Fantastic Mr. Fox. by Roald Dahl

Fantastic Mr. Fox. (original 1970; edition 1970)

by Roald Dahl, Donald Chaffin (Illustrator)

Member:sjeohp
Title:Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Donald Chaffin (Illustrator)
Info:Bantam Skylark (1970), Paperback, 81 pages

Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl (1970)

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (themulhern)
    themulhern: Kipling's animal stories are generally more sentimental and often more talky than "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Frequently, humans are very prominent and the animals are in a position of devoted servitude. But the short story "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" is quick moving and exciting, and the little mongoose who is the protagonist is a very independent character.… (more)
    The Fox Busters by Dick King-Smith (Polenth)
    The Tale of Mr. Tod by Beatrix Potter (amanda4242)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (sturlington)

English (105)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (108)
Poor Mr. Fox and his beautiful tail. At least he is still a FANTASTIC FOX.

This book was read in maybe 15 minutes, but it was a delightful read. Not a lot happened in it. The illustrations were cute, the story quite classical, and I really did think Mr. Fox to be quite fantastic. That is the most you can ask of such a story. I'd love to read this out loud to someone.

Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Fantastic Mr. Fox is a quick, clever, funny novel that is perfect for kids who don't want to read traditional chapter books (think Magic Treehouse) anymore, but who need something on basically the same level. This is one of my absolute favorite stories. It can easily be read in under an hour, and probably by most 2nd grade readers, but is so deliciously Dahl that older students will love revisiting it! ( )
  PattyHoward | Apr 24, 2018 |
Love Raold Dahl--he's brilliant! The book is great--I loved the movie when I saw it several years ago. Have slowly been chipping away at reading Dahl's works. This one will rank up in my favorites!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Apr 9, 2018 |
I read this aloud to my five- and seven-year-old daughters. We all loved it. My only (small) complaint is the ending. We watched the movie afterwards; kind of weird, and deviates from the book a lot (even more than the typical adaptation), but my kids liked it. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book!
  LynneQuan | Jan 30, 2018 |

Dahl, Roaldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chaffin, DonaldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lampell, DonnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Olivia
Down in the valley there were three farms.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410349, Paperback)

In the tradition of The Adventures of Peter Rabbit, this is a "garden tale" of farmer versus vermin, or vice versa. The farmers in this case are a vaguely criminal team of three stooges: "Boggis and Bunce and Bean / One fat, one short, one lean. / These horrible crooks / So different in looks / Were nonetheless equally mean." Whatever their prowess as poultry farmers, within these pages their sole objective is the extermination of our hero--the noble, the clever, the Fantastic Mr. Fox. Our loyalties are defined from the start; after all, how could you cheer for a man named Bunce who eats his doughnuts stuffed with mashed goose livers? As one might expect, the farmers in this story come out smelling like ... well, what farmers occasionally do smell like.

This early Roald Dahl adventure is great for reading aloud to three- to seven-year-olds, who will be delighted to hear that Mr. Fox keeps his family one step ahead of the obsessed farmers. When they try to dig him out, he digs faster; when they lay siege to his den, he tunnels to where the farmers least expect him--their own larders! In the end, Mr. Fox not only survives, but also helps the whole community of burrowing creatures live happily ever after. With his usual flourish, Dahl evokes a magical animal world that, as children, we always knew existed, had we only known where or how to look for it. (Great read aloud for any age; written at a 9- to 12-year-old reading level)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:11 -0400)

The adventures of Mr. Fox and three mean farmers who want to destroy the fox and his family.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141307536, 0141322659, 0141807873, 0141329106, 0141333200

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,528,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible