Green Rider by Kristen Britain

Green Rider (original 1998; edition 2008)

by Kristen Britain

Member:Menshevixen
Title:Green Rider
Authors:Kristen Britain
Info:DAW Trade (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:***
Tags:britain, fantasy, YA, heroines

Green Rider by Kristen Britain (1998)

English (51)  French (1)  All languages (52)
This is the beginning of a fantasy series with Riders who uses long lost magic and a kingdom on the brink of war. A good start is what I would say.

Karigan was a brave young woman who left her school cos she fought an aristocrat and she was only a merchant daughter. Not fair at all. When she then met the Rider she could have said no (of course the magic urged her on), but she wanted to do what was right and she also wanted an adventure. And that she sure got because on her journey she met funny old ladies, monsters, bandits, and saw the how angry the people in the north are. I liked her because even though it got tough she never gave up. Then we have the evil guys. The king’s brother wants the throne and the Grey Man uses magic to make people do his will. He is an evil killer and he has also made a crack in a wall that separates the badlands from the rest of the world. I liked the Grey Man, as much as one can like an evil guy. He was just a good bad guy. All evil and nothing at all to like about him.

The kingdom has lost its magic. There are still some magic left and the Green Riders uses some of it. I always do like when magic is lost and found again. And these Riders risk everything and still they are only seen as messengers, but they have a calling that they follow.

I have to say that there is a hint about romance. I truly mean a hint, one flutter in her heart, but I have hope for more in coming books.

A good start with likeable heroine who says what she wants to say. There is adventure, wild rides, magic and a race to save a kingdom. I will read more to see what happens next and I do like a fantasy series with a fantasy series that is normal. Not too tough, not soft, but still willing to do what is right.
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
An entertaining book that has something of a Lord of the Rings feel to it, complemented by Britain's own unique concepts. This is the first of a series. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
4.5 stars

Green Rider is the sort of book where the pages simply turn themselves. Great start to a series, which owes more than a passing nod to Tolkien, but that's ok as the author manages to make the material her own and spin it into an original story. Britain writes a good solid storyline which held my attention from beginning to end and I'm very much looking forward to reading the next installment in the series. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
A great adventure story with a strong lead character, and an exciting plot. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
I didn't finish this. I may have been biased by seeing some other negative reviews, and this was the last book in my vacation pile.

The story telling didn't grab me, but there are some nice images, and potential.

Too much of a stumble into situation, helped by others, heroine seems average, but isn't, has heroic moments, and then passive naive ones. I needed more especially if it's a series. ( )
  MattMattYS | Nov 2, 2015 |
For my parents
The granite was cold and rough against the gray-cloaked man's palms.

The Magickal Messenger

On her long journey home from school after a fight which will surely lead to her expulsion, Karigan G'ladheon ponders her future as she trudges through the immense forext called Green Cloak. But her thoughts are interrupted by the clattering of hooves, as a galloping horse bursts from the woods the rider slumped over his mount's neck, impaled by two black-shafted arrows. As the young man lies dying on the road, he tells Karigan that he is a Green Rider, one of the legendary messengers of the king, and that he bears a "life and death" message for King Zachary.
He begs Karigan to carry his message, warning her not to read it, and when she reluctantly agrees, he makes her swear on his sword to complete his mission "for love of her country." as he bestows upon her the golden winged-horse brooch which is the symbol of the office, he whispers on his dying breath, "Beware the shadow man..."
Karigan's promise changes her life forever. Pursued by unknown assassins, following a path only her horse seems to know, and accompanied by the silent specter of the original messenger, she herself becomes a legendary Green Rider. Caught up in a world of deadly danger and complex magic, compelled by forces she cannot understand, Karigan is hounded by dark beings bent on seeing that the message, and its reluctant carrier, never reach their destination.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0886778581, Mass Market Paperback)

This fat fantasy is the author's first published novel. Although the typical back cover quotes from Anne McCaffrey and Marion Zimmer Bradley overpraise it somewhat--"stunning," "terrific," "classic"--it's a good, highly readable debut. Kristen Britain tells her story at a headlong pace and with considerable charm. Young heroine Karigan hardly has time to regret being expelled from school (for dueling) before finding herself committed to the desperate errand of a murdered Green Rider. The Riders are an elite messenger corps using both horses and magic; the message is a terrible warning. Bad things from bad places are invading this fantasyland, their presence being only part of a devious, sorcery-aided human struggle for the throne. Karigan's wild ride is beset by a variety of enemies, but aided by her own developing talents plus certain strange allies. These include the tormented ghost of the dead Green Rider himself--still pierced by and trying to resist the chief villain's black arrows that ensnare the soul. Delivering the message to a suspicious court is only half Karigan's job: can it be interpreted in time? The pages turn fast, the heroine is likeable and the villains hissable, and all ends as it should. Nice one. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

Heading home from school, Karigan G'ladheon encounters a dying "Green Rider", one of the king's messengers, who begs her to complete his mission. She reluctantly agrees and finds herself caught in a world of dangerous magic and even more dangerous enemies.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible