Anteater of Death by Betty Webb

Anteater of Death

by Betty Webb

Series: Gunn Zoo Mystery (1)

11919144,184 (3.49)28

I enjoyed this one. While the protagonist made some blindingly stupid decisions - all too typical in a cozy series - the writing about the animals more than made up for it. The author does a great job of getting inside an animal's head without anthropomorphism - and clearly gets that people are not all that much more complicated than other animals.

Unsurprisingly, I have a bit of a crush on the love interest :) If anything knocks me out of this series, it will be the protagonist making plot-driven-yet-stupid relationship decisions. She gets a pass for now, since this is just the first book in the series and I want to hear more about the zoo and all its denizens. Hopefully that won't happen in later installments :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Excellent murder mystery set against a zoo backdrop. Zookeeper and ex-socialite Teddi Bentley tries to save a giant anteater when a man is found dead in the animal's enclosure. Turns out he was shot but the anteater is not out of trouble. Appealing lead character, believable plot that turns her on to her sleuthing path, interesting bits of zoolore, all the elements come together for a fun read ( )
  NickHowes | Feb 25, 2017 |
Book on CD read by Hillary Huber

Zookeeper Theodora (Teddy) Bentley is responsible for the Gunn Zoo’s Giant Anteater, Lucy. When cleaning Lucy’s enclosure Teddy finds the body of a man. But Teddy is certain that he wasn’t killed by Lucy, and she has to prove it.

As cozy mysteries go, this is a pretty good one. A zookeeper is an interesting – and different – occupation for an amateur sleuth. Teddy’s life is complicated by a mother (Caro) who is a former beauty queen and socialite, and a father who is wanted by the feds for embezzling. As if that’s not enough to deal with, the local Sheriff is a former high-school flame, and it seems the attraction is still hot. Of course, Caro disapproves of the migrant-worker’s son and persists in trying to introduce Teddy to a wealthy eligible bachelor. And then a few miscreants at the harbor where Teddy moors her boat – The Merilee – are threatening to have her evicted from her berth.

Webb gives tidbits of information on the animals Teddy cares for, as well as the joys and challenges of living aboard a refitted trawler. We get some back story on Teddy and Sheriff Joe Rejas, as well as Teddy’s family. Teddy is a strong female lead, intelligent and self-sufficient, if a little foolhardy at times. There were plenty of suspects to keep me guessing, and a reasonably satisfactory ending. I’ll definitely read more of this series.

Hillary Huber’s performance on the audio was less than stellar. She has good pacing, but I really hated the voices she used for most of the characters. ( )
  BookConcierge | Dec 28, 2016 |
I'd absolutely recommend this to mystery readers who love animals. But, that said, I admit that it left something to be desired. There were times (especially in the beginning) where I almost felt as if the author was writing an adult story for a younger reader; in other words, things were just a bit too... cute? sweet? One way or another, I on more than one occasion had the impulse to roll my eyes at the main character. But, things did get better. I got more wrapped up in the story, and true to what I'd heard, the animal/wildlife details made the read stick out from other middle-of-the-road mysteries. I'll also admit that there were enough little twists to keep me guessing while also allowing the story to remain more believable than not.

So, all told, I'll certainly go on to read the next in the series. Was this the best book I've read this year? Not by a long shot. But, it was an enjoyable mystery, with many memorable moments. And for an animal lover who hung on the passages that revolved around the zoo's wildlife... well, I'll just say that this was something I enjoyed as an escape and looked forward to picking back up each time I walked away from it.

I'm hoping for a little bit more (character-wise) from the next in the series, but I have a feeling I'll end up reading the whole series regardless. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Dec 26, 2016 |
A friend was reading this book, THE ANTEATER OF DEATH by Betty Webb. I was so intrigued by the title and cover picture that I had to read it.
I do think that a book’s cover art and title provide good access points for a book. They intrigue us, ‘beckon us in’ to find out more. I was definitely curious with this title.
THE ANTEATER OF DEATH is the 1st title in Ms. Webb’s Gunn Zoo Mystery series.
I liked the flow of the book and Ms. Webb’s acknowledgements. I liked learning more about anteaters. (I did not know that they had such vicious, sharp claws.)
Though the mystery was a bit light and many of the characters shallow and silly, the details about the Gunn Zoo animals and how they were cared for made up for the book’s shortcomings.
I like a good, detailed ‘sense of place’ and a purpose to the characters. Making the rounds with Theodora Iona Esmeralda Bentley (Teddy) offered me many hours of cheerful and interesting reading (except for the murders, of course). ( )
  diana.hauser | Jul 14, 2016 |

Webb, Bettyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Huber, HillaryReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

When Lucy, a pregnant giant anteater from Belize, is blamed for killing the man found dead in her pen, California zookeeper Teddy Bentley races against time to find the real culprit before Lucy is shipped to another zoo, but her investigation is undermined by another murder, a threatened eviction, a father on the lam, and a socialite mother out to destroy her romance with Sheriff Joe Rejas.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,928,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible