The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is…

The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is Authentic Faith? (original 1988; edition 2008)

by John F. MacArthur (Author)

The first edition of The Gospel According to Jesus won wide acclaim in confronting the "easy-believism" that has characterized some aspects of evangelical Christianity. Over the past 50 years, a handful of books have become true classics, revered world-wide for their crystal-clear presentation of the Gospel and lauded for their contribution to the Christian faith. These extraordinary books are read, re-read, and discussed in churches, Bible study groups, and homes everywhere. John MacArthur's The Gospel According to Jesus is one of those books. In The Gospel According to Jesus, MacArthur tackles the idea of "easy believism," challenging Christians to re-evaluate their commitment to Christ by examining their fruits. MacArthur asks, "What does it really mean to be saved?" He urges readers to understand that their conversion was more than a mere point in time, that, by definition, it includes a lifetime of obediently walking with Jesus as Lord. This 20th anniversary edition of MacArthur's provocative, Scripture-based book contains one new chapterand is further revised to provide Christians in the 21st century a fresh perspective on the intrinsic relationship between faith and works, clearly revealing Why Jesus is both Savior and Lord to all who believe.… (more)
Member:jecesarz
Title:The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is Authentic Faith?
Authors:John F. MacArthur (Author)
Info:Zondervan (2008), Edition: Revised, Expanded, Anniversary ed., 304 pages

The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is Authentic Faith? by John MacArthur (1988)

After three chapters, I sense a disconnect in MacArthur's understanding of justification and sanctification. I also sense a double standard in his hermeneutic of the gospel account. Certainly he is right to fight against a false gospel of easy believism, but the pendulum swing, at least so far has been too dramatic.

The next thing I have noticed is that at times he seems to buy completely into the Calvinist understanding of God's sovereign election. But at others he appears to embrace a prevenient grace—a two part salvation of God's work in our heart but then our choosing to surrender.

Finally, I see a tendency to speculate too much about biblical character's emotion, past lives, motivation, and other characteristics in the biblical text. That and each chapter's opening salvo against easy believism that is often over-generalization and lumping all who don't follow his view together. I am struggling to finish as the chapters are all starting to sound the same: 1) Here's what's wrong with the church. 2) God is the one who saves. 3) Here's a story that proves my point that we have to surrender.

I'll persevere, I think.

The book hardly deviates from his point mentioned above. He inserts an interesting footnote on the next to the last page without comment that seems to counter much of his argument: "But the Lordship of Christ as a prerequisite for salvation places emphasis on works rather than grace. God does not need anything from man. His salvation is an unconditional gift. Man's role can be no more than that of a recipient who believes the gift to be a sufficient payment for his sins."

To say that a person must understand need and know that need is paid for, is a great awakening by the Holy Spirit: irresistible grace as Calvinists would say. This little book, if nothing else, is a commercial for that if nothing else. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

I'll persevere, I think.

memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
John MacArthur has accomplished a superb work in this book. Known for his activism against "easy-believism" and superficial Christianity, MacArthur has written a marvelous little book detailing the ACTUAL gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel has become so utterly watered down today it is no wonder the church has become weakened in its effectiveness. MacArthur challenges believers to read the truth about The Truth and to become more than just a comfortable group of "pew-warmers" on Sunday mornings. MacArthur reminds us God did not call us to be His "cheerleaders." Rather, than this He has called us to be Salt and Light in a fallen, darkened world. ( )
  exinanition | Jul 26, 2013 |
Excellent work. Either Jesus Christ is the Lord of your life or you're not a Christian. ( )
  bholschen | Dec 5, 2012 |
Faith is not complete unless it is obedient
  kijabi1 | Jan 2, 2012 |
The newest anniversary edition has an entire new chapter.

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,481,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible