Pete's a Pizza by William Steig

Pete's a Pizza

by William Steig

7423412,554 (4)3
Recently added bykatie, private library, jgslibrary, rmstaff, gardnerschool, ensorsbooks, CherylStanke

I have very mixed feelings about this story. First of all, the writing was not descriptive and was convoluted at times. For example, the sentence "Pete can't answer because he's only some dough and stuff" is very poorly constructed and is not a good sentence to use as a model for children's writing. There are some terms in this story that are most likely too complex for young children to understand. An elementary school student probably does not know what talcum powder is and how it could be used as a substitute for flour in the "human pizza". The plot of the story also seemed a bit odd to me. The boy was sad because it was too rainy to play outside, so his parents turned him into a pizza as a fun game. However, this plot also promotes abstract thinking in children. The family created a fun game for the sad boy on the spot. Children can read this book and learn to think more creatively by coming up with fun games to play. The pizza game in this story helps children make connections between the game and making a pizza in reality, which helps children learn how to follow a specific procedure. This game does not seem realistic or believable for the average family, but it is a cute idea for a story. The big idea of this story is that there are always ways to have fun, even when plans fall through. This is a good message for children and inspires them to think outside of the box when coming up with games to play. While the plot of the book may seem a bit odd and some of the sentences may be weak, the child-friendly educational message that the story provides makes reading this story worthwhile. ( )
  NicoleFrankel | Sep 6, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because the plot is silly yet believable, and the main has a conflict that is solved. Pete the main character is bored and sad so his parents make him into a pretend pizza to cheer him up. They put "tomatoes on him" which are actually checkers. I didn't like this book, because it there wasn't much beyond the plot, it didn't make the reader think or adopt new ideas. Finally, the think the writing is unique and simple enough for younger kids to understand. There is a pattern for every topping the patterns put on pete and it is just like making a pizza. This book's message is one can solve a problem of being bored and have fun with family. Its a fun/silly read. ( )
  baileywysong | Sep 5, 2016 |
I liked the book "Pete's a Pizza". The illustrations of this book are very important because the writer uses imagination. If they writer hand not included the illustrations the reader would not know how Pete was becoming a pizza. Additionally, I liked the characters. While we aren't given much information about them, they are simple enough to understand that they are part of a supportive family. The big idea of this book is that parents will help cheer you up.
  may_tay_kay | May 3, 2016 |
This book was interesting because it took a negative and made it into a positive. Pete was upset because it was raining and he couldn't play ball so his dad decided to make him into a pizza. Pete's dad cheers him up and at the end the sun comes out and he can finally go play ball. I can use this in my classroom if maybe some kids are struggling with their relationship with their parents and also how we can take something that is going wrong in our lives and find good in each situation. ( )
  rpridmore | Mar 9, 2016 |
What a fun book that shows how parents can make you feel better just by playing imagination with you! This book will surely make anyone laugh! ( )
  TeresaCruz | Nov 17, 2014 |
For Maggie, my original pizza
Pete's in a bad mood. Just when he's supposed to play ball with the guys, it decides to rain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062051571, Hardcover)

Pete's father starts kneading the dough. Next, some oil is generously applied. (Its really water.) And then some tomatoes. (They're really checkers.) When the dough gets tickled, it laughs like crazy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:07 -0400)

When Pete feels miserable because rain makes it impossible to play ball outdoors, his father finds a fun indoor game to play with his son.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,279,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible