World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie…

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Max Brooks

12,501637333 (4)3 / 663
An account of the decade-long conflict between humankind and hordes of the predatory undead is told from the perspective of dozens of survivors who describe in their own words the epic human battle for survival.
Member:cvedovini
Title:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Authors:Max Brooks
Info:Three Rivers Press (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

World War Z by Max Brooks (2006)

Recently added byBreannaKop, jrademaker, rayneichii, GristleMcNerd, Sungil, kaballerau, Arina40, private library, SSBranham
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Feed by Mira Grant (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (divinenanny)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 01: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (timspalding)
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (timspalding)
    timspalding: Very similar style.
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (infjsarah)
    infjsarah: Older sci-fi but still very effective. Survival against mindless, ever increasing enemy.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (timspalding)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (stmartins)
    stmartins: Also a killer Zombie thriller and an awesome first book in the "Joe Ledger" series. Teaser and free prequal story avaiable at stmartins.com/JonathanMaberry
    Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (MyriadBooks)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead by Jonathan Maberry (ShelfMonkey)
    And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic by Randy Shilts (timspalding)
    timspalding: Some may take offense at the suggestion, but I think don't think World War Z could have been written without And the Band Played On, an oral history of the all-too-real AIDS epidemic. Shilts' is by far the better book, even if it weren't true and important.… (more)
    The Three: A Novel by Sarah Lotz (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Speculative fiction, same piecey storytelling style.
    The Rising by Brian Keene (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The Rising is probably my favorite zombie novel.
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: A completely different take on zombies: here, they're not "out to get you," just beings who may or may not have souls, and Lindqvist treats all those related questions.
    Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (FFortuna)
    The Dogs of War: The Courage, Love, and Loyalty of Military Working Dogs by Lisa Rogak (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, it's a history nonfiction being recommended for association with World War Z, but readers who enjoyed Darnell Hackworth's interview will love the true stories in this book.
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (rcollett)
    rcollett: Great Books!
    Zombies of Byzantium by Sean Munger (meggyweg)

English (622)  French (7)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (638)
This is actually how I would imagine the zombie apocalypse turning out. It feels like non-fiction, and the interviews are really well done. for quite a few moments throughout the book, i thought i was reading a real oral history. ( )
  AmazingBaka | Sep 3, 2020 |
Because this is in interview format with several survivors involved in the Zombie wars, it lacked the momentum that a plot-driven novel might have. Still an intriguing concept. A lot of military references and methodology discussed — it was a war after all— but I wish there had been more civilian POV. I also liked the descriptions of this post-apocalyptic world and how some countries had changed as a result. Happened to read this during our current (and real) pandemic of 2020. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Aug 7, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book...in the beginning. It started out great. There was the mystery of the virus that turned people into zombies and it was intriguing. Probably the middle 80% of the book was recounts of what happened in different countries. Those chapters were interesting at first but soon became boring and repetitive. My biggest complaint and the reason why I gave this book 2 stars and not 3 is because the cause is never explained. I'm sure there were some scientists somewhere researching this virus. Why weren't they interviewed? I would have found that much more enthralling than countless retellings of battles across the world. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
Only thing I missed was a section with some scientists talking sciencey about the science bit. ( )
  st3t | Aug 3, 2020 |
Great concept and offers a fanciful juxtaposition to the current covid pandemic we're facing, but I found the frenetic story telling style too jittery and incoherent. It's telling when one prefers the wikipedia summary over the book. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |

Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

For Henry Michael Brooks,
who makes me want to change the world.
Bana dünyayı değiştirme isteği veren
Henry Michael Brooks için...
Introduction - It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more "hip" titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."
Setting - Greater Chongqing, the United Federation of China
Chapter One - The first outbreak I saw was in a remote village that officially had no name.
'Fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe' Turn on the TV what are you seeing? People selling you products? No. People selling you the fear of you having to live without their products' Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells. pg 55 (edit)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,571,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible