Gone by Lisa McMann

Gone

by Lisa McMann

Series: Wake Trilogy (3)

While eighteen-year-old Janie ponders her future with Cabe, knowing that her being a dream-catcher means eventual blindness and crippling, she encounters her past as the father she never knew is hospitalized with brain trauma and seems to need her help.

I really can't believe that the series has come to an end. But what an ending it was! McMann did not disappoint with the third and final book in the Dream Catcher Trilogy.
We come into Gone, just a few weeks after the ending in Fade. Janie and Cabel are getting ready to take a mini vacation before starting up with their undercover police work. They head to the lake to spend time with Cabel's brother and sister-in-law. While there, they have a few days of slight peace; though Janie still gets sucked into Cabel's dreams and even one dream while learning to water ski. After getting frantic voice mails from Carrie stating that she is taking Janie's mother to the hospital, Cable and Janie leave. Once they reach the hospital, they find out that it wasn't for Janie's mom, but a man known as Henry.
Henry is someone that Janie, doesn't know; but she soon realizes just how much of a connection that they really have. See, Henry is Janie's father. Janie really has no idea how to handle this new information, and with whatever she is contemplating in the beginning of the book, this added information and her mother's attitude is really getting to her. I wondered through the whole book, exactly what it was that Janie was contemplating, and until the end I didn't really grasp it. I'm sure if I thought about it long and hard I would have figured it out, but I was too worried about how Janie was really going to deal with knowing about her father.
Cabel tries to help Janie find out more about her father, and eventually he finds out where Henry lived and takes Janie there. When they arrive, Janie is a little apprehensive and doesn't really want to find out anything, but after looking around the house a bit, Janie starts to wonder why he lived out in the middle of nowhere and why he pretty much isolated himself.
While Janie is still being sucked into dreams, and for her; Cabel's are the worst. She goes to visit her father, whom is in a coma all through the book. When she goes into his room, she is sucked into his dreams, and she has to fight really hard to get out of it. While doing more research and thinking Janie realizes that the dream catching is hereditary and that she got it from her father. Miss Stubin makes another appearance and that is when Janie realizes everything.
We find out shortly after that, just what it is that Janie has been contemplating and just what she is going to do. I wasn't happy with the decision she came to and I will admit that I teared up quite a bit. Janie is trying to figure out how to help her father in his dream and while she is sleeping beside his bed in the hospital, Henry catches Janie's dream and she actually gets to speak to him. It was a bittersweet moment between father and daughter.
Henry passes the next day and while Janie is trying to get her alcoholic mother to actually have a funeral for him, and then get her mother to the funeral, she learns that while Henry may have isolated himself, Janie does have a "family" that loves and supports her. The funeral is sad and her mother plays the drunk perfectly, but Janie has the support of Cabel, Carrie, and even her "boss".
We go on to see what Janie decided and how she slowly starts to enact her decision, then after about a day she realizes that maybe she made the wrong choice. There are always two sides to every story, the one that you see and then the one that actually happened. Now maybe, it didn't really happen like that, but would you take the chance? Knowing what you know for sure would happen or guessing that just maybe everything would be ok? Could you live with leaving the ONLY one you love and never seeing them again? Janie answers these questions, and realizes that she may need to reconsider exactly what she wants out of her life.
I really can't believe that the trilogy is finished and I won't get to see just how Janie's decision affected everyone around her, and what exactly is happening now. ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
I really enjoyed these books and I'm sad to see the characters go. These books are great summer reads and I love how there is just a touch of paranormal stuff. At first I didn't really like the way McMann wrote the stories but after awhile I started to like it. It made sense for Janie's story. I look forward to reading McMann's other books. I recommend these books for anyone who loves books with some paranormal activity. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
I really liked this series. Very interesting and different.
I feel bad for her though. Slowly going blind. That's gotta suck. She's so young.
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
The first two books weren't great and I should have known better than to even bother with this one. I didn't make it to page 50. Boring and annoying. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
I usually don't like the last book in a series, but this one I did. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |

Lisa McMannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Yuen, SammyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all those who have trouble at home.You are not alone.
It's like she can't breathe anymore, no matter what she does.

Lisa McMann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,805,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible