Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern…

The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom (edition 2006)

by Jonathan Haidt

Member:debnance
Title:The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom
Authors:Jonathan Haidt
Info:Basic Books (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom by Jonathan Haidt

First, let me state that this is NOT a self-help book. It is a survey of various ideas concerning happiness that cross various cultural, philosophical and religious boundaries.

Each idea is examined in the light of the latest neurological, psychological and sociological science. Some are found wanting, some very accurate and some useful in particular circumstances or cases.

It is a fascinating read, at times depressing because of just poorly our minds work in some cases, but at other times very inspiring. Today we really do have a vast body of knowledge and set of tools to apply to both our own happiness and well-being as well as understand that of others.

The facts and analysis presented are more broadly applicable - in politics most especially, but he dips into other fields as well.

I can't thinking of anyone who shouldn't read this book for the knowledge and analysis it contains alone. ( )
  qaphsiel | May 11, 2014 |

qaphsiel | May 11, 2014 |
The author, a professor of moral psychology, did I fine job of gathering insights old and new, to form a well-organized and easy-reading presentation of, in essence, "ways to live a fulfilling life". Not a straight how-to book, and "happiness" is a component, but not the central thesis here. He cites numerous clinical psych studies in his analysis, all quite interesting to know about. I applaud Haidt for steering clear of ideology, and appropriately seeing both sides of the moral push-pull of opinion in religion and society. Eye-opening book for me. ( )
  JamesMScott | Apr 30, 2014 |
Most excellent book, highly recommended.

Haidt draws from a variety of traditions to identify large ideas on self perception, morality, happiness, etc. and evaluates each in light of modern, scientific knowledge. The result is highly informative, insightful and fascinating - and at points quite surprising. ( )
  GustavoG | Apr 6, 2014 |
Several things here to challenge my worldview-- Prozac cf. contact lenses, religion cf. science, optimist cf. pessimist. Thought provoking and inspires change. ( )
  ehousewright | Feb 5, 2014 |
For Jayne
What should I do, how should I live, and whom should I become? (Introduction)
I first rode a horse in 1991, in Great Smoky National Park, North Carolina.

In his widely praised book, award-winning psychologist Jonathan Haidt examines the world’s philosophical wisdom through the lens of psychological science, showing how a deeper understanding of enduring maxims-like Do unto others as you would have others do unto you, or What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger-can enrich and even transform our lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:04 -0400)

Explores ten great insights about man, the purpose of life, and happiness selected from diverse traditions and uses current scientific research to question and discuss the ideas.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible