The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern…

The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom (edition 2006)

by Jonathan Haidt

901None9,768 (4.19)13
Member:debnance
Title:The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom
Authors:Jonathan Haidt
Info:Basic Books (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom by Jonathan Haidt

Most excellent book, highly recommended.

Haidt draws from a variety of traditions to identify large ideas on self perception, morality, happiness, etc. and evaluates each in light of modern, scientific knowledge. The result is highly informative, insightful and fascinating - and at points quite surprising. ( )
  GustavoG | Apr 6, 2014 |
Several things here to challenge my worldview-- Prozac cf. contact lenses, religion cf. science, optimist cf. pessimist. Thought provoking and inspires change. ( )
  ehousewright | Feb 5, 2014 |
I literally just finished this book by Jonathan Hiadt 5 minutes ago, and it was an intriguing and thought-provoking read. Applying modern science to ancient wisdom is a nice way of remodifying the way we perceive the world in order to make us happier in life. The elephant (desire) and rider (rational self) was a great metaphor to describe how the elephant is an autonomous pleasure-seeking vehicle that translocates us as it pleases, and how the rider, at times, refuses what the elephant wants but is reluctantly taken to wherever the elephant desires (the book explains methods to remedy this). Also, he explains how opposition or contradiction--such as in east's collectivist culture and west's individualist culture; and liberalism and conservatism--are essential for change, group cohesion, and moving forward.

"When opponents of evolution object that human beings are not mere apes, they are correct. We are part bee." -Jonathan Haidt

"Happiness requires changing yourself and changing your world." -Jonathan Haidt

"The big greedy self is like a brick holding down the soul."
-Jonathan Haidt

"The self does not like to be denied, and it is adept at finding reasons to bend the rules or cheat." -Jonathan Haidt

"If you are in passionate love and want to celebrate it, read poetry. If your ardor has calmed and you want to understand your evolving relationship, read psychology. But if you have just ended a relationship and would like to believe you are better off without love, read philosophy." -Jonathan Haidt
  Impossiblistic | Aug 25, 2012 |
"It is a good primer, a good balanced beginning text."
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/happiness-hypothesis-jonathan-haid... ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Aug 1, 2012 |
This is a fascinating book. Haidt has mined the latest (as of 2005) psychological findings and refracted them through ancient teachings on human happiness. The result is an engaging, thoroughly informed and thought-provoking narrative on human nature, behavior, and aspiration. Once I started I could barely put it down. Now to re-read it with my notebook and pen handy. ( )
  Queenofcups | May 13, 2012 |
For Jayne
What should I do, how should I live, and whom should I become? (Introduction)
I first rode a horse in 1991, in Great Smoky National Park, North Carolina.

In his widely praised book, award-winning psychologist Jonathan Haidt examines the world’s philosophical wisdom through the lens of psychological science, showing how a deeper understanding of enduring maxims-like Do unto others as you would have others do unto you, or What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger-can enrich and even transform our lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:04 -0400)

Explores ten great insights about man, the purpose of life, and happiness selected from diverse traditions and uses current scientific research to question and discuss the ideas.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible