The Return of Depression Economics and the…

The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008 (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Paul Krugman

Member:pajarita
Title:The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008
Authors:Paul Krugman
Info:W. W. Norton (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read but unowned

The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008 by Paul Krugman (2008)

I have a degree in political science, but the economics classes I had to take were always the hardest part for me. I wish books like this had been used more in those classes! Krugman does a brilliant job of setting his ideas out in a very understandable manner. This book is, shockingly, a quick and interesting read - not nearly as dry as many of my economics texts.

My only complaint is that there isn't more on the 2008 crisis, as I assumed there would be from the title. Other than that, a very interesting and informative book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |

Anniik | Sep 18, 2013 |
Succinct and readable explanation from a respected economist of what caused recessions/depressions/crashes in various nations since the 1980's with a view to explaining what happened in the US economy in 2007-08. ( )
  LibraryGoddesses | May 9, 2011 |
A short, but detailed explanation of monetary policy, the role of banks and bank like structures in our economy, how hedge funds can affect the economy and the state of affairs we are in right now.

The title is appropriate as his thesis is that the economy has changed to reflect the current situation we are in and the book ends with a description of what our government is doing and why it is doing it from a policy standpoint. As Krugman is a Keynsian economist he is supportive of the strategy and in fact believes the government should play an even bigger role in the economic recovery. ( )
  aaf7 | Aug 14, 2010 |
makes the point: what he means by "depression era economics" is we've had enough of the supply-side, it's back to the demand side. the market needs to produce what we need, not only what it wants to deliver. ( )
  applemcg | Aug 2, 2010 |
This is a substantially revised and updated version of "The Return of Depression Economics". Do not combine the two.

In 1999, in The Return of Depression Economics, Paul Krugman surveyed the economic crises that had swept across Asia and Latin America, and pointed out that those crises were a warning for all of us: like diseases that have become resistant to antibiotics, the economic maladies that caused the Great Depression were making a comeback. In the years that followed, as Wall Street boomed and financial wheeler-dealers made vast profits, the international crises of the 1990s faded from memory. But now depression economics has come to America: when the great housing bubble of the mid-2000s burst, the U.S. financial system proved as vulnerable as those of developing countries caught up in earlier crises and a replay of the 1930s seems all too possible.

In this new, greatly updated edition of The Return of Depression Economics, Krugman shows how the failure of regulation to keep pace with an increasingly out-of-control financial system set the United States, and the world as a whole, up for the greatest financial crisis since the 1930s. He also lays out the steps that must be taken to contain the crisis, and turn around a world economy sliding into a deep recession. Brilliantly crafted in Krugman's trademark style--lucid, lively, and supremely informed--this new edition of The Return of Depression Economics will become an instant cornerstone of the debate over how to respond to the crisis.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:04 -0400)

Our newest Nobel Prize-winning economist shows how today's crisis parallels the events that caused the Great Depression and explains what it will take to avoid catastrophe.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393071014, 0393337804

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible