Pitch Dark by Renata Adler

Pitch Dark (1983)

by Renata Adler

But the nearest analogue, as a business, to the law lies not in business but in the military, as it prepares for war.

There was all the difference in the world between the beneficiaries of what they were on the boards of and anyone who actually depended on them.

How many thought that she was going to be raped? Seriously, though. The narrator goes off by herself to a foreign country only to drive around in the middle of the night and interact with a lot of shifty men, and not once during the whole of it does she get raped. Her thought processes and justified paranoia focus on possible abuses of her person, true, but they are for the most part judicially and/or economically based. Maybe her being a woman was not supposed to play as big a role in the narrative as that, but considering how this meditation on law and free will and the eternal bet has been served up as a "love story", why not go the whole nine yards objectification-wise?

So there is this pressure now, on every sentence, not just to say what it has to say, but to justify its claim upon our time.

I was listening to a group in one of my classes riddle on the ethicality of states taxing the lottery when one person attempted to indict the lottery entirely by talking about the encouragement of gambling addiction. A fair point, but if you want that argument to float here in the US, talk to me when you've taken on credit scores and the stock market. Those mainstays of livelihood are just two stigmas birthed by that "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality that today has evolved into that right person at the right place at the right time for that right interview for that right career for that right income for the right amount sufficient for not living on the streets. Today's politicians have the legal right to lie and none whatsoever for the guarantee to water, which shows our priorities when it comes to crime and punishment.

But we do not normally mistake progressions of weakness, the loss of the simple capacity to escape, for the onset of love.

It does not surprise me Adler has a degree in law, but it does surprise me that she writes so candidly about what that really means. See, it's all a matter of money, but no one's allowed to talk about it or allude to it or give those who enforce it anything less than a free pass to abuse these rights they so assiduously protect. What's left is a don't-poke-the-sleeping-bear awareness, or if you do make damn sure you have all the documents, all the legal fees, all the personal connections, and all the time in the world. Justice isn't a science, but considering the vaster quantity of lives and, much more value in the US these days, financial welfare at stake, you'd think it'd depend less on cash-fueled theatrics and jargon-dismembered story time.

And yet if you have acquired a profound aversion for just such a place simply because of an obstacle that once was there, or an incapacity to discern that the obstacle no longer exists, or an indifference as to whether it exists or not, or if the habit of pointless jumping, or detour, or even turning back dejected has become for you the path itself, or if you have a superstitious need to treat the spot as though the obstacle remained, or even a belief that the discovery that the obstacle is gone is in itself a punishable offence, if any of these things is true for you, then you are lost.

It's [The Trial], except with more emphasis on be kind/helpful/amazing/resourceful to everyone, you never know who'll clear your way to Heaven but you're damn certain who's biblically equipped to reduce your life to a zero-sum of a single fuck up and send you straight to Hell.

The courts may only consider concrete, instant cases that actually, concretely come before them—and even those cases can be brought only by those who have “standing” to bring them, in other words, by the actual participants, with the most vital and demonstrable interest in the case.

Ideally, in other words, in its historical dimension, such a problem appears to have existed forever; and in its contemporary manifestation to be inextricable from every other problem in the world. Ideally, too, there should have grown up, over time, a number of industries and professions nominally dedicated to the eradication of the problem but actually committed, consciously or unconsciously, but almost inevitably out of self-interest, to the perpetuation of the problem, and any misconceptions of it, for all time.

"...negotiating with Jake for time, for attention, and for love" my ass.

Or not worry about it, after all, everybody has them. And cars are dangerous, germs are dangerous, writing is dangerous, and reviewing is dangerous, and editing is dangerous, and some of those doctors were. So I’m not a coward or a hypochondriac so much, with respect anyway to risks of certain others. I’ve taken on a bully or two, in my professional capacity, and on occasions of another sort risked my physical self. But this buying of a gun, this simple, in some ways quotidian purchase, is the most extreme, the worst, most extremest, I can’t find the word for it, thing I’ve ever done.

In those days, she said, we still believed in publicity, that it matters. She laughed again. I said, What do you mean? What do you now think matters? And she said, Violence.
3 vote Korrick | Oct 23, 2014 |
Review published in 3:AM Magazine: http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/century-of-dislocation/
Do I need to stylize it, then, or can I tell it as it was?… Is that where it begins? I don’t know. I don’t know where it begins. It is where I am.These lines, from the opening pages of Renata Adler’s second novel, Pitch Dark (1983), should rightly be read as a self-reflexive rumination on the fragmented and nonlinear prose style in her two fictional works, an endeavor to centralize the act of storytelling (and, with it, the conflicts between objectivity and subjectivity) begun by Adler when Speedboat was published in 1976. The impact of Speedboat upon writers as diverse as David Foster Wallace, Elizabeth Hardwick, and David Shields proves its status as a sui generis text. As Guy Trebay notes: Speedboat … stamp[s] contemporary consciousness with its singular mark. Because the book prefigured by decades certain telegraphic forms of communication we now take for granted, it is easy to miss the point that Speedboat got there well before e-mails or Facebook or Twitter.Because Speedboat in effect reinvented the novel with its unique mix of vignettes, kaleidoscopic and panoramic reportage, and a presciently liberal social commentary, Adler’s prefiguration of how contemporary life is ingested in—and therefore best understood by—fragments represents a stylistic shift in narration. As such, Speedboat is a seminal text in the history of the literary novel’s evolution. Now that it and its companion novel Pitch Dark have been reissued by the New York Review of Books after being out of print for some twenty-five years, one can read these texts anew, posit their importance to experimental fiction written in the wake of Speedboat, and also admire Adler’s gift for incisive social and personal insights that are still relevant and resonant to this day.

Both Speedboat’s and Pitch Dark’s narrators are reporters. In the former novel, Jen Fain shifts back and forth in time as she relates experiences at boarding school, graduate school, cocktail parties with academics, interviews conducted with people of different classes and races in her capacity as reporter, and the political conflicts that affect a liberal, bohemian social clique whose globetrotting always brings them back to Manhattan as if the city were a magnet. (These experiences are also Kate Ennis’s in Pitch Dark, but the later novel focuses more on Ennis’s psychological conflict than on the more external factors with which Speedboat is concerned.) As Adler eschews plot almost entirely, the vignettes Jen Fain offers form a whole only as one reads. Muriel Spark observes how, when reading Adler’s prose, “[y]ou have to piece it together as you would if you had picked up a stranger’s private journal.”

Although Speedboat is more of a public chronicle than a private document like Pitch Dark, it is still very much a subjective view of city life and how this affects an individual’s consciousness. Fain observes: “I find that many city people give their most minute attention to the ethics of found objects, small.” In many ways, this is one of the pressing issues in Speedboat: how the mundane encounters in our lives—the bureaucratic idiocies at the institution where Fain serves as an adjunct; telephone calls from PBS soliciting donations; international phone calls with bad connections, effectively rendering them party-lines (as Matthew Specktor has also termed Adler’s prose style in his piece in The Believer); the political and intimate disconnect one has with one’s lovers—are like pieces in a puzzle which can never be placed together into a concrete whole, and yet, if we are to make sense of our individuality, must somehow be mapped on to our subjectivities, even if our attempts fail: “Something lost in translation there, perhaps. Everywhere.”

And while “[p]eople seem to be unhappy in so many different ways,” Fain must incorporate the fragments of other people’s experiences in order to fathom her own. In this way, “the inevitable is being interrupted by strangers all the time,” thus affecting the narrative we attempt to construct for ourselves:The plot of things separating, not so common, disintegration, breaking up. The plot of one thing following in the track of another, as in thrillers, chases. The plot of things parallel. Suspense, which has time as an obstacle to a resolution in the future. Nostalgia, which has time as an obstacle to a resolution in the past. Maybe there are stories, even, like solitaire or canasta: they are shuffled and dealt, then they do or do not come out.Also affecting our narratives are, as Trebay believes Adler presages, our modes of communication and travel, which combine to further displace us from other people despite how necessary they are to the task of trying to understand our identities in relation to the world in which we live: “The jet, the telephone, the boat, the train, the television. Dislocations.”

Pitch Dark takes dislocation as its main theme. Like Jen Fain, Pitch Dark’s Kate Ennis is a reporter, and, to some extent, the social, cultural, and political background with which Speedboat deals is one the reader must keep in mind when reading Pitch Dark. Due to this, the two novels read as companion pieces, with the first-person narrators blending into each other, complete with shared experiences and a common worldview. (Indeed, in the second section of Pitch Dark, the narrator even becomes Adler herself, causing Spark to wonder: “Does Miss Adler mean to suggest that she herself is Kate Ennis?”)

Ennis’s main conflict in Adler’s second novel is whether to leave a married man with whom she has been having an affair for eight years. More poetic in both style and depth than Speedboat, Pitch Dark uses repetition to convey the circuitous meanderings of its narrator as she ponders whether or not to leave Jake (a conflict and character name that allude to Penelope Mortimer’s The Pumpkin Eater). Two oft-repeated refrains that get to the heart of Ennis’s mental state throughout the course of Pitch Dark are as follows:You are, you know, you were the nearest thing to a real story to happen in my life.

Did I throw the most important thing perhaps, by accident, away?And while Ennis muses on her past with Jake, her present is sullied by the fact that her identity—and Pitch Dark is very much Ennis’s quest for autonomy—is subsumed beneath Jake’s as well as the other events in her life. In her attempt to excavate herself, Kate’s internal journey is mirrored by an external one that moves from Manhattan to New York State, from Orcas Island to the Irish countryside.

Increasingly, Ennis’s travels give rise to feelings of paranoia and both cultural and self-dislocation: “I still have the sense, how to put this, that the land, even the sleeping country towns, know of me.” The titular section of Pitch Dark is the most plot-driven, but it is still very much interior in focus as Ennis deals with an ever-mounting sense of panic after a slight fender bender in a tiny Irish town, an incident that becomes a Kafkaesque nightmare involving a lorry driver as a bizarre “teamster” in a middle-of-the-night motorway ride to Dublin in a rented vehicle Ennis feels sure is under police scrutiny and which has hardly any gas in the tank. Spark is spot-on when she remarks of this section: “This is a superb piece of nightmare writing.”

Like Jen Fain in Speedboat, Kate Ennis discovers that to think of the self as unaffected by one’s environment is a flawed endeavor; to this end, both narrators realize that the act of storytelling in which the “I” is front and center risks missing material or else running against the problem of how to incorporate it: “Because it would be part of what I know, part of what I have to tell, that I understand something, not everything, but something…” In this way, the quote with which I began this piece comes to suggest that a fragmented, solipsistic style is the best way to unearth one’s identity from the events that shape (and sometimes destroy) it. Describing a diary she kept in her twenties, Ennis observes:The penmanship was fine, still those clear, regular capitals. But the record was of moods. There were no events, few names, no facts, no indication of what happened… What few names there were appeared uncharacterized, and not part of any incident or sentence; and the moods were described only to the extent of being up or down, like a chart of the stock market or of an illness… The events simply were not there, and, more surprisingly, I could not reconstruct them.The collective anxiety of Manhattan life portrayed in Speedboat, along with the more personal anxiety and paranoia experienced by Kate Ennis in Pitch Dark, are ones that are still resoundingly relatable to our lives today. As Specktor writes:[Adler’s] work hasn’t dated: its depth of engagement on every level—with private life and the life of state—its comedy and perspective, its shrewd observation of everything from literature to politics to manners and back again, these qualities mark Adler’s work as fathomless, as damn near inexhaustible.Adler’s work is an analysis of the individual in ”an age of crime,” as she phrases it in Pitch Dark, one in which “[v]ery few of us, it seems fair to say, are morally at ease.” As Jen Fain remarks in Speedboat, as she attempts to quell mass hysteria on a tiny charter plane “start[ing] down the runway of the Fishers Island airport”: “For flights I have these pills. … I counted and found I had enough painkilling pills for everyone.” Substitute Xanax for the Valium and Percodan scattered throughout Speedboat and Pitch Dark, and one has our world today, a world in which external realities affect our inner states of mind, a world we inhabit with others whose differences in some way become part of our own story: “As much as this is the age of crime, after all, this is the century of dislocation. Not just for journalists or refugees: for everyone.” ( )
1 vote proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |

What's new. What else. What next. What's happened here. Pitch Dark, Renata Adler's follow up to her prizewinning novel Speedboat, is a book of questions. It is also a book of false starts, red herrings, misunderstandings, and all too fleeting revelations. Kate Ennis is poised at a critical moment in her affair with a married lover, a fraught relationship that reverberates throughout the novel, as it moves from Kate's house in rural Connecticut and her New York City brownstone apartment, to a small island off the coast of Washington, and to an utterly dark road in a remote corner of Ireland. Told in Adler's celebrated fragmented style, and constructed from the bare bones language of everyday life, Pitch Dark transcends its parts to come to the kind of self knowledge achievable only after a relentless quest.… (more)

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,458,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible