Artemis Fowl 01: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl 01: Artemis Fowl (edition 2011)

by Eoin Colfer

Title:Artemis Fowl 01: Artemis Fowl
Authors:Eoin Colfer
Info:Puffin Books (2011), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Children & YA, In English, Read but unowned
Tags:Artemis Fowl, Fairies, Children, Humour, In English

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Both feature a slightly ruthless child hero attempting to harness magical beings for his own nefarious ends. Funny and inventive!
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (westher)
    westher: Als je een fan van Holly Short bent is Thursday Next een topper!
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (missmaddie)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (foggidawn)
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: fans of Fowl's integration of a "real world" with a fairy world will appreciate Dust City's setting
    Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates of the Arctic by Sean Cullen (tardis)
    tardis: The Hamish X books are absurd and funny and like the Artemis Fowl books (also funny) they feature capable young protagonists with dangerous adversaries.
    The Teenage Years by Jamie Thomson (aliklein)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jesh1721)

English (296)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (306)
Great young adult book - I read it because I bought my son the first 3 books for his birthday and wanted to be able to talk with him about the books. They are fun, with a mix of magic and technology that should keep him interested through the entire series. The first book is an introduction so there is not a lot of action but enough to keep young minds going. ( )
  Mindslayer | Nov 18, 2015 |
Given the high praise this book seems to have gotten, I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed. People have compared it to Harry Potter but that's really unfair. While 10-12 year olds might enjoy it, it lacks Potter's wider appeal.

The story was fairly standard but generally held together. It could be very funny in places but had an unfortunate reliance on bathroom humour. I also found its message (humans suck) to be presented in an overly heavy handed way.

The fairies insult humans constantly, calling them stupid and cruel but they are just as bad. They pollute, murder and fight among themselves. I really hope that this was Colfer's attempt at irony because otherwise it made little sense.

The characters also felt a little flat. Artemis appeared surprisingly infrequently so I never got that attached to him or his situation. The fairies were also an unpleasant bunch, open to squabbling and being generally rather cruel. The only character I really got liked to was Butler and that was because he was made of awesome.

In conclusion, this book wasn't really for me. People tell me that this series improves so I think I'll take a look at book 2 now to see if that's the case. ( )
1 vote ArkhamReviews | Nov 15, 2015 |
I'm still not really sure how I feel about this book, and yet I'm curious enough about what will happen that I'll probably read the rest...

The worldbuilding was kind of interesting and I like the idea of a very modern fairy world, but in general I thought the writing kind of sucked. This is the guy who took over writing Hitchhiker's Guide??? No way. Glad I never had any interest in reading his continuation; I always felt like I'd rather just stick to the originals and reread those if I got the urge, but now having seen some of his other writing really cements that. ( )
  kyuuketsukirui | Oct 27, 2015 |
@artemis_fowl +library ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
I read this book as a kid and all I can remember is that I really loved it! I think I may even go back and read it again :D ( )
  Osanna | Sep 3, 2015 |
The truth is, fairies in their essence are said to possess glamour, a word that originally meant something like charm -- the ability to bewitch. Hardware may intrigue, caustic belligerence may be sexy to a contemporary 12-year-old, but neither ingredient bewitches. Despite a brave and promising premise, ''Artemis Fowl'' is charmless.
Characterizations and dialogue enhance a rollicking tale that will have readers rolling on the floor and eagerly anticipating the planned sequel
added by khuggard | editBooklist
Fun to read, full of action and humor, this is recommended for all public libraries and to readers of all ages
added by khuggard | editLibrary Journal
The combination of choppy sentences and ornate language will appeal to some readers, although not necessarily to Harry Potter fans; the emphasis here is more on action (some of it gory), technology, and deadpan humor than on magic, and only one character (Artemis) is a child.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal
Despite numerous clever gadgets and an innovative take on traditional fairy lore, the author falls short of the bar.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alcaina, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jackie
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? (Prologue)
Ho Chi Minh City in the summer.
Eoin Colfer describes his new book, Artemis Fowl, as "Die Hard with fairies." He's not far wrong.

Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is the most ingenious criminal mastermind in history. With two trusty sidekicks in tow, he hatches a cunning plot to divest the fairyfolk of their pot of gold. Of course, he isn't foolish enough to believe in all that "gold at the end of the rainbow" nonsense. Rather, he knows that the only way to separate the little people from their stash is to kidnap one of them and wait for the ransom to arrive. But when the time comes to put his plan into action, he doesn't count on the appearance of the extrasmall, pointy-eared Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance) Unit--and her senior officer, Commander Root, a man (sorry, elf) who will stop at nothing to get her back.
An evil genius
kidnaps a fairy captain
to hold her ransom. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786817879, Mass Market Paperback)

At last, one of the most talked-about novels of last year is now available in an accessible mass-market edition. Twelve-year-old Artemis is a millionaire, a genius-and above all, a criminal mastermind. But Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories-they're dangerous!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:17 -0400)

When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141312122, 0141322969, 0141329726, 014133939X, 0141339098

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible