dismiss

World War Z by Max Brooks

World War Z (2006)

by Max Brooks

12,245624335 (4)3 / 661
An account of the decade-long conflict between humankind and hordes of the predatory undead is told from the perspective of dozens of survivors who describe in their own words the epic human battle for survival.
Recently added byharryo19, DustyKozmos, elam11, travis.wills, Luis_Castrillo, anelmwhois, JaredGniewek, rena40, private library
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Feed (Newsflesh, Book 1) by Mira Grant (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (divinenanny)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 01: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (timspalding)
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (timspalding)
    timspalding: Very similar style.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (infjsarah)
    infjsarah: Older sci-fi but still very effective. Survival against mindless, ever increasing enemy.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (timspalding)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (stmartins)
    stmartins: Also a killer Zombie thriller and an awesome first book in the "Joe Ledger" series. Teaser and free prequal story avaiable at stmartins.com/JonathanMaberry
    Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (MyriadBooks)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead by Jonathan Maberry (ShelfMonkey)
    And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic by Randy Shilts (timspalding)
    timspalding: Some may take offense at the suggestion, but I think don't think World War Z could have been written without And the Band Played On, an oral history of the all-too-real AIDS epidemic. Shilts' is by far the better book, even if it weren't true and important.… (more)
    The Three: A Novel by Sarah Lotz (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Speculative fiction, same piecey storytelling style.
    The Rising by Brian Keene (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The Rising is probably my favorite zombie novel.
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: A completely different take on zombies: here, they're not "out to get you," just beings who may or may not have souls, and Lindqvist treats all those related questions.
    Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (FFortuna)
    The Dogs of War: The Courage, Love, and Loyalty of Military Working Dogs by Lisa Rogak (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, it's a history nonfiction being recommended for association with World War Z, but readers who enjoyed Darnell Hackworth's interview will love the true stories in this book.
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (rcollett)
    rcollett: Great Books!
    Zombies of Byzantium by Sean Munger (meggyweg)

English (609)  French (7)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (625)
This book never really had a fair chance. I had such high expectations that I don't think any book could have lived up to it.

I enjoyed this book overall, but the interviews were hard to follow at times. It was interesting to see the different perspectives, but there were parts of the war I wish had more content.

Not a bad book, but not great. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
More like 3.5 stars. Imaginative and brutal. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this! I'm a big fan of documentary-style approaches to fantastical events so this book was a ton of fun. I think I enjoy the bureaucratic fallout of a zombie apocalypse more than I'm interested in, you know, zombies ( )
  hatingongodot | May 3, 2020 |
I am a zombie movie fan. Dawn of the Dead makes it into my top 5 movies of all time, and because I'm a qualified, certified film buff (BA in Film Studies), I imagine that says a lot. And where I appreciate the recent third wave of zombie films, I frown upon "fast" zombies. This is why:

Zombies aren't supposed to be scary. What is scary is how capitalism, white supremacy, patriarchy, and the state have cut us all off from one another to the extent that, when freaky weird shit starts happening, we have no ability whatever to deal with that freaky weird shit. We stand teetering on the brink of complete disaster at all times, because our first instinct is to fuck over everyone else (specifically poor people, non-white people, non-male people, people without power) in order to survive. The fear in zombie movies (good ones), is that we are so inherently broken by our bullshit systematic oppressions, that we cannot survive even the slowest, stupidest monster. When everything begins to fall apart, we are too weak to resist.

World War Z is like a series of great zombie movie ideas: What would a zombie threat do to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? What are the affects of war-weariness from frivolous capitalist wars on the army's ability to battle a zombie menace? For that matter, how ineffective would the tech-heavy, Rumsfeldian "fast war" US military be against zombies? How would present-day China react to an outbreak of zombies? What if the U.S. was forced into Cuba to flee a zombie horde on their mainland?

I'm not going to say this was a great book. I am going to say, however, that I enjoyed it thoroughly, and I'd recommend it to any Romero-styled zombie fan. ( )
  magonistarevolt | Apr 28, 2020 |
I had very low expectations for this novel. A zombie story?! But it is actually quite fun. Brooks tries to tell it like an oral history, and I found this amusing and interesting. It does get more tiresome maybe halfway through, when Brooks shifts to telling stories from the perspective of the military. This part loses credibility; it all feels off. Despite the cartoony feel, Brooks does keep the story-telling momentum---but then it all wraps up without a satisfactory conclusion. Still, much better than I had expected. ( )
  breic | Apr 23, 2020 |

Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Henry Michael Brooks,
who makes me want to change the world.
Bana dünyayı değiştirme isteği veren
Henry Michael Brooks için...
Introduction - It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more "hip" titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."
Setting - Greater Chongqing, the United Federation of China
Chapter One - The first outbreak I saw was in a remote village that officially had no name.
'Fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe' Turn on the TV what are you seeing? People selling you products? No. People selling you the fear of you having to live without their products' Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells. pg 55 (edit)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,514,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible