Green Rider by Kristen Britain

Green Rider (original 1998; edition 2008)

by Kristen Britain

Member:Menshevixen
Title:Green Rider
Authors:Kristen Britain
Info:DAW Trade (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:***
Tags:britain, fantasy, YA, heroines

Green Rider by Kristen Britain (Author) (1998)

English (56)  French (1)  All (57)
This book falls into what I would call the "standard fantasy" category, but personally I find it to be a unique enough story to keep my interest. The main character, running away from school after being expelled, stumbles across a royal messenger with two arrows in his back and agrees to deliver the message to the king. One thing I really appreciate is that it's made clear that Karrigan, the main character, could not have accomplished her task without all of the help she receives along the way. Some of it feels a little contrived in convenience- the Berry sisters, the eagle- and others leave one wondering why Karrigan receives certain help but not the original messenger given the task. That said, the world feels bigger than we see and functional, whole; the characters are interesting, and though the hints at romance are a little blah, they never come close to overshadowing the actual plot. And The Horse makes me temporarily forget that I am actually terrified of horses in real life, which is a feat.

I definitely recommend this to any fantasy fans, with the caveat that it is the first book in a series and so suffers from some of the standard first book issues, but it's interesting and unique enough to be well worth the read. ( )
  stormyhearted | Feb 5, 2017 |
I thought that Green Rider was a well written YA fantasy with a strong female lead character.
Karigan G'ladheon is fleeing from her school, where she has just been suspended, to her home, but along the way she encounters a dying Green Rider. The man has been shot with two black arrows. This Green Rider, one of the King's elite messenger service, with his dying breath, manages to convince Karigan that she must complete his mission and deliver the message he's carrying to the King. She agrees and is soon fleeing the very assassins that shot the Green Rider.

The world was a fairly interesting one as Karigan's own mission is set in the backdrop of political unrest in the kingdom of Sacoridia. A situation that is complicated even further by the fact that an evil mage has just damaged the magical wall that has protected the humans from the evil creatures that lurk in the Blackveil Forest and is killing Green Riders.

This was nothing special or original, but it was a decent enough read. Karigan was a likable and easy to root for although more then a little headstrong at times. I found the story engaging enough to keep my interest. I am also going to read the next book in the Green Rider series.
Jack Murphy
  urph818 | Feb 5, 2017 |
this is Britain's first novel, and yes, it shows. There are times that you have to shake your head and wonder how long between her reading of Tolkien and her writing her story.

A dire threat is somewhat foiled by a young girl who ends up joining the Green Riders. Green Riders are magic users and completely loyal to the king. 2 more books in this series. Bordered on the young/adult line for me.

Update-This series is now at 4 books with no end in sight. Not recommended until it actually ends... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
While the concept of the "Green Rider," seems pretty original, it is unfortunately about the only aspect of the novel that could be claimed to be so. It also seems to be the only part of the novel Britain spent much time developing before writing the book. The areas in the book where the history, or concept of the Riders is discussed are in depth and fully realized, while the remainder remains less so.
Once again a fantasy novel that puts a random person in the right place at the right time to send them on an adventure they are wholly unprepared for, yet seem to somehow ultimately succeed at.
While I find this style of Fantasy to be overused, it wasn't even the worst part for me. It seemed the main protagonist Karigan was constantly getting into harrowing situation after situation, and would then be rescued by some luck. Typically with a new character entering and saving the day. It seemed a lazy way to introduce characters to the story line, and for the most part, none of the characters introduced came into play except in the one instance, which was to save her, and then give her more information she didn't have before.
It all felt overplayed and redundant. Perhaps these characters come into play later in the series, but regardless, it all felt far to coincidental and trite. Sloppy storytelling. Karigan very rarely got herself out of trouble in the book, and yet by the end was praised as a hero.
Also, as in other fantasy novels of this ilk, Karigan shows clear signs of being out of her element and of very little skills in a fight, and yet somehow by the end of the novel can hold her own against someone who claims to have studied sword skills for over 400 years. Again, lazy storytelling.
The writing had it's moments where it seemed actually good, and then Britain would fall into over-explaining or simplifying mode and the writing would dwindle.
Overall, it was at the very least a decent read, in which I can tell the author was trying to go somewhere, but ultimately failing. Perhaps the series gets better. I would think it would have too, since there are now six books to it. However, this first installment left me fully convinced it ranks as one of the more forgettable fantasy series out there. ( )
1 vote Kiddboyblue | Nov 5, 2016 |
I'm re-reading this series before reading the latest new releease from this author.

Revisiting this book several years after my first reading, I'm still struck by what a strong offering it is by a first-time author. Kristin Britain plops us down in a world with a well-realized mythology, history, and socitey. The plot moves along at a gallop, and the her characters are sympathetic and well done.

Some aspects of this book are a bit rough, but this derives from a new author finding her voice, as her later books show admirably.

In sum, Green Rider is a wonderful first book that serves to introduce the reader to an interesting and vivid world. I recommend this book to any fantasy lover! ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |

Britain, KristenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
The granite was cold and rough against the gray-cloaked man's palms.

The Magickal Messenger

On her long journey home from school after a fight which will surely lead to her expulsion, Karigan G'ladheon ponders her future as she trudges through the immense forext called Green Cloak. But her thoughts are interrupted by the clattering of hooves, as a galloping horse bursts from the woods the rider slumped over his mount's neck, impaled by two black-shafted arrows. As the young man lies dying on the road, he tells Karigan that he is a Green Rider, one of the legendary messengers of the king, and that he bears a "life and death" message for King Zachary.
He begs Karigan to carry his message, warning her not to read it, and when she reluctantly agrees, he makes her swear on his sword to complete his mission "for love of her country." as he bestows upon her the golden winged-horse brooch which is the symbol of the office, he whispers on his dying breath, "Beware the shadow man..."
Karigan's promise changes her life forever. Pursued by unknown assassins, following a path only her horse seems to know, and accompanied by the silent specter of the original messenger, she herself becomes a legendary Green Rider. Caught up in a world of deadly danger and complex magic, compelled by forces she cannot understand, Karigan is hounded by dark beings bent on seeing that the message, and its reluctant carrier, never reach their destination.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0886778581, Mass Market Paperback)

This fat fantasy is the author's first published novel. Although the typical back cover quotes from Anne McCaffrey and Marion Zimmer Bradley overpraise it somewhat--"stunning," "terrific," "classic"--it's a good, highly readable debut. Kristen Britain tells her story at a headlong pace and with considerable charm. Young heroine Karigan hardly has time to regret being expelled from school (for dueling) before finding herself committed to the desperate errand of a murdered Green Rider. The Riders are an elite messenger corps using both horses and magic; the message is a terrible warning. Bad things from bad places are invading this fantasyland, their presence being only part of a devious, sorcery-aided human struggle for the throne. Karigan's wild ride is beset by a variety of enemies, but aided by her own developing talents plus certain strange allies. These include the tormented ghost of the dead Green Rider himself--still pierced by and trying to resist the chief villain's black arrows that ensnare the soul. Delivering the message to a suspicious court is only half Karigan's job: can it be interpreted in time? The pages turn fast, the heroine is likeable and the villains hissable, and all ends as it should. Nice one. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:50 -0400)

Heading home from school, Karigan G'ladheon encounters a dying "Green Rider", one of the king's messengers, who begs her to complete his mission. She reluctantly agrees and finds herself caught in a world of dangerous magic and even more dangerous enemies.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,238,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible