Green Rider by Kristen Britain

Green Rider (original 1998; edition 2008)

by Kristen Britain

Title:Green Rider
Authors:Kristen Britain
Info:DAW Trade (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Tags:britain, fantasy, YA, heroines

Green Rider by Kristen Britain (1998)

Recently added bySubrosaIlion, LaPhenix, Starstruck, Vinbert, Legacy88, private library, Jawin, mojo09226, sly.and.wise

English (48)  French (1)  All languages (49)
A great adventure story with a strong lead character, and an exciting plot. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
I didn't finish this. I may have been biased by seeing some other negative reviews, and this was the last book in my vacation pile.

The story telling didn't grab me, but there are some nice images, and potential.

Too much of a stumble into situation, helped by others, heroine seems average, but isn't, has heroic moments, and then passive naive ones. I needed more especially if it's a series. ( )
  MattMattYS | Nov 2, 2015 |
A librarian friend lent me her copy, and I loved it so much that I bought my own! Awesome female characters, adventure, and horses. ( )
  Dandeggan | Jun 26, 2015 |
I absolutely adore this book. Karigan is such a fun and quirky heroine, who spends a lot of her time simply scared and confused. Britain also doesn't avoid the grittier scenes. She's not afraid to put her heroine in the middle of a forest at night while it's raining, and she's being chased by people who want to kill her and take the message she vowed to a dying man that she would deliver directly to the king. There's just enough humor to make the book fun, while still showing the heroine's true feelings (which very often include fear, frustration, and discomfort). What a wonderful adventure! ( )
  Misty-Rose | May 30, 2015 |
I found this very hard going. The concept was like catnip to me, but the writing and the pacing spoiled things. The writing was often clunky, over-explaining and clumsy. The pacing was off, so that there were long periods in the middle of the book that were tiring and dull to read.

It's not a terrible book, it's just not great either. I don't think I'll be re-reading it, and I probably won't get the next one.

But look at that cover! Gorgeous. ( )
1 vote Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
For my parents
The granite was cold and rough against the gray-cloaked man's palms.

The Magickal Messenger

On her long journey home from school after a fight which will surely lead to her expulsion, Karigan G'ladheon ponders her future as she trudges through the immense forext called Green Cloak. But her thoughts are interrupted by the clattering of hooves, as a galloping horse bursts from the woods the rider slumped over his mount's neck, impaled by two black-shafted arrows. As the young man lies dying on the road, he tells Karigan that he is a Green Rider, one of the legendary messengers of the king, and that he bears a "life and death" message for King Zachary.
He begs Karigan to carry his message, warning her not to read it, and when she reluctantly agrees, he makes her swear on his sword to complete his mission "for love of her country." as he bestows upon her the golden winged-horse brooch which is the symbol of the office, he whispers on his dying breath, "Beware the shadow man..."
Karigan's promise changes her life forever. Pursued by unknown assassins, following a path only her horse seems to know, and accompanied by the silent specter of the original messenger, she herself becomes a legendary Green Rider. Caught up in a world of deadly danger and complex magic, compelled by forces she cannot understand, Karigan is hounded by dark beings bent on seeing that the message, and its reluctant carrier, never reach their destination.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0886778581, Mass Market Paperback)

This fat fantasy is the author's first published novel. Although the typical back cover quotes from Anne McCaffrey and Marion Zimmer Bradley overpraise it somewhat--"stunning," "terrific," "classic"--it's a good, highly readable debut. Kristen Britain tells her story at a headlong pace and with considerable charm. Young heroine Karigan hardly has time to regret being expelled from school (for dueling) before finding herself committed to the desperate errand of a murdered Green Rider. The Riders are an elite messenger corps using both horses and magic; the message is a terrible warning. Bad things from bad places are invading this fantasyland, their presence being only part of a devious, sorcery-aided human struggle for the throne. Karigan's wild ride is beset by a variety of enemies, but aided by her own developing talents plus certain strange allies. These include the tormented ghost of the dead Green Rider himself--still pierced by and trying to resist the chief villain's black arrows that ensnare the soul. Delivering the message to a suspicious court is only half Karigan's job: can it be interpreted in time? The pages turn fast, the heroine is likeable and the villains hissable, and all ends as it should. Nice one. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

Heading home from school, Karigan G'ladheon encounters a dying "Green Rider", one of the king's messengers, who begs her to complete his mission. She reluctantly agrees and finds herself caught in a world of dangerous magic and even more dangerous enemies.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible