One Second After by William R. Forstchen

One Second After (2009)

by William R. Forstchen

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alas, Babylon influenced One Second After.
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: YA novel details family life from a teenagers perspective after a comet throws the moon off its axis.

English (85)  Swedish (1)  All languages (86)
Fantastic book. I now feel the need to learn how to hunt and field dress a deer, not to mention buy up every single canned good Sam's has to offer. ( )
  AubreyGross | May 20, 2015 |
A must read for anyone concerned about the possibility of and EMP device being exploded over the U.S.

Besides giving the reader more insight into what the aftermath would look like, this is an exciting read and a real page turner! I couldn't put it down! ( )
  ReaderCop | May 15, 2015 |
What would happen if one day everything as we know it ceased working? All our technology is set back 500 years? What happens if the entire world, or as least the United States, was hit by an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) that would wipe out every bit of electricity and power that we’ve worked so hard to build up the past few centuries?
This is explored in “One Second After.” Explained to be a work of fiction about a very real threat to our society, Forstchen has a foreward by Newt Gingrich and an afterword by a retired United States Air Force general whom both discuss the fact that this scenerio isn’t as far-fetched as it would seem to be.
The story begins with professor John Matherson going about his life as well as can be expected for a man who is still suffering from the loss of his wife four years prior. He currently lives with two daughters, one with type 1 Diabetes who has to be carefully monitored so she doesn’t so into shock. His mother-in-law lives nearby and helps with the girls quite a bit.
Suddenly, everything is turned upside down when nothing seems to work anymore. A power outage is suspected at first, however it is determined to be more than that when the Mathersons look out to see hundreds of cars stalled out on the highway close to their home.
John’s past experience in the military makes him suddenly realize there must have been an EMP, and he must get word out to everyone what that means. He realizes if this is the case, someone must have exploded a bomb over the country that has shut down everything that runs on electricity. Luckily, John’s mother-in-law owns two old cars that will still run, allowing John to get around town as needed.
John quickly becomes a necessary resource for his mountain town to learn how to deal with the way this affects their community. How to get medicine to those who need it; how to make sure everyone gets fed equally; how to deal with those who are sick and cannot help themselves; etc. He even helps turn the students from the college into a disciplined military troupe, who can help fight off “outsiders” who try to come in to their town and live off their stockpiled supplies.
Eventually everyone realizes this loss of power is not going to be repaired quickly, and people turn against each other for the littlest things.
This book reminded me of one of Dean Koontz’s end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it stories. Dire as the situation was, I’m not sure I would ever eat my pets, as the people in this book eventually did.
The book ends exactly one year after the EMP occurred, with very little progress made during that time. If you take the book as just a tale it is alarming, however if you take the book as the warning the author intended, it’s downright terrifying. ( )
  mandersj73 | Apr 27, 2015 |
I know a book with a forward by Newt Gingrich....(now you know what direction my political views might be skewed), I looked beyond that, he did have some very thought provoking words....I read the story ( I seem to be in this trend of novels) all in all, it made me think. Which is a good thing.Maybe we all need to think oustide our boxes and from other views from time to time. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |

William R. Forstchenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barrett, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gingrich, NewtForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughter, Megan Marie Forstchen...and for those who protect her, that she may grow up in peace. And for my father, John Joseph Forstchen, who taught me what should truly be valued in life.
John Matherson lifted the plastic bag off the counter.

William R. Forstchen tells a story that might be all too terrifyingly real. A story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war that sends our nation back to the Dark Ages.

A war lost because of a terrifying weapon, an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP).

And it may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read. It has been discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a realistic look at EMPs and their awesome ability to send catastrophic shockwaves throughout the United States, literally within seconds. It is a weapon that The Wall Street Journal warned could shatter our nation. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail-Safe, and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future... and our end.

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP).  A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:36 -0400)

One man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war based upon an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) weapon that will send America back to the Dark Ages.

689 wanted3 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,857,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible