Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection) by…

Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection) (original 1981; edition 1989)

by Maurice Sendak, Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

Member:evrenbay
Title:Outside Over There (Caldecott Collection)
Authors:Maurice Sendak
Other authors:Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1989), Paperback, 40 pages
Collections:S571-Materials for Youth
Tags:picture book, Caldecott, fantasy

Outside Over There by Maurice Sendak (1981)

Outside over there is a piece of literature about a little girl named Ida who must save her baby sister from goblins. It all started off when papa went off to sea and mama was despondent. The goblins came to steal Ida’s baby sister to be a goblins’ bride.

Personal Reaction:

I can relate to this story, because my baby brother was took from me, so I thought, but to my realization he was down the street with his friend. I was so heated, but it made me be more aware around me and what is being taken place.

Classroom extensions:

1. Imagine a place where you could be if it wasn’t for those who cared for you. Where would you be?
2. Create a game for the students to play that teaches them how to be aware of their surrounding and to not let nothing get by or took from them. ( )
  dr184845 | Jul 16, 2015 |
I don't understand. My sons and I loved Wild Things and [b:Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months|590552|Chicken Soup with Rice A Book of Months|Maurice Sendak|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1176077222s/590552.jpg|355618] but just didn't get into this. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book, "Outside Over There," by Maurice Sendak, but there was one part I did not like. First, I thought the illustrations contributed to and enhanced the story line. For example, when the goblins kidnap Ida's baby sister, it allowed me to create a visual inside of my mind to see how Maurice Sendak wanted the reader to envision the situation. Secondly, I liked the characters of the story. Even though Ida is young, she is courageous and strong. For instance, when her baby sister disappears and is replaced with ice, she decides to go "outside, over there" and steal her sister from the goblins. As Maurice Sendak says this sister relationship represents his relationship with his sister, it makes the story feel more real and makes Ida seem more brave. However, the story was a little confusing with some of the word choices. For example, Ida hears her sailor Papa's song, "If Ida backwards in the rain would only turn around again and catch those goblins with a tune shed spoil their kidnap honeymoon!" I did not understand why this was her sailor Papa's song or like how it was stated in the middle of the story without explanation. Lastly, the main idea of the story is to face the fears of reality. ( )
  NicoleGinex | Apr 13, 2015 |
I enjoyed Maurice Sendak’s story “Outside Over There” because of the descriptive language, and illustrations. Sendak describes the wedding scene that Ida comes across on her mission to save her baby sister from being a goblin’s bride. Sendak emphasizes “how those goblins hollered and kicked and were just babies like her sister”. The illustrations in the story are very unique because they have a 19th century vibe and are darker images than usually found in children’s books. This is unusual for a modern children’s book, however the images greatly enhance the story because it helps the reader visualize what the characters looked like as well as helped them understand the emotions such as Ida’s sadness through the use of dark colors like gray. The overall message in this story is responsibility, and how important it is to pay attention to your surroundings. If Ida was properly watching her sister she would have seen the goblins and been able to stop them before they could kidnap the baby. ( )
  Mchapp1 | Apr 3, 2015 |
I did not care too much for this book. The first reason is because of the plot. I find it odd that goblins, who are really babies, steal a baby so they can get married. The plot did not really hold my attention because it was odd and uninteresting. The second reason I did not like this plot is because of the characters. Most of the characters were babies, and they were doing adult events, like getting married and kidnapping. When I found out that the goblins were really babies, I immediately lost interest, and did not take the book seriously. Although I did not like the book, I did enjoy the illustrations. I liked how the author drew each page to help guide the reader in the plot. The central message of the story is to expect the unexpected. ( )
  Tcochr1 | Mar 22, 2015 |

With Papa off to sea and Mama despondent, Ida must go outside over there to rescue her baby sister from goblins who steal her to be a goblin's bride.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible