Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl

Fantastic Mr. Fox (1970)

by Roald Dahl

The Fox Busters by Dick King-Smith (Polenth)
    Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (themulhern)
    themulhern: Kipling's animal stories are generally more sentimental and often more talky than "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Frequently, humans are very prominent and the animals are in a position of devoted servitude. But the short story "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" is quick moving and exciting, and the little mongoose who is the protagonist is a very independent character.… (more)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (sturlington)

English (87)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (89)
Narrated by Chris O'Dowd! Actor O'Dowd's performance is lively and humorous, vividly rendering all the characters, human and animal. Occasional sound effects add to the ambience. Pack this for the family road trip. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 3, 2016 |
Can't recall if I read this as a kid but I recently saw the movie and decided to read the book. Kids will enjoy this as a read on their own or as a readaloud. The movie added on many layers of angst and complexity of character which made it exceedingly sophisticated for a kids' movie, but the book itself is a simple and entertaining story about a clever fox who outwits the greedy farmers. And that's just enough for young readers. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
great story, great movie ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Mr Fox lives with his wife and children on the hillside near to three incompetent farmers – Boggis, Bunce and Bean. He’s a cunning hunter (well, he is a fox!) who provides amply for his family, much to the irritation of the farmers, from whose farms he gets his supplies. Boggis, Bunce and Bean have had enough, and they vow to starve the fox family out of their den. But Mr Fox has a plan – and together with the other inhabitants of the hill he plans a feast fit for kings. Will Fox’s plan prevail or will the farmers achieve their aim?

I enjoyed this Dahl book very much, and as ever I adore the Quentin Blake illustrations. ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
Unfortunately, this was not my favorite Roald Dahl story. However, I do think that it teaches the wonderful lesson of working together to accomplish tasks and always helping those that you can. Usually, I love that Dahl's stories create a new world that I wish I could be part of, however, this story does not transplant me to that other world as the other ones have. In addition, I do not like that the story in many ways over glorifies alcohol consumption and I do not think that it is appropriate to read this story to children as the young foxes in the book drink hard cider and are enamored by it. I think this would be a fun story to read out loud to kids, as it is short and the lessons it teaches advocate for group work to solve problems while also being your own savior, however, the alcohol consumption would have to be addressed. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Aug 23, 2015 |

Dahl, Roaldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chaffin, DonaldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lampell, DonnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Olivia
Down in the valley there were three farms.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410349, Paperback)

In the tradition of The Adventures of Peter Rabbit, this is a "garden tale" of farmer versus vermin, or vice versa. The farmers in this case are a vaguely criminal team of three stooges: "Boggis and Bunce and Bean / One fat, one short, one lean. / These horrible crooks / So different in looks / Were nonetheless equally mean." Whatever their prowess as poultry farmers, within these pages their sole objective is the extermination of our hero--the noble, the clever, the Fantastic Mr. Fox. Our loyalties are defined from the start; after all, how could you cheer for a man named Bunce who eats his doughnuts stuffed with mashed goose livers? As one might expect, the farmers in this story come out smelling like ... well, what farmers occasionally do smell like.

This early Roald Dahl adventure is great for reading aloud to three- to seven-year-olds, who will be delighted to hear that Mr. Fox keeps his family one step ahead of the obsessed farmers. When they try to dig him out, he digs faster; when they lay siege to his den, he tunnels to where the farmers least expect him--their own larders! In the end, Mr. Fox not only survives, but also helps the whole community of burrowing creatures live happily ever after. With his usual flourish, Dahl evokes a magical animal world that, as children, we always knew existed, had we only known where or how to look for it. (Great read aloud for any age; written at a 9- to 12-year-old reading level)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:11 -0400)

The adventures of Mr. Fox and three mean farmers who want to destroy the fox and his family.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141307536, 0140322086, 0141805641, 0141322659, 0141807873, 0141329106, 0141333200

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,150,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible