Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection) by…

Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection) (original 1981; edition 1989)

by Maurice Sendak, Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

Title:Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection)
Authors:Maurice Sendak
Other authors:Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1989), Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:S571-Materials for Youth
Tags:picture book, Caldecott, fantasy

Outside Over There by Maurice Sendak (1981)

This is one of the books they based the 1986 movie "Labyrinth" off of. I really like it, I got it as a christmas present from my brother. I like it way better than Where The Wild Things Are. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |
I don't understand. My sons and I loved Wild Things and [b:Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months|590552|Chicken Soup with Rice A Book of Months|Maurice Sendak|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1176077222s/590552.jpg|355618] but just didn't get into this. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
It is a tale of a young girl responsible for looking after her baby sister. The baby is kidnapped by goblins and the girl must rescue her little sister. This is an extremely beautifully illustrated book; it received the Caldecott Honor. Pictures are done in pastels and cover the full page of an earlier time period. The text and design follow the motif of the era. Some of the verses are done in rhyme. Possible use for read aloud, though it is a bit stressful of a tale. Themes: responsibility, being aware, sisters, and courage.
  JuliannOlson2015 | Dec 1, 2015 |
Outside over there is a piece of literature about a little girl named Ida who must save her baby sister from goblins. It all started off when papa went off to sea and mama was despondent. The goblins came to steal Ida’s baby sister to be a goblins’ bride.

Personal Reaction:

I can relate to this story, because my baby brother was took from me, so I thought, but to my realization he was down the street with his friend. I was so heated, but it made me be more aware around me and what is being taken place.

Classroom extensions:

1. Imagine a place where you could be if it wasn’t for those who cared for you. Where would you be?
2. Create a game for the students to play that teaches them how to be aware of their surrounding and to not let nothing get by or took from them. ( )
  dr184845 | Jul 16, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book, "Outside Over There," by Maurice Sendak, but there was one part I did not like. First, I thought the illustrations contributed to and enhanced the story line. For example, when the goblins kidnap Ida's baby sister, it allowed me to create a visual inside of my mind to see how Maurice Sendak wanted the reader to envision the situation. Secondly, I liked the characters of the story. Even though Ida is young, she is courageous and strong. For instance, when her baby sister disappears and is replaced with ice, she decides to go "outside, over there" and steal her sister from the goblins. As Maurice Sendak says this sister relationship represents his relationship with his sister, it makes the story feel more real and makes Ida seem more brave. However, the story was a little confusing with some of the word choices. For example, Ida hears her sailor Papa's song, "If Ida backwards in the rain would only turn around again and catch those goblins with a tune shed spoil their kidnap honeymoon!" I did not understand why this was her sailor Papa's song or like how it was stated in the middle of the story without explanation. Lastly, the main idea of the story is to face the fears of reality. ( )
  NicoleGinex | Apr 13, 2015 |

With Papa off to sea and Mama despondent, Ida must go outside over there to rescue her baby sister from goblins who steal her to be a goblin's bride.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,697,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible