The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck

The Christmas Sweater (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Glenn Beck, Jason F. Wright, Kevin Balfe

Member:dara85
Title:The Christmas Sweater
Authors:Glenn Beck
Other authors:Jason F. Wright, Kevin Balfe
Info:Threshold Editions (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 284 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Read
Tags:Fiction, Christmas, bakery, search for presents, bike, sweater, fatherless, accident, grandparents, farm, bitter, dream

The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck (2008)

I was a Glenn Beck fan for about 5 years, during his earlier time on Fox radio. I had to listen to him while holding my nose though, as his arrogance irritated me. What I liked about him was that he wasn't afraid to speak what he felt to be the truth. He was not just another nodding head, repeating all of the talking points obediently, like 99% of those on the right AND the left do every day, all day long. Glenn spoke with conviction and spoke what he felt to be true.
As time went on, Glenn began to preach the end times a bit too much for public consumption. He was convinced that the USA was about to go thru dramatic economic changes, including collapse. He began, out of his own convictions, to help others to prepare....by selling their goods, stockpiling food, gold, ammunition, etc. This, no doubt, was too much for the "stay in the lines" FOX execs, and Glenn left Fox to start his own program. At that time, I jumped off his wagon.
When I saw that GLenn had written a Christmas novel, entitled The Christmas Sweater, I simply surmised that he was cashing in on his fame for a bit more money. My struggling admiration for him sunk to a new low, and I wrote him off once and for all.
I picked up the audio book, desperate for a good Christmas story around the holidays, as I always do, and was very pleasantly surprised at the simplicity, the honesty, and the ability to show his worst side in a honest and straightforward manner. The story is one that so many of us could write. A story of selfish rebellion as a youngster and it touched me. Although he fell a bit short in his analysis of "what Christmas is all about" in my own estimation, he did not fall short in his own. His faith differs from mine to some extent, but that's not the point of this review. The point of this review is that no matter whether I agree with all of his tactics, I do admire his honesty, his humility, and I do applaud his writing.
Thanks Glenn. ( )
  pife43 | Jul 23, 2014 |
okay ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Writing: 10.0; great conversational tone as Mr. Beck develops this wonderful "biographical" story
Theme: 10.0; autobiographical in nature based on Glenn Beck's own childhood; the sadness that our words and actions can have on our lives in an eternal way
Content: 10.0; death and heartbreak at Christmas between child and mother; rebellion of a child (which is condemned); the ultimate confession of a child in repentance
Language: 10.0; I believe one use of vulgarity, but it is condemned

Overall: 10.0; great said, yet heartwarming story from a humble man, Glenn Beck; highly recommend

***December 20, 2013*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Dec 28, 2013 |
I first learned about this book when I was listening to the author's syndicated talk radio program. He was, of course, hawking his soon to be released novel and continually mentioning the fact the a Play based on the novel was also opening soon and tickets were sold out for most of the shows. Normally I wouldn't pay attention to these advertisements, but then he mentioned that Stephen King had also written a new book that was to be released at the same time...and then it was reported that Stephen King said some disparaging things about our men and women in the military...and Glen Beck was sort of waging a personal campaign to do better than Stephen King on the bestseller list, so I couldn't resist reading his book and I'm very glad that I did! It's a story about a boy's devastating loss, an unwanted Christmas gift, a glimpse of a path none of us would want to be on, followed by a life-altering encounter with the same God this boy tried to deny. It's a story of faith, atonement, and second chances. There are a lot of memorable quotes in the book. My favorite are: "Sometimes the gift we want most is already with us, but we have to get out of our own way to receive it." (p. 234) "When you choose the path, you choose the destination." (p.244) "All journeys, for good or evil, being with one small step." (p. 244) ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
Fantastic, fast read. I developed a connection to the main character from the first page. The theme of the story, not taking for granted the blessings you have, is one we all need to be reminded of from time to time. Recommend this one! ( )
  lesliewright34 | Jun 18, 2013 |

Glenn Beckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balfe, Kevinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wright, Jason F.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my children,

Mary, Hannah. Raphe, and Cheyenne.

Always remember where we came from, how we got here, and Who led us into the warmth of the sunshine.
The Christmas sweater sat on the top shelf of my closet for many years.

A modern day Christmas Carol or It's a Wonderful Life

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141659485X, Hardcover)

If You Could Change Your Life by Reversing Your Biggest Regrets, Sorrows and Mistakes...Would You?

#1 New York Times bestselling author and renowned radio and television host Glenn Beck delivers an instant holiday classic about boyhood memories, wrenching life lessons, and the true meaning of the gifts we give to one another in love.

We weren't wealthy, we weren't poor -- we just were. We never wanted for anything, except maybe more time together....

When Eddie was twelve years old, all he wanted for Christmas was a bike. Although his life had gotten harder -- and money tighter -- since his father died and the family bakery closed...Eddie dreamed that somehow his mother would find a way to have his dream bike gleaming beside their modest Christmas tree that magical morning.

What he got from her instead was a sweater. "A stupid, handmade, ugly sweater" that young Eddie left in a crumpled ball in the corner of his room.

Scarred deeply by the realization that kids don't always get what they want, and too young to understand that he already owned life's most valuable treasures, that Christmas morning was the beginning of Eddie's dark and painful journey on the road to manhood. It will take wrestling with himself, his faith, and his family -- and the guidance of a mysterious neighbor named Russell -- to help Eddie find his path through the storm clouds of life and finally see the real significance of that simple gift his mother had crafted by hand with love in her heart.

Based on a deeply personal true story, The Christmas Sweater is a warm and poignant tale of family, faith and forgiveness that offers us a glimpse of our own lives -- while also making us question if we really know what's most important in them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:23 -0400)

A young boy is given a sweater by his mother before she dies--a final gesture that teaches him the true meaning of love.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,675,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible