Child of the Prophecy (The Sevenwaters…

Child of the Prophecy (The Sevenwaters Trilogy, Book 3) (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Juliet Marillier

Member:cutelilnymph
Title:Child of the Prophecy (The Sevenwaters Trilogy, Book 3)
Authors:Juliet Marillier
Info:Tor Books (2003), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages

Child of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier (2001)

Heir to Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier (Kerian)
    Plain Kate by Erin Bow (quigui)
    quigui: I found there were certain themes in common: a girl people think is a witch, gipsies (with a love for horses), a lot of folklore. Plain Kate reminded me a lot of Child of the Prophecy and it's a very good book as well.
    The Winter Prince by Elizabeth E. Wein (infiniteletters)

English (33)  All (2)  German (1)  All (36)
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in this series and the third is no exception. Fianne is certainly a different kind of heroine to Sorcha and Liadan, but I still found her likeable and interesting. I could see the twist coming a mile off, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment.

I love that this series is so gripping and immersive, yet written so well with a wonderful historical/fantasy setting. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  mooingzelda | May 31, 2017 |
I really liked this book, even though there was a heavy dose of darkness around the main character. Actually, it was probably that darkness - her miserable circumstances and teacher - that strangely made it work. Fainne's character and inner strength was developed because and through her hard life. It's one thing to have a reasonably good life, suffer trials, and then move on. It's something a lot harder to move on when you've never known or hoped for anything better.

spoiler

I liked the twist ending best. I probably should not have laughed as hard as I did, but it was genius! The guy who everybody thought was the Child of Prophecy wasn't? This little nobody from the boonies is? But they both fit the requirements? That is a brilliantly original take on an old idea and I found it immensely satisfying. ( )
  AdriAnna2 | Aug 10, 2016 |
This was a great book: lovely writing, imaginative setting, and captivating history and lore. The plot was slow at times, but I didn't mind that. I quite enjoyed being in the head of an imperfect narrator. The only nitpick I have is that she was a bit too obliviousness to be believeable. ( )
  daniellamaria8 | Apr 9, 2016 |
This is the third installment in the original Sevenwaters trilogy. Again, Celtic myths and legends provide the backbone for the story, again good must defeat evil, and the result is another beautiful historical fantasy novel, a page-turner from beginning to end. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
This one took me a bit to get into (Fainne is a bit more prickly protag than Sorcha or Liadan from the earlier books) but I ended up loving it and racing to finish. I found it an entirely satisfying resolution to the overarching plot of Oonagh and the isles, and very moving (perhaps even more so than the first two books). ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Armstrong. NealCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moody, PaulineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To old friends.
Every summer they came.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765345013, Mass Market Paperback)

The powerful fantasy novel Child of the Prophecy successfully concludes Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy, which chronicles a fated family's three-generation struggle to preserve the failing magic of ancient Ireland.

The daughter of a forbidden romance, Fianne has been raised in isolation and trained in magic by her loving but remote druid-father, Ciaran, and her ruthless sorceress-grandmother, the Lady Oonagh. They send Fianne to Sweetwaters to live among relatives who had no knowledge of her existence and who may have instigated the death of her mother, their sister Niamh. Fianne has come to carry out her grandmother's long-planned vengeance on the clan--and on the Old Ones, who are the source of Ireland's mystic power. Despite her mother's death, Fianne is reluctant to harm her Sweetwaters kin. But if she lets them live, the Lady Oonagh will kill both her father and Darragh, the handsome young horse tamer who has captured Fianne's heart.

Child of the Prophecy works as a standalone novel, but readers will benefit by first reading its equally accomplished prequels, Daughter of the Forest and Son of the Shadows. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

"Magic is fading, and the ways of man are driving the Old Ones to the West, beyond the ken of humankind. The ancient groves are being destroyed, and if nothing is done, Ireland will lose its essential mystic core. The prophecies of long ago have foretold a way to prevent this horror, and it is the Sevenwaters clan that the Spirits of Eire look to for salvation. They are a family bound into the lifeblood of the land, and their promise to preserve the magic has been the cause of great joy to them, as well as great sorrow. It is up to Fianne, daughter of Niamh, the lost sister of Sevenwaters, to solve the riddles of power. She is the shy child of a reclusive sorcerer, and her way is hard, for her father is the son of the wicked sorceress Oonagh, who has emerged from the shadows and seeks to destroy all that Sevenwaters has striven for. Oonagh will use her granddaughter Fianne most cruelly to accomplish her ends, and stops at nothing to see her will done. Will Fianne be strong enough to battle this evil and save those she has come to love?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible