Artemis Fowl: Roman by Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl: Roman (edition 2001)

by Eoin Colfer, Claudia Feldmann

Collections:Your library, Gelesen und meins
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Felix, 2012, Jugendbuch

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both feature a slightly ruthless child hero attempting to harness magical beings for his own nefarious ends. Funny and inventive!
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (westher)
    westher: Als je een fan van Holly Short bent is Thursday Next een topper!
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (foggidawn)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: fans of Fowl's integration of a "real world" with a fairy world will appreciate Dust City's setting
    Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates of the Arctic by Sean Cullen (tardis)
    tardis: The Hamish X books are absurd and funny and like the Artemis Fowl books (also funny) they feature capable young protagonists with dangerous adversaries.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (missmaddie)
    The Teenage Years by Jamie Thomson (aliklein)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jesh1721)

English (290)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (300)
This book would be good to use when talking about how you are never to young to do something if you set your mind to it. I think students would like this book because of the magical characters and the amazing feats done by the main character. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 4, 2015 |
See review here
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Well-done fun - but not my style so I won't be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I am not sure why it took me so long to read this book. Admittedly, I had received books 3-7 for review through Netgalley when I first discovered the site, and decided I needed to read the first two books before I could review the later, and so I put them off. And now, about a year later, I am finally getting around to it. I feel ashamed to say that it took me this long but I have to be honest about it.

This story is unique in that, in my opinion, the main character appears both as protagonist and antagonist. I am not really sure how to explain that without giving too much away.
The world building is just unique enough to stand out, and the play on the fairy concepts is different than a lot of others out there.

With the main character being 12 years old, the story would be classed as a middle grade read. However, some of the topics in the book are a little mature, so you might want to make sure you are reading and discussing with younger middle-grade readers. My 9 year old enjoyed the story and it opened up a lot of interesting discussions around my house. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
The truth is, fairies in their essence are said to possess glamour, a word that originally meant something like charm -- the ability to bewitch. Hardware may intrigue, caustic belligerence may be sexy to a contemporary 12-year-old, but neither ingredient bewitches. Despite a brave and promising premise, ''Artemis Fowl'' is charmless.

Characterizations and dialogue enhance a rollicking tale that will have readers rolling on the floor and eagerly anticipating the planned sequel
added by khuggard | editBooklist

Fun to read, full of action and humor, this is recommended for all public libraries and to readers of all ages
added by khuggard | editLibrary Journal

The combination of choppy sentences and ornate language will appeal to some readers, although not necessarily to Harry Potter fans; the emphasis here is more on action (some of it gory), technology, and deadpan humor than on magic, and only one character (Artemis) is a child.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Despite numerous clever gadgets and an innovative take on traditional fairy lore, the author falls short of the bar.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alcaina, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jackie
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? (Prologue)
Ho Chi Minh City in the summer.
Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786817879, Mass Market Paperback)

At last, one of the most talked-about novels of last year is now available in an accessible mass-market edition. Twelve-year-old Artemis is a millionaire, a genius-and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories-they're dangerous!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:14 -0400)

When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141312122, 0141322969, 0141329726, 014133939X, 0141339098

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible