Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection) by…

Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection) (original 1981; edition 1989)

by Maurice Sendak, Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

Member:evrenbay
Title:Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection)
Authors:Maurice Sendak
Other authors:Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1989), Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:S571-Materials for Youth
Tags:picture book, Caldecott, fantasy

Outside Over There by Maurice Sendak (1981)

Summary:
It's about a little girl whose name is Ida. When her parents were not at home, she need to take care of her sisters. One day the goblins came to their house and stole her sisters. Ida was very angry when she found out then she decide to save her sister back from goblins. She overcame a lot of difficulties to finally took her sister back from goblins.

Genre:
It is a fairy tale since the story happened in a non-realistic world with goblins.

Critiques:
1. The media of this book is paints.
2. The plot and language in this book is not clear and understand by students. Some of the plots are kind of confused.

Comments on use:
I will not recommond reading aloud this book on class.
Students can read by themselves if they are interested.
  LaurieZeng | Apr 10, 2017 |
Not a book that I would choose to read to children; the text/language is difficult to read and has a different type of symbolism that would be hard for students to comprehend. ( )
  rri002 | Mar 3, 2017 |
This is one of the books they based the 1986 movie "Labyrinth" off of. I really like it, I got it as a christmas present from my brother. I like it way better than Where The Wild Things Are. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |
I don't understand. My sons and I loved Wild Things and [b:Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months|590552|Chicken Soup with Rice A Book of Months|Maurice Sendak|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1176077222s/590552.jpg|355618] but just didn't get into this. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
It is a tale of a young girl responsible for looking after her baby sister. The baby is kidnapped by goblins and the girl must rescue her little sister. This is an extremely beautifully illustrated book; it received the Caldecott Honor. Pictures are done in pastels and cover the full page of an earlier time period. The text and design follow the motif of the era. Some of the verses are done in rhyme. Possible use for read aloud, though it is a bit stressful of a tale. Themes: responsibility, being aware, sisters, and courage.
  JuliannOlson2015 | Dec 1, 2015 |

With Papa off to sea and Mama despondent, Ida must go outside over there to rescue her baby sister from goblins who steal her to be a goblin's bride.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,416,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible