Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke

Cream Puff Murder

by Joanne Fluke

Does anyone else find Hannah incredibly frustrating? This series would be much better if she ever said what she was actually thinking. Also, it's not really fair for her to get upset at one of her boyfriends dating other people when she refuses to choose between them. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book but must admit that it was largely due to my ongoing interest in the characters and little to do with the mystery. The mystery was better towards the end, but it was a long time coming and moved slowly at take off.
If Hannah doesn't make a clear choice for Norman soon, I think I am going to scream. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
The Cream Puff Mystery by Joanne Fluke, read by Suzanne Toren a mystery with recipes

???

Hannah Swensen is preparing for her mother’s regency book launch. She is working out every day at Heavenly Bodies and dieting so she can fit into the dress her mother ordered without finding out if she was still the same size and she is figuring out how to make mini cream puffs to serve at the party. However, one morning when she and her sister finish their pre-workout early, they decide to head into the hot tub for a while when Hannah stumbles across an alarming mess and then finds the notorious flirt, a fitness instructor named Ronnie, dead in the Jacuzzi. None of the local seasoned detectives are allowed on the case as Ronnie has been teaching classes for local police officers and they are too close to the victim to be above being suspects themselves, and none are allowed to speak directly to Hannah, who is unofficially on the case, but they each manage to get their own instructions to her on how she should go about solving the case. In the mean time, she is baking cookies, helping friends, wondering what her cat is doing this all the food she pours into his new feeder and wishing she could get a decent night’s sleep.

This is a cozy mystery I listened to for a challenge in which I needed to read a book with food in the title or on the cover, and I put it under my light reads for the summer. I listened to most of it while gardening, and now when I go to prune my tomatoes I hear the narrator’s voice in my head (but it’s only been since yesterday, so I’m sure that will pass). She did a nice job for this type of story, and if you like this sort of book, I suggest you start at the beginning, since she has a bit of a love triangle thing going on with one of the police detectives and a dentist, and there is history referred to in the story. Not knowing that didn’t hurt my understanding of the events in the book and I may try one or two of the recipes, but not with the enormous amounts of sugar most of them call for.

This is not the sort of novel I normally sit down and read in print, but I did like it as a gardening listen, and if I could find more that come after in playaway format from my library, I’d probably listen to a couple more during the gardening season.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Some of the recipes sound good (particularly the gelatin parfait one) though they are labor intensive (and tool intensive). I thought the plot was sometimes slow to get to the point, though I liked the overall story.

This is the first book by this author that I have read. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
When I first started this series, I didn't like it as well as some of the other cozy mysteries I follow. But that's OK. Since I like to finish what I start, I have been reading the rest in the series. I do like the characters. But at this point in the series, a couple things stand out. Vividly.

One, I wish all those recipes were listed at the back of the book instead of throwing them in between parts of the story. They do not add that much to the story but I think they are nice to have. So therefore, I feel she should put them all in the back of the book so the reader can peruse them their leisure.

Two, the love triangle between Hannah-Mike-Norman has to stop. Enough already. Its time to make a decision. Or at least have Hannah have a serious talk with Mike. But I think Mike is not going to change. This is the way he is, its time to deal with it and move on. I realize that some people may like/be routing for him. But after this book, I think its time to kick him to the curb. "It was just more convenient for him to go across the hall to Ronni" ( I know that its not an exact quote but still ) Seriously?

I don't really know who is worse, Hannah for her indecision or Mike for his playing around when he says he loves her and will never do it again. I think its insulting to the character of Hannah for her to be this way.
  Robin.D..Green | Sep 28, 2015 |
This book is for Cody and Jacob.

In loving memory of Gladys Gladke Oven, my second grade teacher, and Hannah, who passed love for my Hannah on to her daughter.
There was a loud crash as someone dropped a platter.

Bakery owner Hannah Swensen has a dress to fit into and a date with her sister, Andrea, at Lake Eden's new health club, Heavenly Bodies. Dragging herself out of bed on a frigid Minnesota morning for exercise, of all things, is bad enough. Discovering the body of man-eating bombshell Ronni Ward floating in the gym's jacuzzi? Okay, that's worse. Nor does it help that there's a plate of The Cookie Jar's very own cream puffs garnishing the murder scene.

Trying to narrow the list of Ronni's enemies down to fewer than half the town's female population, Hannah has her plate full. Trouble is, when it comes to cookies--and to murder--there's always room for one more...

Hannah Swensen, Lake Eden, Minnesota's finest bakery owner and amateur sleuth, discovers a body floating in a health club jacuzzi. When her part-time flame, Detective Mike Kingston, becomes the prime suspect, he recruits Hannah to find out whodunit.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,270,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible