World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie…

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Max Brooks

9,171501326 (4.02)3 / 581
Member:maschine
Title:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Authors:Max Brooks
Info:Three Rivers Press (CA) (2011), Ausgabe: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 420 Seiten
Collections:Your library, Gelesen, 2012 neu, 2012 gelesen
Rating:*****
Tags:new in 2012, read, read in 2012

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (2006)

Feed by Mira Grant (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (divinenanny)
    The Stand by Stephen King (timspalding)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (timspalding)
    timspalding: Very similar style.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (timspalding)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (stmartins)
    stmartins: Also a killer Zombie thriller and an awesome first book in the "Joe Ledger" series. Teaser and free prequal story avaiable at stmartins.com/JonathanMaberry
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (infjsarah)
    infjsarah: Older sci-fi but still very effective. Survival against mindless, ever increasing enemy.
    Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (MyriadBooks)
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead by Jonathan Maberry (ShelfMonkey)
    Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (FFortuna)
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: A completely different take on zombies: here, they're not "out to get you," just beings who may or may not have souls, and Lindqvist treats all those related questions.
    The Rising by Brian Keene (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The Rising is probably my favorite zombie novel.
    Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Three by Sarah Lotz (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Speculative fiction, same piecey storytelling style.
    Fallout by Todd Strasser (meggyweg)
    Zombies of Byzantium by Sean Munger (meggyweg)
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (rcollett)
    rcollett: Great Books!

English (489)  French (6)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (503)
Zombie Survival Guide: Part Deux.

Prior to read this book, I had read [b:The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead|535441|The Zombie Survival Guide Complete Protection from the Living Dead|Max Brooks|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320562270s/535441.jpg|818] by [a:Max Brooks|5791|Max Brooks|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1334340170p2/5791.jpg]. One important chapter in that book delineated the differences between a Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, and Class 4 zombie outbreak. This book, [b:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War|8908|World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War|Max Brooks|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386328204s/8908.jpg|817], is the essential spiritual sequel to that book. So if you're looking for a zombie world war that follows one character, or a few characters, and how they survived the world's worst war, then you're looking in the wrong place. But if you're looking for an introspective look at the lives and stories of the survivors of such a war, then this is a wonderful and fascinating look at World War Z.

One way to read World War Z is as the spiritual sequel to the Zombie Survival Guide. Basically, it's all about a class 4 zombie outbreak: what would happen if the entire world were to essentially fall to the threat of the living dead? Instead of writing this book as another 'manual' on how to survive such an outbreak, Max Brooks writes it in a documentary style, look back at the stories that individuals, the survivors, went through at different parts of the war. By writing the book in such a way, it gives us a chance to understand different aspects of the human condition in such circumstances. How do people from different parts of the world deal with this crisis? What about the army, navy, and air force? A blind person? A paraplegic? Dogs? What was the low point of the war? What was needed in order for the tide to change? So many things to think about, and so much of it is included in this book.

There are no main characters to follow along. Rather, the only real character is the concept of the war itself. That's the only constant factor throughout. I found it interesting to see how the world recovers after the war, which that in itself could make for a fascinating movie.

For an alternative look at the zombie genre, check this out. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I enjoy watching zombie movies and The Walking Dead so I thought I'd try this chronicle of a zombie apocalypse. It's clever and imaginative, frequently gripping and gruesome but I guess prefer watching zombie apocalypses to reading about them. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Amazing story and detail. I love the political/social commentary. The only gripe I have was that, while the individual stories are different, the book began to sound like a broken record after a while. I still really enjoyed the read. ( )
  akissner | May 21, 2015 |
World War Z started off really great, talked about why the dead were coming back to life, showed the slow progression of the infected areas and how countries and people were reacting to it and then that is it. Mid way through the rest of the book is just random stories that happened during the war. I didn't like that. There wasn't a sense of time with the stories after the first few chapters, it became all one big unidentified blur of time, could not tell if it was towards the height of the infected or towards the end. There were maybe a few parts where you could tell things were shifting, the president wanting to give hope to the future by going on the offense, more military sections, but then it would throw in random shit that wasn't fitting the flow of the book at all and would make it seem so random. I wished the book was more of a mock text book where you have the big events the government and military do noted and defined while still including the civilian stuff but not as much or dramatic. I have no idea how this was turned into a movie, I'll definitely go see it eventually. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
To be honest I thought long and hard about giving this 3 stars instead of 4. The plot is simply a puzzle you have to patch together on your own from the various interview "vignettes" that make up the book. But, as an end of the world Zombie story, it's very good. So, for that and it's attention to every small detail, I give it the extra star.

Recommend. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
And while all the action and drama is top notch, it would just be a mechanical exercise if it weren’t for the sociological commentary inserted. It may be out in the open but Brooks does not beat you over the head with it. I love how he shows how both the general public and governments deal with zombie crisis, mainly with denial. If you want, zombies are simply a symbol for the entire real world such as climate change or a dwindling supply.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, billssha (Jul 4, 2011)

Max Brooksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Henry Michael Brooks,
who makes me want to change the world.
Bana dünyayı değiştirme isteği veren
Henry Michael Brooks için...
Introduction - It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more "hip" titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."
Setting - Greater Chongqing, the United Federation of China
Chapter One - The first outbreak I saw was in a remote village that offically had no name.
'Fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe' Turn on the TV what are you seeing? People selling you products? No. People selling you the fear of you having to live without their products' Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells. pg 55 (edit)

“The end was near.” —Voices from the Zombie War

The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid-etched first-hand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet. He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. World War Z is the result. Never before have we had access to a document that so powerfully conveys the depth of fear and horror, and also the ineradicable spirit of resistance, that gripped human society through the plague years.

Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trail began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this invaluable chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War.

Most of all, the book captures with haunting immediacy the human dimension of this epochal event. Facing the often raw and vivid nature of these personal accounts requires a degree of courage on the part of the reader, but the effort is invaluable because, as Mr. Brooks says in his introduction, “By excluding the human factor, aren’t we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it? And in the end, isn’t the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as ‘the living dead’?”

Note: Some of the numerical and factual material contained in this edition was previously published under the auspices of the United Nations Postwar Commission.

Eyewitness reports from the first truly global war

“I found ‘Patient Zero’ behind the locked door of an abandoned apartment across town. . . . His wrists and feet were bound with plastic packing twine. Although he’d rubbed off the skin around his bonds, there was no blood. There was also no blood on his other wounds. . . . He was writhing like an animal; a gag muffled his growls. At first the villagers tried to hold me back. They warned me not to touch him, that he was ‘cursed.’ I shrugged them off and reached for my mask and gloves. The boy’s skin was . . . cold and gray . . . I could find neither his heartbeat nor his pulse.” —Dr. Kwang Jingshu, Greater Chongqing, United Federation of China

“‘Shock and Awe’? Perfect name. . . . But what if the enemy can’t be shocked and awed? Not just won’t, but biologically can’t! That’s what happened that day outside New York City, that’s the failure that almost lost us the whole damn war. The fact that we couldn’t shock and awe Zack boomeranged right back in our faces and actually allowed Zack to shock and awe us! They’re not afraid! No matter what we do, no matter how many we kill, they will never, ever be afraid!” —Todd Wainio, former U.S. Army infantryman and veteran of the Battle of Yonkers

“Two hundred million zombies. Who can even visualize that type of number, let alone combat it? . . . For the first time in history, we faced an enemy that was actively waging total war. They had no limits of endurance. They would never negotiate, never surrender. They would fight until the very end because, unlike us, every single one of them, every second of every day, was devoted to consuming all life on Earth.” —General Travis D’Ambrosia, Supreme Allied Commander, Europe

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:37 -0400)

An account of the decade-long conflict between humankind and hordes of the predatory undead is told from the perspective of dozens of survivors who describe in their own words the epic human battle for survival.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible