Eine kurze Geschichte der Zeit by Stephen…

Eine kurze Geschichte der Zeit (original 2007; edition 1998)

by Stephen Hawking, Hainer Kober (Übersetzer)

Title:Eine kurze Geschichte der Zeit
Authors:Stephen Hawking
Other authors:Hainer Kober (Übersetzer)
Info:rororo (1998), Edition: 29, Taschenbuch, 272 pages

A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes by Stephen Hawking (2007)

Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays by Stephen W. Hawking (gandalf_grey)
    Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard P. Feynman (OccamsHammer)
    The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Although it's longer, Brian Greene's book is much more easily digestible. Plus, he gives you an idea of what they're hoping to discover at the Large Hadron Collider.
    Knowledge and Wonder by Victor F. Weisskopf (erik_galicki)
    erik_galicki: I think Weisskopf strikes a better balance between big picture and detail. Hawking provides more detail on particle physics and cosmology, but I think Weisskopf makes the connections between the two more apparent and clearer.
    From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean Carroll (steve.clason)
    Chaos and Harmony: Perspectives on Scientific Revolutions of the 20th Century by Xuan Thuan Trinh (Louve_de_mer)
    The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality by Dalai Lama XIV (leahsimone)

English (115)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (128)
Un libro que aborda la teoría del tejido espacio tiempo con un lenguaje y una narrativa apta para principiantes. Escrito con un evidente sentido del humor, Hawking deja en este libro un manifiesto de los principales aportes de las más grandes mentes científicas sobre física y astronomía sin dejar de lado el entorno en el que se dieron estos pasos para la humanidad que al mismo tiempo se enfrentaban a la naturaleza humana de persistir en creencias preestablecidas. ( )
  Pedro3D | Oct 9, 2016 |
I liked this book a lot. I was listening to audio version to my surprise it was said to be for kids. For kids? That book is for everyone. It starts with very easy to grasp concepts but then it progresses to some esoteric ideas. And at the end it plunges down to some mundane topics. Describing history of Einstein and Newton and Galileo. I liked the way it easily explained all of the phenomena it discusses. Some of the examples are so great. Like the example of the order and disorder in our universe. That is entropy. At one point Stephen Hawking shows us how memorizing his book would affect universe and energy we consume. To sum up my reading experience the thing that makes this book so unique is that it touches bases with many fields of science from cosmology, physics to philosophy and theology. That is exactly what makes an interesting person interesting knowledge of a broad topics. The plot of this book bends stretches and shapes the reader. Highly enjoyed this work. ( )
  Anatoly1988 | Sep 27, 2016 |
This book has been hanging out on my bedside table for a couple of years, I think. I always think that I should do some science reading, on the principle of being a well-informed citizen; but somehow novels and history manage to have a stronger call to my reading time. It was written in 1988, so not completely up-to-date; but I found this book interesting and readable. Although, I have to admit, parts were over my head, I do like physics, though, and now I feel a bit motivated to read up on some more modern books.

Hawking has a nice way of not only explaining theories of time, but also illustrating why one might care about these theories. In the end he talks about how these theories are confusing for most people, but speculates that if a unified theory is developed, it will make it possible for the general population to understand.

"Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people, be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason---for then we would know the mind of God."

These leaves the question, which Hawking does not really address, of whether we really need a unified theory. But it does illustrate why people like Hawking and Einstein really WANT a unified theory. ( )
1 vote banjo123 | Aug 13, 2016 |
When Stephen W. Hawking first published A Brief History of Time in 1988, the landscape of scientific literature for the common reader was practically inexistent. With its publication, the work sought to abridge the gap between English and inaccessible, convoluted “scientific” language -- a gap that is now shortening with the birth of popular science as a literary genre. Not unlike the demi-god Prometheus who brought fire to man, Hawking presents the greatness of the scientific universe to the lay public in a concise, informative manner. Yet, as Hawking’s lucid presentation of quantum physics and its potential futures has become the shining literary model of popular science, it has admittedly given rise to scientific literature that surpasses its own accessibility and level of structure. ( )
1 vote biblio-empire | Aug 10, 2016 |
Too much of an autobiography, physics glossed over far too much. Very self-centred. ( )
  Alasdair.Shaw | Jul 19, 2016 |
Through his cerebral journeys, Mr. Hawking is bravely taking some of the first, though tentative, steps toward quantizing the early universe, and he offers us a provocative glimpse of the work in progress.

Hawking, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kober, HainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kreitmeyer, JensCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sagan, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, BerndConsultant (German Translation)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varteva, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sette geni della fisica, sei uomini e una donna. Socievoli e introversi, libertini e castigati, giramondo e sedentari, animati da passioni comuni: l'alpinismo, la musica e la letteratura. Una comunità giovane, piccola e perfetta, che, come ogni anno, nel 1932 si riunisce all'Istituto di fisica teorica di Copenaghen. Sono i maggiori scienziati del Novecento, i titani della fisica teorica che hanno dato vita e forma alla rivoluzione quantistica. Quell'anno in Europa si celebra il centesimo anniversario della morte di Goethe. Niels Bohr, Paul Dirac, Paul Ehrenfest, Lise Meitner, Werner Heisenberg, Wolfgang Pauli e Max Delbrück omaggiano l'ultimo genio universale mettendo in scena il Faust. Personaggi: Bohr-il Signore, Pauli-Mefistofele, il tormentato Ehrenfest-Faust, il neutrino-Margherita. Per la piccola brigata il 1932 è l'anno del miracolo. Questi giovani hanno scoperto, in rapida successione, il neutrone e il positrone e, per la prima volta in laboratorio, hanno indotto la disintegrazione del nucleo atomico, aprendo le porte all'era nucleare. Ma qualcosa di terribile si prepara per il mondo intero: quello è anche l'anno che prelude all'ascesa di Hitler, al cammino verso la guerra. Gli scienziati saranno costretti a essere complici della macchina bellica e a subire condizionamenti politici e militari.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553380168, Paperback)

Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote the modern classic A Brief History of Time to help nonscientists understand the questions being asked by scientists today: Where did the universe come from? How and why did it begin? Will it come to an end, and if so, how? Hawking attempts to reveal these questions (and where we're looking for answers) using a minimum of technical jargon. Among the topics gracefully covered are gravity, black holes, the Big Bang, the nature of time, and physicists' search for a grand unifying theory. This is deep science; these concepts are so vast (or so tiny) as to cause vertigo while reading, and one can't help but marvel at Hawking's ability to synthesize this difficult subject for people not used to thinking about things like alternate dimensions. The journey is certainly worth taking, for, as Hawking says, the reward of understanding the universe may be a glimpse of "the mind of God." --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

"In the ten years since its publication in 1988, Stephen Hawking's classic work has become a landmark volume in scientific writing, with more than nine million copies in forty languages sold worldwide. That edition was on the cutting edge of what was then known about the origins and nature of the universe. But the intervening years have seen extraordinary advances in the technology of observing both the micro- and the macrocosmic worlds. These observations have confirmed many of Professor Hawking's theoretical predictions in the first edition of his book, including the recent discoveries of the Cosmic Background Explorer satellite (COBE), which probed back in time to within 300,000 years of the universe's beginning and revealed wrinkles in the fabric of space-time that he had projected." "Eager to bring to his original text the new knowledge revealed by these observations, as well as his own recent research, Professor Hawking has prepared a new introduction to the book, written an entirely new chapter on wormholes and time travel, and updated the chapters throughout."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible