The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern…

The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom (edition 2006)

by Jonathan Haidt

Member:debnance
Title:The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom
Authors:Jonathan Haidt
Info:Basic Books (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom by Jonathan Haidt

Rather than looking at psychic illness, positive psychology considers mental health and happiness. Jonathan Haidt brings together ancient knowledge and new research to give a full picture of the things that contribute to happiness and in so doing gives us a good handbook about the things we need to tackle to improve our own happiness. This is not a series of instructions but rather an explanation - the how and why - of various elements that contribute to the overall level of happiness everyone of us feels.
Though there's a huge annex of footnotes and further reading, the book is an easy read. This is probably the book into which I put the most highlights and marginal notes. This book can make you happier. ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
Happened onto this. Positive psychology as embodied in ancient wisdom. ( )
  clifforddham | Sep 24, 2015 |
A fascinating book, stuffed full of interesting ideas, and now with my book marks and highlights. Must re-read! ( )
  jvgravy | Apr 3, 2015 |
Excellent, a little dense at times but the ideas are expressed in a way that stays in your head. I regularly tell friends we should all be either on Prozac, meditating or getting cognitive behaviour therapy....(!) ( )
  LizzieHG | Jan 13, 2015 |
First, let me state that this is NOT a self-help book. It is a survey of various ideas concerning happiness that cross various cultural, philosophical and religious boundaries.

Each idea is examined in the light of the latest neurological, psychological and sociological science. Some are found wanting, some very accurate and some useful in particular circumstances or cases.

It is a fascinating read, at times depressing because of just poorly our minds work in some cases, but at other times very inspiring. Today we really do have a vast body of knowledge and set of tools to apply to both our own happiness and well-being as well as understand that of others.

The facts and analysis presented are more broadly applicable - in politics most especially, but he dips into other fields as well.

I can't thinking of anyone who shouldn't read this book for the knowledge and analysis it contains alone. ( )
  qaphsiel | May 11, 2014 |
For Jayne
What should I do, how should I live, and whom should I become? (Introduction)
I first rode a horse in 1991, in Great Smoky National Park, North Carolina.

In his widely praised book, award-winning psychologist Jonathan Haidt examines the world’s philosophical wisdom through the lens of psychological science, showing how a deeper understanding of enduring maxims-like Do unto others as you would have others do unto you, or What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger-can enrich and even transform our lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

Explores ten great insights about man, the purpose of life, and happiness selected from diverse traditions and uses current scientific research to question and discuss the ideas.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,633,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible