Fantastic beasts and where to find them by…

Fantastic beasts and where to find them (original 2001; edition 2001)

by J. K. Rowling

9,492110476 (3.67)1 / 147
Member:JenMat
Title:Fantastic beasts and where to find them
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:New York, NY : London : Arthur A. Levine Books ; Obscurus Books, 2001.
Rating:*****

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J. K. Rowling (2001)

English (106)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (111)
I'm just... completely disinterested in this book. I like the other two Hogwarts Library books a lot, but Fantastic Beasts reads like a textbook and I was utterly bored. I've actually lowered the score from my previous one when I was a kid. A lot of these entries are very vague and unhelpful, especially on the magical creatures that Rowling pulled from mythology. Many of the entries are littered with anecdotes, some of which are interesting, but many of which are not.

Additionally, the book has Ron and Harry's scribblings in it. If they were more frequent, this could have been interesting, but they're only a couple of snide comments about Hagrid and some Chudley Cannons graffiti that really didn't add anything to the enjoyment of the book.

I support the original publishing of the book, because Rowling's royalties were donated to charity, but honestly, if you're looking for a compendium of magical beasts... there are more interesting, more detailed ones out there. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 12, 2019 |
Yet another one of J.K. Rowling's brilliant windows into the world of Harry Potter. It's books like these that make you really want to believe that there's a world beyond the page! ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I listened to the audio book of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them read by Eddie Redmayne in the car on the way to Sydney for Christmas this year. The book is nothing like the movie of the same name. What I found instead was a meta fiction style text book from Hogwarts Library written of course by the talented JK Rowling in the guise of Newt Scamander.

Published in 2001, this is a guide book to the magical creatures in the Harry Potter universe. After an introduction about the differences between beings and beasts and then being acquainted with their different danger levels we progressed through an A-Z of magical creatures.

JK Rowling's imagination really knows no bounds, and while the description for each beast was creative, informative and sometimes amusing, it was ultimately a dry read. I also think something was lost in the audio experience, as I've seen other readers who enjoyed the illustrations and margin notes from Ron Weasley that obviously weren't available in the audio production.

Overall, this was a great way to break up the monotony of the long drive, but didn't add all that much to my enjoyment of the Harry Potter series. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Dec 31, 2018 |
The audible book for this is amazing. I loved it so much I have listened to it 3 times. Eddie Redmayne as the narrator is just wonderful. I loved learning about all the different beasts. After watching the movies I could actually picture some beasts while listening. I loved the extra effects that were going on in the background while Eddie Redmayne spoke. This really is a wonderful audible book. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Hay un ejemplar de Animales fantásticos y dónde encontrarlos en casi todos los hogares de magos del país. Ahora, también los muggles pueden descubrir dónde viven los quintapeds, qué come el puffskein y por qué es mejor no dejar leche fuera de casa para un knarl.

Lo que se origine de la venta de este libro se destinará a Comic Relief, lo que significa que los euros, dólares o galeones que pagues por él producirán una magia que va más allá de los poderes de cualquier mago. Si consideras que ésta no es razón suficiente para desprenderte de tu dinero, sólo me queda confiar en que, si alguna vez te ataca una mantícora, los magos que anden cerca se sientan más caritativos.
  guaguas | Nov 19, 2018 |

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scamander, Newtmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gill, Olivia LomenechIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dumbledore, AlbusPrefacesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Masini, BeatriceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newton 'Newt' Artemis Fido Scamander was born in 1897.

AR Level 8.8, 2 pts

A description of beasts, believed by Muggles to be mythical, like the Quintaped, the Puffskein, and the Knarl.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,551,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible