Brief History of Time by Steven Hawkins

Brief History of Time (1988)

by Steven Hawkins

Member:Mtunzini
Title:Brief History of Time
Authors:Steven Hawkins
Info:Not Avail (date?), Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:Biography, Reference, Science

A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes by Stephen Hawking (1988)

Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays by Stephen W. Hawking (gandalf_grey)
    Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard P. Feynman (OccamsHammer)
    The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Although it's longer, Brian Greene's book is much more easily digestible. Plus, he gives you an idea of what they're hoping to discover at the Large Hadron Collider.
    Knowledge and Wonder by Victor F. Weisskopf (erik_galicki)
    erik_galicki: I think Weisskopf strikes a better balance between big picture and detail. Hawking provides more detail on particle physics and cosmology, but I think Weisskopf makes the connections between the two more apparent and clearer.
    From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean Carroll (steve.clason)
    Chaos and Harmony: Perspectives on Scientific Revolutions of the 20th Century by Xuan Thuan Trinh (Louve_de_mer)
    The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality by Dalai Lama XIV (leahsimone)

English (102)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (113)
I'll have to read this many more times in order to fully understand it, but the first read through was still great. ( )
  babydogfish | Jan 29, 2016 |
Amazing that this book even exists -- much less shines! I suppose I can admit to not understanding everything in it completely, but what I did understand I found fascinating. Hawking has a voice! ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I have had more fun reading this book than I've had in quite a while with a nonfiction book. It's interesting, of course, and at times Stephen Hawkings shows a dry wit. But, to be honest, sometimes I chuckled just because I do that with any sort of this type of material and this sort of theory.

The brief history is basically a twofold history; it gives some history of the views of time and space beginning with Aristotle (most likely anyone with atheist view on this prior to Aristotle's writings or works have long since been destroyed or rotted away, as I highly doubt no one ever thought along these lines prior to Aristotle, and it would be interesting to read if only we could), but primarily with modern physics. The second history is on the theoretical histories of the universe. I would love to find a similar book that is new, as no doubt some of this is already outdated. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
A very thought provoking read.

I'd love to say I understood everything in this book, but having never taken a physics coarse, there were some things that were difficult for me to understand. However, I think Hawking does a good job of simplifying the information and giving real-world examples that make the concepts easier to digest. His various jokes and light hearted tone also made the book entertaining.

I enjoyed this book and think it is an important resource to bring theory to laypeople in order to gain knowledge of the universe and how we as humans have come to understand it. ( )
  CareBear36 | Jan 16, 2016 |
Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote the modern classic A Brief History of Time to help non-scientists understand the questions being asked by scientists today: Where did the universe come from? How and why did it begin? Will it come to an end, and if so, how? Hawking attempts to reveal these questions (and where we're looking for answers) using a minimum of technical jargon. Among the topics gracefully covered are gravity, black holes, the Big Bang, the nature of time, and physicists' search for a grand unifying theory. This is deep science; these concepts are so vast (or so tiny) as to cause vertigo while reading, and one can't help but marvel at Hawking's ability to synthesize this difficult subject for people not used to thinking about things like alternate dimensions. The journey is certainly worth taking, for, as Hawking says, "the reward of understanding the universe may be a glimpse of "the mind of God."
  paamember | Jan 13, 2016 |
Through his cerebral journeys, Mr. Hawking is bravely taking some of the first, though tentative, steps toward quantizing the early universe, and he offers us a provocative glimpse of the work in progress.

Hawking, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kober, HainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kreitmeyer, JensCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sagan, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varteva, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Croatian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
This book is dedicated to Jane (verso of title page)
A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy.
What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise. What is the tortoise standing on? You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down! (Quoted on page 1)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553380168, Paperback)

Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote the modern classic A Brief History of Time to help nonscientists understand the questions being asked by scientists today: Where did the universe come from? How and why did it begin? Will it come to an end, and if so, how? Hawking attempts to reveal these questions (and where we're looking for answers) using a minimum of technical jargon. Among the topics gracefully covered are gravity, black holes, the Big Bang, the nature of time, and physicists' search for a grand unifying theory. This is deep science; these concepts are so vast (or so tiny) as to cause vertigo while reading, and one can't help but marvel at Hawking's ability to synthesize this difficult subject for people not used to thinking about things like alternate dimensions. The journey is certainly worth taking, for, as Hawking says, the reward of understanding the universe may be a glimpse of "the mind of God." --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

"In the ten years since its publication in 1988, Stephen Hawking's classic work has become a landmark volume in scientific writing, with more than nine million copies in forty languages sold worldwide. That edition was on the cutting edge of what was then known about the origins and nature of the universe. But the intervening years have seen extraordinary advances in the technology of observing both the micro- and the macrocosmic worlds. These observations have confirmed many of Professor Hawking's theoretical predictions in the first edition of his book, including the recent discoveries of the Cosmic Background Explorer satellite (COBE), which probed back in time to within 300,000 years of the universe's beginning and revealed wrinkles in the fabric of space-time that he had projected." "Eager to bring to his original text the new knowledge revealed by these observations, as well as his own recent research, Professor Hawking has prepared a new introduction to the book, written an entirely new chapter on wormholes and time travel, and updated the chapters throughout."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,019,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible