World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie…

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Max Brooks

9,594529301 (4.01)3 / 593
Member:Kasiabasia
Title:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Authors:Max Brooks
Info:Three Rivers Press (2011), Ausgabe: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 Seiten
Rating:***1/2

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (2006)

Feed by Mira Grant (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (divinenanny)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    The Stand by Stephen King (timspalding)
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (timspalding)
    timspalding: Very similar style.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (timspalding)
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (infjsarah)
    infjsarah: Older sci-fi but still very effective. Survival against mindless, ever increasing enemy.
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (stmartins)
    stmartins: Also a killer Zombie thriller and an awesome first book in the "Joe Ledger" series. Teaser and free prequal story avaiable at stmartins.com/JonathanMaberry
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead by Jonathan Maberry (ShelfMonkey)
    Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (FFortuna)
    The Rising by Brian Keene (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The Rising is probably my favorite zombie novel.
    The Three by Sarah Lotz (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Speculative fiction, same piecey storytelling style.
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: A completely different take on zombies: here, they're not "out to get you," just beings who may or may not have souls, and Lindqvist treats all those related questions.
    Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (MyriadBooks)
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (rcollett)
    rcollett: Great Books!
    Zombies of Byzantium by Sean Munger (meggyweg)
    Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End by Manel Loureiro (jorvaor)
    jorvaor: Similar zombie apocalypse from a single protagonist point of view.
    Fallout by Todd Strasser (meggyweg)

English (515)  French (6)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (529)
Very well thought-out and researched. Most of the tales were interesting with the exception of a few that were almost intolerably boring; but those with riveting stories probably were not... around... to share them?! And the tale about dachshunds being used for zombie recon brought a smile to my face! ( )
  dewbertb | Jan 31, 2016 |
This is one of those books where I really wavered between four and five stars, but I settled on four after realizing that I stalled reading it near the end and found myself with a lack of motivation to finish it. The book really was innovative in some ways, and I really enjoyed a lot of it. But then I would find myself stuck in a quagmire of information about how to fight zombies underwater, and I had trouble going back to reading it. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot, though. ( )
  cvalin | Jan 24, 2016 |
This was a clever method of writing about the great zombie apocalypse (interviews with participants), and allowed the author to offer perceptive inights into current events and human nature. It started to seem a little long, however, past the half way mark. Made me realize how much I enjoy character development in fiction (and a lot of non-fiction, too). ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
I listened to the audio version of this book and loved it. The different characters were voiced by different actors ranging from Alan Alda to Rob Reiner. It was a wonderful production that held my interest and left me wanting more. My only complaint about the entire audio book was that only two female voices were herd and both were incredibly compelling. It left me wanting to hear more from them. ( )
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
OK, truth told. I didn't want to like this book. I'd been pretty much boycotting all things zombie and supernatural because it's clearly become a place for companies to try and mine profits. So much garbage out there. But, I was able to put aside my, admittedly, biased disdain for all things zombies with this book and I'm glad I did. Brooks has clearly done a lot of homework. The focus is not so much on zombies per se, but about how pockets of people, governments, and the rest of the unaffected handle the rise of the zombies. The collapse and eventual survival of humans is given to readers as a series of interviews with presumably notable people to survive the zombie event. THAT method as much as anything is what kept me reading along. I wanted to read the next person's or governments take on what happened and whether or not they handled it well. So, kudos, Mr. Brooks! ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
And while all the action and drama is top notch, it would just be a mechanical exercise if it weren’t for the sociological commentary inserted. It may be out in the open but Brooks does not beat you over the head with it. I love how he shows how both the general public and governments deal with zombie crisis, mainly with denial. If you want, zombies are simply a symbol for the entire real world such as climate change or a dwindling supply.
added by paradoxosalpha | editDaily Kos, billssha (Jul 4, 2011)

Max Brooksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Henry Michael Brooks,
who makes me want to change the world.
Bana dünyayı değiştirme isteği veren
Henry Michael Brooks için...
Introduction - It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more "hip" titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."
Setting - Greater Chongqing, the United Federation of China
Chapter One - The first outbreak I saw was in a remote village that offically had no name.
'Fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe' Turn on the TV what are you seeing? People selling you products? No. People selling you the fear of you having to live without their products' Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells. pg 55 (edit)

“The end was near.” —Voices from the Zombie War

The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid-etched first-hand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet. He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. World War Z is the result. Never before have we had access to a document that so powerfully conveys the depth of fear and horror, and also the ineradicable spirit of resistance, that gripped human society through the plague years.

Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trail began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this invaluable chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War.

Most of all, the book captures with haunting immediacy the human dimension of this epochal event. Facing the often raw and vivid nature of these personal accounts requires a degree of courage on the part of the reader, but the effort is invaluable because, as Mr. Brooks says in his introduction, “By excluding the human factor, aren’t we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it? And in the end, isn’t the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as ‘the living dead’?”

Note: Some of the numerical and factual material contained in this edition was previously published under the auspices of the United Nations Postwar Commission.

Eyewitness reports from the first truly global war

“I found ‘Patient Zero’ behind the locked door of an abandoned apartment across town. . . . His wrists and feet were bound with plastic packing twine. Although he’d rubbed off the skin around his bonds, there was no blood. There was also no blood on his other wounds. . . . He was writhing like an animal; a gag muffled his growls. At first the villagers tried to hold me back. They warned me not to touch him, that he was ‘cursed.’ I shrugged them off and reached for my mask and gloves. The boy’s skin was . . . cold and gray . . . I could find neither his heartbeat nor his pulse.” —Dr. Kwang Jingshu, Greater Chongqing, United Federation of China

“‘Shock and Awe’? Perfect name. . . . But what if the enemy can’t be shocked and awed? Not just won’t, but biologically can’t! That’s what happened that day outside New York City, that’s the failure that almost lost us the whole damn war. The fact that we couldn’t shock and awe Zack boomeranged right back in our faces and actually allowed Zack to shock and awe us! They’re not afraid! No matter what we do, no matter how many we kill, they will never, ever be afraid!” —Todd Wainio, former U.S. Army infantryman and veteran of the Battle of Yonkers

“Two hundred million zombies. Who can even visualize that type of number, let alone combat it? . . . For the first time in history, we faced an enemy that was actively waging total war. They had no limits of endurance. They would never negotiate, never surrender. They would fight until the very end because, unlike us, every single one of them, every second of every day, was devoted to consuming all life on Earth.” —General Travis D’Ambrosia, Supreme Allied Commander, Europe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

An account of the decade-long conflict between humankind and hordes of the predatory undead is told from the perspective of dozens of survivors who describe in their own words the epic human battle for survival.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,096,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible