, 411 A.D.

University student Sophie Bangs finds herself in a struggle for her life when her investigation of the myths and stories of the mystic warrior woman Prometha lead her into a world of deadly spirits, desperate heroics, and the knowledge of power within herself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible