Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection) by…

Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection) (original 1981; edition 1989)

by Maurice Sendak, Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

567None17,672 (3.93)16
Member:evrenbay
Title:Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection)
Authors:Maurice Sendak
Other authors:Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1989), Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:S571-Materials for Youth
Tags:picture book, Caldecott, fantasy

Outside Over There by Maurice Sendak (1981)

I really did not like this book. The first thing I did not like was I thought the writing style was very odd and a tad uncomfortable and unnatural to read. For example, a line in the story read, "Now Ida glad hugged baby tight." In my mind, that sentence does not flow at all. The pictures, although very detailed, were very dark and gloomy and if I were a young child reading this or having it read to me, I would be frightened. The pictures are very spooky. It does possess a decent message though. It shows the reader the very relatable situation of older siblings feeling the burden of watching over the younger ones but if it actually came down to it, they would drop everything to help their younger siblings in need. ( )
  jjones58 | Feb 26, 2014 |
Beautiful painterly illustrations. The story of a young girl coming to terms with her responsibility for her younger sister. Inspired the movie Labyrinth. ( )
  alexjtedesco | Dec 10, 2013 |
This has to be one of my favorite of all of Sendak's work. How true the story is! It is about a father who is physically away, a mother who is emotionally absent, and a girl who has to take on the role of caretaker for her younger sibling and overall her family. She does not like the responsibility and simply wants to play her horn. But, she ultimately takes responsibility for those she loves and outwits the goblins. How many children in the world have to the parents? How many children have to take responsibility for the family when all they want to do is be a child? How many children do not like the responsibility, but truly love their families and would do anything to help? In my opinion, this is Sendak's most honest and real story. ( )
  cjohnen01 | Nov 17, 2013 |
As I was reading this, I was like, man, this is awfully similar to the movie The Labyrinth. But it was written well before and I don't remember that the Labyrinth was based on a book. But then I found out that, indeed, this book is the basis for that film. And more than that, the basis for the book is Sendak's memories of hearing about the Lindberg Baby kidnapping when he was a child! Anyway, even without all that back story, it's a great book. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
Colorful book about a little girl whose father is away at sea and encourages her to care for the baby. She is negligent and has to rescue the baby from goblins.
  SASegsworth | May 31, 2013 |

With Papa off to sea and Mama despondent, Ida must go outside over there to rescue her baby sister from goblins who steal her to be a goblin's bride.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:13 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible