Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

Daughter of the Forest

by Juliet Marillier

Series: Sevenwaters (Volume 1)

Deerskin by Robin McKinley (FutureMrsJoshGroban, Jen7waters)
    The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (alchymyst)
    Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier (Kerian)
    Crown Duel (Crown Duel / Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith (kathleen.morrow)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip (night_owl13)
    The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott (sandstone78, HollyMS)
    sandstone78: Another lyrical retelling of the Six Swans fairytale, but less of a romance
    The Dark Mirror by Juliet Marillier (AJtheLush)
    AJtheLush: Same Author, also wonderful
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (leahsimone)
    Black Ships by Jo Graham (AmethystFaerie)
    Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers (kathleen.morrow)
    Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (and22polarbears)
    Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn (Anonymous user)
    Birdwing by Rafe Martin (quigui)
    quigui: Based on the same fairytale, the story tells what happens to the brother left with a swan wing. Bear in mind that the main character, Ardwin, is very different from Finbar. Enjoyable read.
    Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar medieval flavored settings, good writing, nuanced characters, well developed love stories.
    The Sand Reckoner by Gillian Bradshaw (cataylor)
    The Wolf Hunt by Gillian Bradshaw (cataylor)
    Child of the Phoenix by Barbara Erskine (imyril)
    imyril: Celtic-themed historical romance with a supernatural twist - the life of a young Welsh princess with the gift puts her at the heart of the Welsh and then the Scottish fight against Edward Longshanks.
    The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia A. McKillip (Anonymous user)
    The Orphan's Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice by Catherynne Valente (AmethystFaerie)

English (106)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (110)
2-6-2016:
This book is so good. Why don't more people know about it?

But seriously. Every scene between Sorcha and Red is literally on FIRE, that's how ridiculous the chemistry is. The characters are lovely, the romance is lovely, the writing is lovely.

I just wish Marillier had followed through on her massive potential. I've read two of her other books, and they can't touch Daughter of the Forest. Marillier had a one-time stroke of genius, and this is all we are going to get, I think. But I'll take it.
---

I am secretly a huge sappy romantic at heart. This book is just plain lovely. Beautiful writing, wonderful characters, everything.

Fine. The first half is slow. The first time I read this book I skipped some sections (heresy!) because I could not care about Simon.

But then Red comes in and everything is lovely and beautiful and painful. As it should be.

I loved this book. There's a sequel. For the love of hamsters don't read it. It's terrible. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Retelling of the Seven Swans fairy tale. Good characterization. I kept crying.
[read 2003-15 yr ago] ( )
  juniperSun | Jan 18, 2019 |
Absolutely loved this book. Have read it several times. Probably my favorite novel. ( )
  sarahashwood | Jun 22, 2018 |
A journey through Irish tales, fairy tales, faery folk, the bonds of family, and what it is to love and be betrayed. A well held together fantasy that doesn't stretch you too far but is great escapism. ( )
  devilish2 | Feb 28, 2018 |
I don't actually know when I started this audiobook. I listened to it on and off all year so far, and finally listened to the majority of it in July.

I overall enjoyed this story, but it wasn't as compelling as I hoped it would be. I found the main character and narrator to be kind of annoying - Sorcha was only 12 or so when the novel started, so there was a lot of whining and I just really wasn't feeling it. She definitely turned into a strong young woman, but the way the narrator portrayed her just grated on my nerves.

The plot overall was good, the pacing was okay, but this book felt sooooo slllooowww at times. I think it was just too long for what kind of story it was trying to tell. I found some plot points to be unnecessary and just put in there to make the book longer.

I did really enjoy Red as a character, and Ben and John.

Overall, it was okay, I probably won't read any more of this series though. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |

Juliet Marillierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Laar, Karel vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moody, PaulineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the strong women of my family: Dorothy, Jennifer, Elly, and Bronya.
Three children lay on the rocks at the water's edge. - Chapter 1
The framework for Daughter of the Forest is a Germanic tale, The Six Swans, from the collection of the Grimm brothers. - Author's note
You are the blood in my veins, and the beating of my heart. You are my first waking thought, and my last sigh before sleeping. You are - you are bone of my bone, and breath of my breath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765343436, Mass Market Paperback)

At the heart of this surprisingly accomplished first novel, first book of the Sevenwaters trilogy, is a retelling of an ancient Celtic legend. Marillier's story, however, is much more than a slightly disguised fairy tale. Young Sorcha is the seventh child and only daughter of Irish Lord Colum of Sevenwaters, a domain well protected from invading Saxons and Britons by dense forest where, legend says, fey Deirdre, the Lady of the Forest, walks the woodland paths at night. Colum is first and foremost a warrior, bent on maintaining his lands against all outsiders. Not all of his sons are so bound to the old ways, and that family friction leads to outright disobedience when Sorcha and her brother Finbar help a Briton captive escape from Colum's dungeon. Soon after, Colum brings home a new wife who ensorcels everyone she can't otherwise manipulate. By her spell Sorcha's brothers are cursed to become swans. Only Sorcha, hiding deep in the forest, can break the spell by painfully weaving shirts of starwort nettle--but then Sorcha is captured by Britons and taken away across the sea. Determined to break the curse despite her captivity, Sorcha continues to work, little expecting that ultimately she will have to chose between saving her brothers and protecting the Briton lord who has defended her throughout her trials. Marillier's writing is deft and heartfelt, bypassing the usual bombast of fantasy fireworks for a rich, magical story of loyalty and love. --Charlene Brusso

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

First in a new trilogy. Sorcha is the seventh child and only daughter of Lord Colum of Sevenwaters. Her joy is shattered when her widowed father is bewitched by an evil enchantress who binds her brothers with a terrible spell. Only Sorcha can lift the spell by staying silent. If she speaks before completing the quest set to her by the Fair Folk and their queen, she will lose her brothers forever. Lovely Sorcha is the seventh child and only daughter of Lord Colum of Sevenwaters. Bereft of a mother, she is comforted by her six brothers who love and protect her. Sorcha is the light in their lives, they are determined that she know only contentment. But Sorcha's joy is shattered when her father is bewitched by his new wife, an evil enchantress who binds her brothers with a terrible spell, a spell which only Sorcha can lift-by staying silent. If she speaks before she completes the quest set to her by the Fair Folk and their queen, the Lady of the Forest, she will lose her brothers forever. When Sorcha is kidnapped by the enemies of Sevenwaters and taken to a foreign land, she is torn between the desire to save her beloved brothers, and a love that comes only once. Sorcha despairs at ever being able to complete her task, but the magic of the Fair Folk knows no boundaries, and love is the strongest magic of them all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,510,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible