Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

Pygmy (2009)

by Chuck Palahniuk

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (fugitive)
    fugitive: I make this recommendation primarily based on the unique artificial dialects created by both Palahniuk and Burgess.
    The Mysteries of Algiers by Robert Irwin (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Narrative from a twisted, terroristic, undercover anti-protagonist
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (souci)
    souci: Actually a better look at fractured English.
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (fugitive)
    fugitive: The protagonist uses a fractured, and manufactured language which takes some getting used to.

I love the satire on Americana and our collective jingoism and xenophobia. However, the dialogue, while initially interesting, became very tedious and the gimmick wore thin early on in the novel. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 29, 2015 |
As a religious reader of Palahniuk's books, I have to say that this one was something of a disappointment. The pidgin used throughout makes the book very difficult to read. I actually had to give up and listen to the audio book.

That being said, it's not bad. I just feel that it is something of a puff piece. It's funny and interesting, but there's just not a lot going on. I also felt that nothing was particularly original. I felt I'd heard it all before.

It's short and worth the time, but not his best work. ( )
  Juva | Mar 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At the time I attempted to read this I was a pretty big Palahniuk fan. This was trash. Go read Clockwork Orange if you want to experience an author playing with dialects. Stay the heck away from this. ( )
  jordan7hm | Mar 8, 2015 |
As a big Palahniuk fan this was the only book of his that I couldn't even finish despite trying to push myself to do so. I don't know what to say besides it was a mess. I get the general concept and what he was trying to pull off but it was just so poorly executed. ( )
  morgantaylor | Oct 10, 2014 |
Not Chuck P. at his best. Though it gives an interesting portrayal inside of the mind of a would be terrorist... maybe a third of the way through it becomes formulaic and rather redundant. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Readers of Palahniuk’s excellent early work (“Fight Club,” “Invisible Mon­sters”) will sense a shallow, phoned-in quality to his new novel. Despite its transgressive trappings and cultural-­critique posturing, “Pygmy” is as defanged as Marilyn Manson.

For all its satirical tail-swallowing, however, the novel's strongest currents of feeling swirl around the hero's experiences in the education system. Behind the often quite funny overkill and casually exiguous plot, it's essentially a fantasy about being a small, picked-on outsider in high school while fancying yourself a secret agent on a mission of revenge.

Sloppy yet smart, Chuck Palahniuk's "Pygmy" veers from sublimely ridiculous to just plain ridiculous, sometimes within a single paragraph.

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. - Adolf Hitler.
To Amy Hempel - There is no other cheese.
Begins here first account of operative me, agent number 67,
on arrival Midwestern American airport greater ##### area.
All beauty created of the deity eventual to pass through American mouth, viscera, excreted anus.
Perhaps true profound affection defined by no entering vagina without consent.
Thank you, much esteemed madam living skeleton.

Pygmy -- a young adult from a totalitarian state, disguised as an exchange student -- plans a terrorist attack and depicts U.S. Midwestern life through the eyes of a hateful, indoctrinated little killer, in a satire of American xenophobia.

524 wanted7 pay6 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,896,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible