The Quilt Story by Tony Johnston

The Quilt Story (1985)

by Tony Johnston

Summary:
This story is about a little girl who has a quilt made by her mom. This quilt follows her and her family through the pioneer days as they move. It provides her comfort. The quilt is then found by a child in modern times who has the quilt through her families move and it provides her the same comfort.
Personal Reaction:
This book would help many children understand that everyone moves with their families. This quilt shows that comfort can be provided regardless of where you are located. I liked how even the animals enjoyed the quilt.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have each child bring in a piece of fabric of their choice. Then sew together your own classroom quilt that can be placed for children to find comfort within the classroom as well.
  CaitlinJones | Mar 12, 2013 |
A quilt provides comfort for a girl when she moves to a new city. ( )
  tomfriesejr | Dec 16, 2012 |
Summary: A pioneer mother lovingly stitches a beautiful quilt which warms and comforts her daughter Abigal.They use it and then pack it away. Many years later it is found by another girl and she has her mother mend and patch it. They move away and take the quilt with them and it is brought back out.

Personal Response: I really liked this story. I can relate to it because I have a quilt thats been passed down to me. It is comforting to cuddle up in a handed down hand made quilt.

Classroom Extension Ideas: Talk about what makes each student comforted like the quilt comforts the girl. Also have them draw what a quilt they would want would look like. ( )
  ke141703 | Oct 31, 2011 |
Summary: The Quilt Story is about the journey of a quilt, and the comforts it provides. The quilt is made by a mother for her daughter before they leave on wagon train out west. The quilt was something the little girl treasured and used for many different things, such as, a gown or a horse blanket.

Personal Reaction: I did not care much for this book. I think the book was about the passing down of an heirloom, but the story was unclear.

Classroom Extension: Use the book to introduce a lesson about the wagon trains, and the struggles of the settlers. Have each student write down 5 items they would take with them on a wagon train.
  JPercival | Oct 30, 2011 |
Summary:
This story is about a little pioneer girl named Abigail. Her mother makes her a quilt that Abigail loves. She does everything with her quilt, and gets comfort from it. When her family moves she feels like everything is new, but then she gets her quilt out and she feels better. Years later another little girl finds the quilt and finds the same comfort for it.

Personal Reaction:
I was not a big fan of this book. I thought it was a bit gross that mice were eating it, and animals were having babies on it. I did however like the comfort theme with the quilt.

Classroom Extensions:
1. We could make a classroom quilt. Each student would receive a square piece of material, and special fabric markers to decorate it with. Once they were done I would have all of the squares sewn together and a quilt made. It would be our classroom quilt that we could use during reading time.
2. We could discuss what each of our comfort items are; for example a blankie or special stuffed animal, and why it means so much to each of us. ( )
  KaraCalderon | Oct 29, 2011 |
For Ann Doherty Johnson, who taught me the joy of quilting - TJ
For Nannie, Jill and Becca - TDeP
A little girl's mother made the quilt to keep her warm when the snow came down, long ago.

Long ago, a young girl named Abigail put her beloved patchwork quilt in the attic. Now years later, anohter girl discovers the quilt and makes it her own, relying on its warmth to help her feel secure in a new home. "A quilt that provides warmth, fun and comfort to two different generations is the star of this rich picture book . . . dePaola provides a warm, dignified interpretation of Johnston's stroy."--Booklist, starred review. Full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:21 -0400)

A pioneer mother lovingly stitches a beautiful quilt which warms and comforts her daughter Abigail; many years later another mother mends and patches it for her little girl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible