Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street, Book…

Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street, Book 1) (edition 1999)

by Lisa Kleypas

Member:MeijiBlack
Title:Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street, Book 1)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (1999), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:TBR, Historical Romance, Lisa Kleypas

Someone to Watch Over Me by Lisa Kleypas

I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top book
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
Someone to Watch Over Me
4 Stars

Although the plot is quite predictable, the story is entertaining nonetheless.

When dedicated Bow Street Runner, Grant Morgan, is called to the scene of a drowning on the Thames, he is astounded to discover that the victim is not only alive but her identity is that of the most notorious courtesan in London, Vivian Duvall. Unfortunately, Vivian is suffering from amnesia and has no memory of the attack, or her promiscuous lifestyle, and Grant vows to protect her even though she once slighted him.

While Vivian is a sweet and endearing heroine, she is just a little too meek and submissive for my tastes. In contrast, Grant is an intense and sexy hero with a painful past, which makes it difficult for him to accept his growing attraction to Vivian. Their romance is intense and their chemistry tangible but the “I love you’s” come along too quickly, especially considering Grant’s initial aversion to Vivian.

The suspense plot is intriguing with solid investigative techniques (Grant’s old school, brute force style is particularly apt) and a tense and satisfying climax. That said, the identity of the villain is far too obvious and his motivation is quite weak.

In sum, despite its problems, Someone to Watch Over Me is a charming romance with a solid mystery and fans of Kleypas’s writing will not be disappointed.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I'm becoming a big Lisa Kleypas fan. A woman is dragged from the Thames, badly beaten and believed drown and a Bow Street Runner is sent for. When he arrives, he recognizes her as an infamous courtansan who had spread vicious rumors about him. He turned her over and she coughed, realizing that she wasn't dead he picked her up and took her to his home and sent for his friend, a doctor. His thought was to use her in a spiteful revenge but slowly as she recovers Ross realizes that she is not the woman he thought she was and begins having feelings for her. ( )
  Kathy89 | May 11, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book. At times couldn't put it down! I was happy my predictions came true. I liked how Grant battled with himself every now and then not wanting to fall for Vivien, and I liked how Vivien trusted Grant right from the beginning. I am looking forward to the other books in the series. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
To my mother, who made this book possible by taking care of my son Griffin every day while I wrote.
This labor of love included making at least two hundred peanut butter sandwiches cut into squares, changing approximately four hundred diapers, and watching untold hours of “Thomas the Tank Engine.”
Thank you, Mimi, from Griffin and me.
From the moment Grant Morgan saw the woman, he knew that—despite her beauty—she would never be any man’s bride.

She couldn't remember who she was...

A temptingly beautiful woman awakens in a stranger's bed, rescued from the icy waters of the Thames, her memory gone. Told that she is Vivien Rose Duvall, one of London's most scandalous beauties, she finds herself under the protection of enigmatic, charming Grant Morgan. Her life is in his hands. Deep in her heart, she knows he has mistaken her for someone else...

He was the only man she could trust.

As one of London's most eligible, and unattainable catches, Grant Morgan is a man who has known every kind of woman. And the one in his arms now seems so innocent, so vulnerable, that he can't help but be enchanted. And as his love for this mysterious beauty grows, he's determined to unravel the secrets of her past and discover the truth--no matter what.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380802309, Mass Market Paperback)

Grant Morgan is one of London's most eligible and unattainable bachelors. He's also a powerful member of the Bow Street Runners, and when he's called to the waterfront late one night to investigate a drowning victim, Grant is stunned to recognize the face of Vivien Rose Duvall, a well-known woman of the night. He's even more startled when he realizes that she's alive. With no one to care for her, Grant carries Vivien to his home and revives her, only to learn that she is suffering from amnesia.

Vivien hesitantly accepts her handsome rescuer's claim that she is his mistress, despite her misgivings about her true identity. Nevertheless, she can't deny the marks on her throat that prove her near-drowning in the Thames was not an accident, and now she must trust the man who claims her as his paramour, for her life is in danger. As Grant searches for Vivien's attacker, the two find themselves falling in love, all the while struggling to stay one step ahead of the evil forces that will stop at nothing to see Vivien dead.

Kleypas's characters are not your run-of-the-mill Regency fare--Grant lacks a noble lineage while Vivien's "membership" in the demimonde is unusual to say the least--which makes them even more fascinating and thoroughly absorbing. Toss in a puzzling mystery to solve and an intriguing look inside the workings of the famous Bow Street Runners, and you've got a novel well worth reading. No wonder Lisa Kleypas's books are consistent bestsellers--you won't be able to put this one down.--Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:35 -0400)

Rescued from the icy waters of the Thames by the enigmatic Grant Morgan, one of London's most unattainable bachelors, a lovely amnesiac--who is told that she is the notorious Vivien Rose Duvall--finds herself under Grant's protection as he sets out to unravel her past and discover the truth.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,503,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible