Parky: My Autobiography by Michael Parkinson

Parky: My Autobiography

by Michael Parkinson

I loved the Parkinson TV show growing up. His guests were usually funny and the interviews were entertaining. I enjoyed the book a bit slow in parts but live isn;t always fast paced. He seemed to go from one thing to another with little planning. If you enjoyed the show you'll enjoy the book. I didn't realise he spent so much time in Australia. ( )
  Neale | Feb 2, 2012 |
An interesting insight into the professional life of Michael Parkinson, focussing on the influences of cricket, media and celebrities, and what made him the man he is today. A typical autobiography with some personal family emotional insights. A fairly short read, easy language, and lots of photos. Not amazing, but does what it says on the tin - if you admire or respect the man, it's worth a read. ( )
  AAndrea | Jan 9, 2009 |

Michael Parkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Törngren, ErlandTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book celebrates the memory of my parents, the love of Mary, the blessing of our sons Andrew, Nicholas and Michael and the joy of our grandchildren, Emma, Georgina and Ben; Laura and James; Honey, Felix and Sophia.
Every morning, when I woke, I could see the pit from my bedroom window.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034096166X, Hardcover)

From prize-winning journalist to chat show king on a show voted one of the top 10 British TV programs of all time, Michael Parkinson's starry career spans over four decades. Now an international celebrity himself, the man from a humble but colorful Yorkshire mining family who can tease out the secrets of even the most reticent star guest, at last reveals his own story, with the easy manner and insight that has kept his audiences fascinated. His distinguished career has involved working on highly acclaimed current affairs and film programs. His wide interests and expertise include jazz, film, soccer, and cricket. Witty, humorous, and blessed with exceptional intellectual clarity, Michael Parkinson's memoir is a joy to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:51 -0400)

"Michael Parkinson was born in a pit village in Yorkshire where he lived on the back row of the local cinema and dreamed of marrying Lauren Bacall, Vera Hruba Ralston and Veronica Lake, or anyone else who would have him." "Pretending to be Humphrey Bogart, he became a journalist and a familial sight around Barnsley and district, riding his bike while wearing a military style raincoat, snap-brimmed trilby with elastic chinstrap and green cycle clips. Thus disguised, he bluffed his way on to the Manchester Guardian, and later the Daily Express in Eleet Street before being found out and sent back to Manchester, when he worked for Granada Television. He eventually ended up at the BBC with a talk show that ran for many years and made him an instantly recognisable face, mainly among people who thought he was Michael Aspel." "Parkinson's memoir is an inspiring story, particularly for anyone who hated school and left with two O levels, because it proves that dreams do come true."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible