Artemis Fowl 01: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl 01: Artemis Fowl (edition 2011)

by Eoin Colfer

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fairies, Children, Humour, In English

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (wisewoman, Morteana)
    wisewoman: Both feature a slightly ruthless child hero attempting to harness magical beings for his own nefarious ends. Funny and inventive!
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (westher)
    westher: Als je een fan van Holly Short bent is Thursday Next een topper!
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (missmaddie)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (foggidawn)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: fans of Fowl's integration of a "real world" with a fairy world will appreciate Dust City's setting
    Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates by Sean Cullen (tardis)
    tardis: The Hamish X books are absurd and funny and like the Artemis Fowl books (also funny) they feature capable young protagonists with dangerous adversaries.
    The Teenage Years by Jamie Thomson (aliklein)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jesh1721)

English (321)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  All (332)
It was a little splotchy at times, running around between places and times. I wasn't sure of all the fairy technology, and it would have been nice to have a reference list to all the rules as Artemis was encountering them. Artemis is almost a little too intelligent/evil/diabolical/crazy to be a believable narrator. I really enjoyed the butlers, Butler and Juliet, and Angeline was an interesting case. The ending was spectacular and truly revealed that Artemis Fowl the Second was, at the very core, a 12-year-old boy. ( )
  kamikaze2011 | May 2, 2017 |
Interesting tale. I like that the protagonist could easily be an antagonist. I seek those characters with a lot of depth, and there is much that could be done with the character of Artemis.

However, this first book starts slow and has juvenile elements, which is to be expected given the target audience. The other negative for me is more a matter of preference in that I don't care for continuing details about war, weaponry, tactics, etc., nor do I care for fairies as supporting/main characters; not sure why, I just don't care for that genre. Given my preferences, that should say something for this story and the writing style of the author, as I did stick with this book, albeit I almost put it down about half-way through; I kept hoping for more Artemis, but Colfer does not place Artemis front and center in this first story.

I'm going to give the second book a go and make a decision whether or not to continue the series at that time. My hope is the author runs with the criminal mind of Artemis in subsequent stories, as he could do so much with that trait of Artemis and go really dark with his character - something along the lines of Montmorency (Eleanor Updale) in terms of the criminal mind, really work that aspect of the story. ( )
  Cathy_Lynn | Apr 6, 2017 |
I loved this book a lot when I was a kid. I wanted to marry Artemis Fowl and it probably wouldn't be wrong to say that this book in some way contributed to my decision to live in Ireland for half a year, hoping that somehow I'd run into the Artemis Fowl archetype somewhere. I saw a battered copy in the book swap locker at my school, so I picked it up knowing it wouldn't take me long to read. And man, going through it again its weird to see how much I absorbed from this book. There are still certain cadences to my speech and writing that undoubtedly mimic Colfer simply because I read this book over and over. It was a weird sensation, because there were things I'd half-forgotten, but in reading it again once I had the start of a sentence I knew the end of it too. And I remembered how I translated the code at the bottom, that's how into it I was, and I remember what an annoying shit I was what with identifying so much with Artemis, and I remember reading the third book once, lending it to a classmate, never seeing it again, and even into high school bitterly holding that against him even though I haven't seen him since Grade 8 graduation and have no idea of he's still hanging out on this earth at all.

I can't be objective enough about this book to even give it a star rating because of how intertwined it is with how my identity was formed. I think what surprised me most about my "grown-up" perspective, though, is just imagining what a tiny human twelve-year-old Artemis would be. He's got these designer suits and this, apparently, chilling and somewhat authoritative voice, but I have the hardest time picturing it all because I'm just like "no way man, you're an infant." Doesn't seem fair that he hasn't aged with me, somehow.
1 vote likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
This is a fun fantasy book filled with mystery. Its about a twelve year old genius and a child criminal from Dublin Ireland who searches for fairies and their gold. His father is missing from a plane crash and his mothers declining mental health have been a burden for the boy for a long time. He soon meets Holly the first girl on the Leprechaun police force. They work together to overthrow each others personal obstacles. I like this book because it was written at a very sophisticated level and had some dry humor to it. Its interesting and is a cliff-hanging series that could entice students to keep reading further. This is a book I would encourage my students to read for their assigned independent reading or book groups.
  siobhan.mcsweeney | Mar 13, 2017 |
(10/10) Its been a long time since I last read this and I had forgotten just how funny it is. Artemis Fowl is a 12 year old criminal mastermind who has an ingenious plan to part The People (fairies, elves, dwarves, goblins this book has them all) from their coveted gold. A kidnap, siege, troll assault and bio-bomb later and I find myself chuckling away at this brilliantly funny and fast paced fantasy.

This was always one of my go to books during the long wait between Harry Potter installments and it's nice to see that nearly 20 years later fairy flatulence still makes me giggle. As my library has the complete set I will also, at long last, be able to complete the series. A definite recommendation for young readers and immature adults alike! ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
The truth is, fairies in their essence are said to possess glamour, a word that originally meant something like charm -- the ability to bewitch. Hardware may intrigue, caustic belligerence may be sexy to a contemporary 12-year-old, but neither ingredient bewitches. Despite a brave and promising premise, ''Artemis Fowl'' is charmless.

Characterizations and dialogue enhance a rollicking tale that will have readers rolling on the floor and eagerly anticipating the planned sequel
added by khuggard | editBooklist

Fun to read, full of action and humor, this is recommended for all public libraries and to readers of all ages
added by khuggard | editLibrary Journal

The combination of choppy sentences and ornate language will appeal to some readers, although not necessarily to Harry Potter fans; the emphasis here is more on action (some of it gory), technology, and deadpan humor than on magic, and only one character (Artemis) is a child.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Despite numerous clever gadgets and an innovative take on traditional fairy lore, the author falls short of the bar.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ménard, Jean-Françoissecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alcaina, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Welsh Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
[Dim]
For Jackie
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? (Prologue)
Ho Chi Minh City in the summer.
Wie üblich war die Hauptröhre völlig überfüllt. Fliegende Feen verstopften den Durchgang wie Steine in einem Flaschenhals, und die Gnome, die mit ihren riesigen, schwingenden Hinterteilen zwei Fahrstreifen blockierten, machten das Ganze auch nicht besser. [Taschenbuch S. 35]
Seit die Menschenwesen begonnen hatten, mit Bohrungen nach Bodenschätzen herumzuexperimentieren, waren immer mehr Unterirdische aus ihren Burgen unterhalb der Erdoberfläche in die Tiefe und Sicherheit von Haven City geflüchtet. [Taschenbuch S. 37]
Die Oberirdischen zerstörten alles, was sie in die Finger bekamen. Und dann ihre Behausungen! Große, protzige Kästen mit Räumen für alles Mögliche - zum Schlafen, zum Essen und sogar ein Extraraum, um auf die Toilette zu gehen. Drinnen! Holly schüttelte sich. Was für eine ekelhafte Vorstellung. Das einzig Gute daran war doch gerade, dass die Mineralien der Erde zurückgegeben wurden, aber die Oberirdischen hatten es geschafft, selbst das zu verpfuschen, indem sie ihre "Abwässer" mit einer blauen, chemischen Flüssigkeit vermischten. Wenn ihr vor hundert Jahren jemand gesagt hätte, dass die Menschen eines Tages sogar aus dem Dünger die Nährstoffe herausziehen würden, hätte sie ihn für verrückt erklärt. [Taschenbuch S. 49]
Die Hafenarbeiter rollten sich Zigaretten. Was nicht einfach war mit Fingern, die so dick waren wie Eisenstangen, aber sie schafften es doch. Und was machte es schon, wenn ein paar braune Tabakkrümel auf das grobe Pflaster fielen? Man konnte das Zeug kistenweise bei einem kleinen Mann kaufen, der bei der Berechnung seiner Preise zuvorkommenderweise auf die staatlichen Steuern verzichtete. [Taschenbuch S. 83]
Der Zwerg musste schlucken. Das war mal wieder typisch für die Zwergen-Bruderschaft. Was hassen Zwerge am meisten? Feuer. Welches sind die einzigen Wesen, die Feuerbälle herbeizaubern können? Kobolde. Und mit wem legen sich die Zwerge an? So blöd musste man erst mal sein. [Taschenbuch S. 145]

Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.
An evil genius
kidnaps a fairy captain
to hold her ransom.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786817879, Mass Market Paperback)

At last, one of the most talked-about novels of last year is now available in an accessible mass-market edition. Twelve-year-old Artemis is a millionaire, a genius-and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories-they're dangerous!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:17 -0400)

When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141312122, 0141329726, 014133939X, 0141339098

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,453,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible