World War Z by Max Brooks

World War Z (2006)

by Max Brooks

11,478587330 (4)3 / 646
Recently added byDW_Acheronlover, briantnek, private library, NazarethLibrary, rena75, msevans, CeciliaZ
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Feed by Mira Grant (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (divinenanny)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (timspalding)
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (timspalding)
    timspalding: Very similar style.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (infjsarah)
    infjsarah: Older sci-fi but still very effective. Survival against mindless, ever increasing enemy.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (timspalding)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (stmartins)
    stmartins: Also a killer Zombie thriller and an awesome first book in the "Joe Ledger" series. Teaser and free prequal story avaiable at stmartins.com/JonathanMaberry
    Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (MyriadBooks)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Zone One: A Novel by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead by Jonathan Maberry (ShelfMonkey)
    Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (FFortuna)
    And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic by Randy Shilts (timspalding)
    timspalding: Some may take offense at the suggestion, but I think don't think World War Z could have been written without And the Band Played On, an oral history of the all-too-real AIDS epidemic. Shilts' is by far the better book, even if it weren't true and important.… (more)
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (rcollett)
    rcollett: Great Books!
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: A completely different take on zombies: here, they're not "out to get you," just beings who may or may not have souls, and Lindqvist treats all those related questions.
    The Rising by Brian Keene (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The Rising is probably my favorite zombie novel.
    The Three by Sarah Lotz (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Speculative fiction, same piecey storytelling style.
    The Dogs of War: The Courage, Love, and Loyalty of Military Working Dogs by Lisa Rogak (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, it's a history nonfiction being recommended for association with World War Z, but readers who enjoyed Darnell Hackworth's interview will love the true stories in this book.
    Zombies of Byzantium by Sean Munger (meggyweg)

English (573)  French (7)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (588)
I bought this book on Kindle not really knowing what to expect. I am definitely not a Zombie fan but many friends said this was something a little different. How right there were! This book truely does redefine the Zombie genre.

Max Brooks goes into almost unbelievable detail on just how humanity is first affected, then it's subsequent adaption, to a Zombie outbreak from a variety of viewpoints from across the world. The international aspect and the 'real world' thoughts on the situation add a disturbing layer of reality to the story. The imagination and research that have gone into this are astounding.

Definitely a good read for those interested in zombie stories but also those who want a certain 'reality' added to this aspect of the supernatural. ( )
  spooks101 | Dec 4, 2018 |
I watched the Hollywood blockbuster and, intrigued, decided to read the immeasurably richer book. I'm not a fan of the zombie genre and yet found this book so absorbing. Brook's super-imposing of such an extreme "what if" scenario on our contemporary socio-political context, stripped of all political correctness, is brilliant. I wish he'd given us (and I realize the ridiculousness of this "criticism") more of a hint as to the nature of the pathogen, if that is remotely the term, and its cause, or at least its origin. Brooks never mentioned any biomedical research being done, the aspect I was most interested in. However gripping the account of the war through first person anecdotes, I still missed a protagonist. Still a brilliant piece of writing. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
This book is great for any fan of the zombie fiction and the epistolary novel. I had a hard time putting it down in parts. Cover many points of view and situations. Great Book ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
World War Z started off really great, talked about why the dead were coming back to life, showed the slow progression of the infected areas and how countries and people were reacting to it and then that is it. Mid way through the rest of the book is just random stories that happened during the war. I didn't like that. There wasn't a sense of time with the stories after the first few chapters, it became all one big unidentified blur of time, could not tell if it was towards the height of the infected or towards the end. There were maybe a few parts where you could tell things were shifting, the president wanting to give hope to the future by going on the offense, more military sections, but then it would throw in random shit that wasn't fitting the flow of the book at all and would make it seem so random. I wished the book was more of a mock text book where you have the big events the government and military do noted and defined while still including the civilian stuff but not as much or dramatic. I have no idea how this was turned into a movie, I'll definitely go see it eventually. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
I love me a faux oral history. I love me a faux oral history that so thinly covers our actual world even more.

This is how it would happen. If there was a zombie apocalypse, it would be just like this, the way governments and people reacted, the way it's remembered in history. I spent half this book horrified, the other half grinning.

Israel's plan. South Africa's. The dogs used by the US armed forces. The Whacko. How years later they are still sweeping underwater and in frozen areas to clear out the zombies. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |

Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Henry Michael Brooks,
who makes me want to change the world.
Bana dünyayı değiştirme isteği veren
Henry Michael Brooks için...
Introduction - It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more "hip" titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."
Setting - Greater Chongqing, the United Federation of China
Chapter One - The first outbreak I saw was in a remote village that offically had no name.
'Fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe' Turn on the TV what are you seeing? People selling you products? No. People selling you the fear of you having to live without their products' Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells. pg 55 (edit)

“The end was near.” —Voices from the Zombie War

The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid-etched first-hand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet. He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. World War Z is the result. Never before have we had access to a document that so powerfully conveys the depth of fear and horror, and also the ineradicable spirit of resistance, that gripped human society through the plague years.

Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trail began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this invaluable chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War.

Most of all, the book captures with haunting immediacy the human dimension of this epochal event. Facing the often raw and vivid nature of these personal accounts requires a degree of courage on the part of the reader, but the effort is invaluable because, as Mr. Brooks says in his introduction, “By excluding the human factor, aren’t we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it? And in the end, isn’t the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as ‘the living dead’?”

Note: Some of the numerical and factual material contained in this edition was previously published under the auspices of the United Nations Postwar Commission.

Eyewitness reports from the first truly global war

“I found ‘Patient Zero’ behind the locked door of an abandoned apartment across town. . . . His wrists and feet were bound with plastic packing twine. Although he’d rubbed off the skin around his bonds, there was no blood. There was also no blood on his other wounds. . . . He was writhing like an animal; a gag muffled his growls. At first the villagers tried to hold me back. They warned me not to touch him, that he was ‘cursed.’ I shrugged them off and reached for my mask and gloves. The boy’s skin was . . . cold and gray . . . I could find neither his heartbeat nor his pulse.” —Dr. Kwang Jingshu, Greater Chongqing, United Federation of China

“‘Shock and Awe’? Perfect name. . . . But what if the enemy can’t be shocked and awed? Not just won’t, but biologically can’t! That’s what happened that day outside New York City, that’s the failure that almost lost us the whole damn war. The fact that we couldn’t shock and awe Zack boomeranged right back in our faces and actually allowed Zack to shock and awe us! They’re not afraid! No matter what we do, no matter how many we kill, they will never, ever be afraid!” —Todd Wainio, former U.S. Army infantryman and veteran of the Battle of Yonkers

“Two hundred million zombies. Who can even visualize that type of number, let alone combat it? . . . For the first time in history, we faced an enemy that was actively waging total war. They had no limits of endurance. They would never negotiate, never surrender. They would fight until the very end because, unlike us, every single one of them, every second of every day, was devoted to consuming all life on Earth.” —General Travis D’Ambrosia, Supreme Allied Commander, Europe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

An account of the decade-long conflict between humankind and hordes of the predatory undead is told from the perspective of dozens of survivors who describe in their own words the epic human battle for survival.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible