Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt

Pat the Bunny (1940)

by Dorothy Kunhardt

Recently added bycmharig, firepile, booksniff, nrmay, rebe18, kerrygiven, danierenae, private library, quaintlittlehead

This seems like an excellent introduction to reading for little ones. The bunny is so soft, Daddy's beard so scratchy, and I really appreciate that you can actually see yourself pretty well in the mirror, unlike with a lot of the cheap imitation "mirrors" that get stuck inside of greeting cards. There's even a book within the book! Fun and simple. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Jul 31, 2014 |
Pat the Bunny is my favorite board book. It is interactive in the best and most simple way with a kind tone, sweet illustrations, and a gentle encouragement to explore the wonderful world. I always include this book in my gift for baby showers. While I decided to put this title under "Board book", that fact is arguable - to my knowledge, it is only spiral bound, still, will relatively (for a toddler) delicate pages. This is a book that will be well worn if it is well loved.
  emmalune | Mar 13, 2014 |
This book goes through lots of things that Judy can do. Then it says and you can do it too. It is a book of touch and feel.
  kristynzonsius | Nov 11, 2013 |
Summary- A simple short story about having a rabbit as a pet.

Personal Opinion- It's just a cute book for prekindergarten children. There are pages with different textures to feel and pet.

Classroom Extension- 1) Teaches what goes into taking care of pets. 2) The different textures of sight and feelings around a classroom and what they could be used in art.
  Truly.Mae.Pettijohn | Oct 29, 2013 |
This book is particularly dear to us because we received it as a baby shower gift from a 101 years old lady by the name of ... Dorothy. We read it together many times a week when my son was in infancy (and he still brings it out to read every so often). It's sweet and unpretentious, and it's interactive providing the following activities: you can pat the bunny's fur, touch daddy's scratchy unshaved face, look in the mirror, play peek-a-boo, smell the flowers, read a book, try a ring on. It's so simple, yet so educational for the infant. It's my very favorite touch-and-feel book, so cute. Originally published in 1940, I'd say it still holds appeal for infants. In short, it's a classic that won't go out of date.

(The light plastic binding of this book is somewhat delicate, unless you get a board book edition. It's not really sturdy or baby-proof. We stored it out of reach until my son was old enough to handle it gently ...) ( )
  Fjola | Oct 16, 2013 |

Is parodied in

Here are Paul and Judy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307120007, Plastic Comb)

"Judy can pat the bunny. Now YOU pat the bunny." Sound familiar? Pat the Bunny is a part of childhood, as soothing as cocoa and animal crackers. Dorothy Kunhardt's interactive book for babies and toddlers was one of the first of its kind when it was published in 1940, and it has since sold over six million copies. We pat the soft fur of the bunny, play peek-a-boo, look in the mirror, and then do it all over again. (And again and again and again.) After you Pat the Bunny with your baby, why not Pat the Cat and Pat the Dog? These two sequels were written by Edith Kunhardt, the daughter of the author of the original book. Both use the same tried-and-true Pat the Bunny format: sturdy cardboard pages with eight activities that wee ones can explore, from sniffing some brownies, to squeaking a teddy bear, to unfastening Grandma's tennis shoe. The simple line drawings and pastel colors don't do much for adults, but somehow they are just right for babies. This boxed set is a fine choice for a baby gift or first birthday present, and a lifesaver on a long car trip. (Baby to preschool) --Marcie Bovetz

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:57 -0400)

A first touch book for toddlers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,281,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible