World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie…

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Max Brooks

Info:Broadway (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 342 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction/Literature/Plays/Essays, Read
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Zombies, Survival

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (2006)

Feed by Mira Grant (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (divinenanny)
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (timspalding)
    The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (timspalding)
    timspalding: Very similar style.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (timspalding)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (stmartins)
    stmartins: Also a killer Zombie thriller and an awesome first book in the "Joe Ledger" series. Teaser and free prequal story avaiable at stmartins.com/JonathanMaberry
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (infjsarah)
    infjsarah: Older sci-fi but still very effective. Survival against mindless, ever increasing enemy.
    Y: The Last Man Vol. 1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan (MyriadBooks)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: Both are tales of how to survive a world gone mad, though there are no zombies in Butler's. Both works' treatment of the human questions are equally nuanced, variable, and detailed.
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Zombie CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead by Jonathan Maberry (ShelfMonkey)
    The Three by Sarah Lotz (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Speculative fiction, same piecey storytelling style.
    The Rising by Brian Keene (yoyogod)
    yoyogod: The Rising is probably my favorite zombie novel.
    Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: A completely different take on zombies: here, they're not "out to get you," just beings who may or may not have souls, and Lindqvist treats all those related questions.
    Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S. G. Browne (FFortuna)
    Fallout by Todd Strasser (meggyweg)
    And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic by Randy Shilts (timspalding)
    timspalding: Some may take offense at the suggestion, but I think don't think World War Z could have been written without And the Band Played On, an oral history of the all-too-real AIDS epidemic. Shilts' is by far the better book, even if it weren't true and important.… (more)
    Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne (rcollett)
    rcollett: Great Books!
    Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)

English (545)  French (7)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (560)
I reread this book after seeing the movie that was just released and it's like having a 5 course meal after eating a light snack.

The movie is a typical action adventure with some American that ran around the globe and saved the day. Boring....

The book covers a multitude of countries with a documentary feel that never gets in the way of the story of the survivors. Haunting, sad, inspiring - the book travels the globe and gives you narrative that describes humanity's reaction to the zombies. The devastation to our civilization is never muted, and I raced through the pages to the end. Recommended. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Great concept and interesting read. My attention wavered near the end, and I'm not a machine/weapons person, so the sections describing them were a little rough. Altogether, a great read! ( )
  Trotsky731 | Mar 16, 2017 |
4.75 stars

I really enjoyed the style of World War Z. I like how it showed the global aspects instead of sticking to certain people. It was so interesting and seemed much more believable than any other zombie book I've read. It doesn't actually focus so much on the zombies; yet, it's still one of the scariest zompoc novels because of the fact that it seems so realistic. WWZ is the first to make me actually fearful of the possibilities.

My biggest issue is that it feels like so much was left out, or maybe it's just that I wanted more so badly. It wasn't a short story, but I felt like it went too quickly. Also, I didn't know about or read the book that preceded it (The Zombie Survival Guide) which is probably a major reason it felt that way to me. I will definitely be checking it out soon.

UPDATE: I watched the movie yesterday. It's very different from the book. I like both. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
4.75 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Although its biting social and political commentary makes it a true contender for a permanent role in the zombie genre, its format causes it to drag like the living dead. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
Pucha, no pude enganchar con este libro no más. Me gustaba la premisa, y partí súper interesada porque a todos los que conozco que han leído el libro les gustó, pero conmigo no hubo caso.
Lo primero que no me gustó fue que el estilo periodístico -para mí- hizo que las historias fueran muy planas, quitándole la parte emocional de los relatos. Yo sé que se supone que ya han pasado 10 años desde la tragedia, pero igual me pareció que todos los personajes hablaban súper despersonalizadamente, no te hacían enganchar con lo que vivieron, no te transmitían mucho, y se supone que vieron e hicieron cuestiones brigidas, entonces como que no compré mucho. Y eso mismo me lleva al segundo punto que no me gustó: encontré que todos los entrevistados tenían la misma "voz". Todos eran más o menos parecidos. Cada cierto rato te encontrabas con un aprovechador, luego con un soldado, de ahí una persona con algún tipo de autoridad, después con una persona común y corriente, y de ahí se repite el ciclo. Y aún así, todos eran medios parecidos. A mi gusto, el autor no se lució mucho ahí, no fue capaz de darle aires diferentes a sus "entrevistados", lo que hizo que para mi, con leer 10 historias ya empecé a sentir que el resto era puro relleno. Traté de seguir, pero no me dio para más que el 30%.
added by Siregar | editJobindo

And while all the action and drama is top notch, it would just be a mechanical exercise if it weren’t for the sociological commentary inserted. It may be out in the open but Brooks does not beat you over the head with it. I love how he shows how both the general public and governments deal with zombie crisis, mainly with denial. If you want, zombies are simply a symbol for the entire real world such as climate change or a dwindling supply.

Max Brooksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tran, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Henry Michael Brooks,
who makes me want to change the world.
Bana dünyayı değiştirme isteği veren
Henry Michael Brooks için...
Introduction - It goes by many names: "The Crisis," "The Dark Years," "The Walking Plague," as well as newer and more "hip" titles such as "World War Z" or "Z War One."
Setting - Greater Chongqing, the United Federation of China
Chapter One - The first outbreak I saw was in a remote village that offically had no name.
'Fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe' Turn on the TV what are you seeing? People selling you products? No. People selling you the fear of you having to live without their products' Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells. pg 55 (edit)

“The end was near.” —Voices from the Zombie War

The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid-etched first-hand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet. He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. World War Z is the result. Never before have we had access to a document that so powerfully conveys the depth of fear and horror, and also the ineradicable spirit of resistance, that gripped human society through the plague years.

Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trail began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this invaluable chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War.

Most of all, the book captures with haunting immediacy the human dimension of this epochal event. Facing the often raw and vivid nature of these personal accounts requires a degree of courage on the part of the reader, but the effort is invaluable because, as Mr. Brooks says in his introduction, “By excluding the human factor, aren’t we risking the kind of personal detachment from history that may, heaven forbid, lead us one day to repeat it? And in the end, isn’t the human factor the only true difference between us and the enemy we now refer to as ‘the living dead’?”

Note: Some of the numerical and factual material contained in this edition was previously published under the auspices of the United Nations Postwar Commission.

Eyewitness reports from the first truly global war

“I found ‘Patient Zero’ behind the locked door of an abandoned apartment across town. . . . His wrists and feet were bound with plastic packing twine. Although he’d rubbed off the skin around his bonds, there was no blood. There was also no blood on his other wounds. . . . He was writhing like an animal; a gag muffled his growls. At first the villagers tried to hold me back. They warned me not to touch him, that he was ‘cursed.’ I shrugged them off and reached for my mask and gloves. The boy’s skin was . . . cold and gray . . . I could find neither his heartbeat nor his pulse.” —Dr. Kwang Jingshu, Greater Chongqing, United Federation of China

“‘Shock and Awe’? Perfect name. . . . But what if the enemy can’t be shocked and awed? Not just won’t, but biologically can’t! That’s what happened that day outside New York City, that’s the failure that almost lost us the whole damn war. The fact that we couldn’t shock and awe Zack boomeranged right back in our faces and actually allowed Zack to shock and awe us! They’re not afraid! No matter what we do, no matter how many we kill, they will never, ever be afraid!” —Todd Wainio, former U.S. Army infantryman and veteran of the Battle of Yonkers

“Two hundred million zombies. Who can even visualize that type of number, let alone combat it? . . . For the first time in history, we faced an enemy that was actively waging total war. They had no limits of endurance. They would never negotiate, never surrender. They would fight until the very end because, unlike us, every single one of them, every second of every day, was devoted to consuming all life on Earth.” —General Travis D’Ambrosia, Supreme Allied Commander, Europe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

An account of the decade-long conflict between humankind and hordes of the predatory undead is told from the perspective of dozens of survivors who describe in their own words the epic human battle for survival.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,319,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible