One Second After by William R. Forstchen

One Second After (2009)

by William R. Forstchen

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alas, Babylon influenced One Second After.
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: YA novel details family life from a teenagers perspective after a comet throws the moon off its axis.

English (94)  Swedish (1)  All languages (95)
When a nuclear explosion occurs above earth's atmosphere, it creates an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that disables the power grid and all electronic devices throughout the entire United States. In small town North Carolina, John Matherson, history professor at the local college, tries to protect his family and help the town keep from dying of starvation, disease, ransacking criminals and other desperate people trying to survive.

This was a story about a disaster that could really happen. The author is so concerned about this that he wrote the story to give it some attention. In the Forward and Prologue he has a congressman and military official state their same concerns. That made it more real and scary for me. The author did a good job making me feel the pain and sadness of the slow loss of life as food and medicine run out. There is some hope in the end but also a lot of uncertainty of the United States recovering. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jan 22, 2016 |
Too scary for words as this could truly happen. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I'm a post-apocalyptic/natural disasters/lone (few) survivors fiction junkie. For years, it's been nuclear strikes or freak natural disasters that dominate the genre. Lately, though, EMP and massive invasion have almost taken over the genre. This is my first dive into the EMP pool, so to speak.

Overall, the book is good, not great. There are some issues with editing -- incorrect word usage, repetition, telling not showing, "off page" events -- that make it impossible to give this more than three stars.

It manages to keep three stars because I spent more than ten minutes after finishing the book wondering if I should ship myself off to a survivalist camp.

I don't know that I will read the next in the series. Maybe if it's on sale. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 31, 2015 |
If an EMP would happen it would catastrophic to any country.
The book describes clearly what would happen next:
- The first to die
- The groups that will form
- The fights and the gun's importance
- The food...

I have enjoyed reading it, because it details some of the organization needed to keep people calm and organized. ( )
  NelsonFaria | Dec 5, 2015 |
My wife hated this book and couldn't get very far into it. I liked it enough to complete it and to read the second in the series (One Year After). As some of the reviews noted, this book is thin on characterization and plot and is laden with cliches. It is male-centric. Females are barely sketched as real people. If you are a fan of apocalyptic fiction, this book will not rank high on your list. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. The story was good, if a bit repetitious. Characterization was not the best, but it was ok.

Forstchen's book does read like a warning about the dangers of being unprepared for an EMP attack (or any other apocalyptic event) that throws us back to a pre-electricity era. Still, it is a reasonable story, and a warning worth heeding. I would recommend it but would caution the reader to lower his/her expectations. ( )
  rondoctor | Oct 31, 2015 |

William R. Forstchenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barrett, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gingrich, NewtForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughter, Megan Marie Forstchen...and for those who protect her, that she may grow up in peace. And for my father, John Joseph Forstchen, who taught me what should truly be valued in life.
John Matherson lifted the plastic bag off the counter.

William R. Forstchen tells a story that might be all too terrifyingly real. A story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war that sends our nation back to the Dark Ages.

A war lost because of a terrifying weapon, an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP).

And it may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read. It has been discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a realistic look at EMPs and their awesome ability to send catastrophic shockwaves throughout the United States, literally within seconds. It is a weapon that The Wall Street Journal warned could shatter our nation. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail-Safe, and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future... and our end.

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP).  A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:35 -0400)

One man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war based upon an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) weapon that will send America back to the Dark Ages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,255,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible