Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl (edition 2002)

by Eoin Colfer

Member:MissMac
Title:Artemis Fowl
Authors:Eoin Colfer
Info:Puffin Books (2002), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 304 pages

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (atimco, Morteana)
    atimco: Both feature a slightly ruthless child hero attempting to harness magical beings for his own nefarious ends. Funny and inventive!
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (westher)
    westher: Als je een fan van Holly Short bent is Thursday Next een topper!
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (missmaddie)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (foggidawn)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: fans of Fowl's integration of a "real world" with a fairy world will appreciate Dust City's setting
    Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates by Sean Cullen (tardis)
    tardis: The Hamish X books are absurd and funny and like the Artemis Fowl books (also funny) they feature capable young protagonists with dangerous adversaries.
    The Teenage Years by Jamie Thomson (aliklein)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jesh1721)

English (325)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  All (336)
This is a great read. I love the way Eoin (pr. 'Owen') Colfer populates this wonderful world with complex characters and complicated motivations. It's very clever but also engages the reader's emotions. A brilliant, fully-formed world which - like all the best fantasy - explains a lot about our own world. More! More! (ok, there's another seven for me to get started on - hooray!) Artemis is a genius, and the depth of his evilness is a moot. I confess, I kept seeing him looking like a junior Assange, but maybe it's the pale cover of the edition I have. Is he criminal? Is he good? It depends!
  ClareRhoden | Nov 4, 2017 |
If I were a 12 year old kid, I would probably give this more stars. I don't think it crosses over well as an adult book. ( )
  Janellreads | Oct 18, 2017 |
Artemis Fowl: Artemis Fowl, Book 1
By Eoin Colfer
Narrated By Nathaniel Parker
I borrowed this book from the library. I figured everyone in the world has read this but me and thought I would catch up. What a hoot! Loved it! I don't know what I thought it was going to be but I didn't expect a 12 year old genius villain! My goodness, I thought it was great! The fairies, dwarves, trolls, and the silly things that happen, I giggled so much. It was so silly I can see why kids love this book. I am definitely going to read more. If my grandkids haven't read these I am going to tell them about it. Funny!!! The narrator was wonderful with all the variety of voices from the fairy girls to dwarves. Each different and interesting, wonderful job! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Aug 12, 2017 |
12-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius - and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Colfer, E. (2009). Artemis Fowl. New York, NY: Disney-Hyperion.

This book is the first one in a series about a clever mastermind named Artemis Fowl who successfully captures a fairy in order to steal her magical book.

This book was a lot of fun. Artemis is an interesting, unique character. An anti-hero as the main character who you can't help rooting for even while you hope the fairy, Captain Holly, defeats him in the end. The story and world are set up well with the details and science-fiction and fantasy elements. The side characters of Butler and Juliet are interesting but not as developed as they could be, but hopefully in later series they will return.

Holly is an excellent character, making mistakes, but embodying a strong female character as she strives to outwit Artemis and escape from his mansion.

The plot is interesting and has many twists and surprises, ending with a satisfying conclusion. This could be a standalone book if not for the fact there are already more in the series.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy or light science fiction books or enjoys the Percy Jackson series. ( )
  KellyHedine | Jul 31, 2017 |
The truth is, fairies in their essence are said to possess glamour, a word that originally meant something like charm -- the ability to bewitch. Hardware may intrigue, caustic belligerence may be sexy to a contemporary 12-year-old, but neither ingredient bewitches. Despite a brave and promising premise, ''Artemis Fowl'' is charmless.

Characterizations and dialogue enhance a rollicking tale that will have readers rolling on the floor and eagerly anticipating the planned sequel
added by khuggard | editBooklist

Fun to read, full of action and humor, this is recommended for all public libraries and to readers of all ages
added by khuggard | editLibrary Journal

The combination of choppy sentences and ornate language will appeal to some readers, although not necessarily to Harry Potter fans; the emphasis here is more on action (some of it gory), technology, and deadpan humor than on magic, and only one character (Artemis) is a child.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Despite numerous clever gadgets and an innovative take on traditional fairy lore, the author falls short of the bar.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ménard, Jean-Françoissecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alcaina, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
[Dim]
For Jackie
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? (Prologue)
Ho Chi Minh City in the summer.

Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.
An evil genius
kidnaps a fairy captain
to hold her ransom.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786817879, Mass Market Paperback)

At last, one of the most talked-about novels of last year is now available in an accessible mass-market edition. Twelve-year-old Artemis is a millionaire, a genius-and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories-they're dangerous!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:17 -0400)

When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141312122, 0141329726, 014133939X, 0141339098

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible