Artemis Fowl: Roman by Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl: Roman (edition 2001)

by Eoin Colfer, Claudia Feldmann

Collections:Your library, Gelesen und meins
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Felix, 2012, Jugendbuch

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both feature a slightly ruthless child hero attempting to harness magical beings for his own nefarious ends. Funny and inventive!
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (westher)
    westher: Als je een fan van Holly Short bent is Thursday Next een topper!
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (missmaddie)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (foggidawn)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: fans of Fowl's integration of a "real world" with a fairy world will appreciate Dust City's setting
    Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates of the Arctic by Sean Cullen (tardis)
    tardis: The Hamish X books are absurd and funny and like the Artemis Fowl books (also funny) they feature capable young protagonists with dangerous adversaries.
    The Teenage Years by Jamie Thomson (aliklein)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jesh1721)

English (292)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (302)
Very smart book for kids with a nice anti hero twist.

Artemis is a shit of kid. Rich, smug, entitled, genius level IQ and a serious desire to take over the world. He is a young Lex Luthor with ten times the smarts and possibly also the ruthlessness. When he one day catches a fairy he discovers a whole new world of magic, violence, special forces units and danger all of which might help or hinder his plans for world domination.

This book in no way shape or form talks down to kids rather it demands they raise themselves to its level by treating the main protagonist with such seriousness and skill that you end up cheering for the little turd. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book. I liked the badass fairies, and genius evil mastermind, 12-year old Artemis Fowl. I will probably be continuing this series. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
First of all, I would like to start this review by stating that although this book is destined to children maybe half my age, I really do not care. I enjoyed this book so much. I'm sure even more than the audience that it was directed to. The same has happened to me throughout different series, such as the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series, the Harry Potter series and the Vladimir Todd series, and you know what? I don't care.

Artemis Fowl is a mastermind. He will take over the world some day. Artemis Fowl is a person you don't want to mess with. What's the best part? He's only 12 years old. To that I say: "Artemis Fowl, I have a new name for you, and that name is Sheldon Cooper"*. Artemis Fowl was such a great book to read, when I wanted to get away from the "serious" and "emotional" stories. It was nice to read a book for fun, and to know that you'd be entertained.

Here's a quote from the book that I'm pretty sure corroborates my initial idea that I believe that Artemis is a 12 year old, irish, evil mastermind Sheldon Cooper.

"I thought speaking in primal terms would be the quickest route to your cognitive functions. Obviously I was mistaken"

You see what I mean?

Anyways, I enjoyed the way every single character was important to the story. I also enjoyed how the story took many interesting twists and turns. If you're young at heart or you just want to read a simple yet entertaining story, you should definitely read this book.

*If you don't know who Sheldon Cooper is... shame on you. You must immediately watch at least the first season of The Big Bang Theory . ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
This book would be good to use when talking about how you are never to young to do something if you set your mind to it. I think students would like this book because of the magical characters and the amazing feats done by the main character. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 4, 2015 |
See review here
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
The truth is, fairies in their essence are said to possess glamour, a word that originally meant something like charm -- the ability to bewitch. Hardware may intrigue, caustic belligerence may be sexy to a contemporary 12-year-old, but neither ingredient bewitches. Despite a brave and promising premise, ''Artemis Fowl'' is charmless.

Characterizations and dialogue enhance a rollicking tale that will have readers rolling on the floor and eagerly anticipating the planned sequel
added by khuggard | editBooklist

Fun to read, full of action and humor, this is recommended for all public libraries and to readers of all ages
added by khuggard | editLibrary Journal

The combination of choppy sentences and ornate language will appeal to some readers, although not necessarily to Harry Potter fans; the emphasis here is more on action (some of it gory), technology, and deadpan humor than on magic, and only one character (Artemis) is a child.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Despite numerous clever gadgets and an innovative take on traditional fairy lore, the author falls short of the bar.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alcaina, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jackie
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? (Prologue)
Ho Chi Minh City in the summer.
Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.
An evil genius
kidnaps a fairy captain
to hold her ransom. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786817879, Mass Market Paperback)

At last, one of the most talked-about novels of last year is now available in an accessible mass-market edition. Twelve-year-old Artemis is a millionaire, a genius-and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories-they're dangerous!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:17 -0400)

When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141312122, 0141322969, 0141329726, 014133939X, 0141339098

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible